Thread: New Wheel, Caster, Brake Upgrades

New Wheel, Caster, Brake Upgrades

Hello all, long time lurker and seldom poster here. It's been almost 3 years post accident and the first real changes I've made to my first chair. It's a Quikie GT (I know not very loved around here) and been pretty much problem free until I noticed my caster wheel bearings needed replacing. So I thought now would be the time to upgrade to Froglegs Unitine's and 5 x 1.5" Soft Roll wheels. All I can say is WOW, why did I wait sooo long? These wheels take most of the vibration out and easily roll over thing that would "buck" my original hard rubber stock wheels. The single sided fork is also nice when pulling into seating areas that my old fork would catch on. An extra benefit with the single sided fork is they pick up 50% of the hair (in my non-scientific estimation) of a single sided fork and are much easier to disassemble and clean.

At the same time I switched from my stock Sun, metal rimed 36 spoke POS originals with ugly grey everyday tires to Spinergy LX's with Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution tires. There again, WOW what a difference. These tires are great, with a maximum of 145 psi of pressure and a very grippy tread design, rolling resistance is greatly reduced and my chair looks 100 times better!

The next thing was changing the brakes to a compact scissor type that Quikie uses on the Q7. No more running my thumbs into the old style push to lock mechanisms! I would love to try the Surelock hub mounted brakes and from what I've read on here, would never go back to anything else.

I just wanted to give thanks to the members here for giving opinions and advice on products, it really helped me make decisions. So for anyone on the fence and considering if changes like these are worth it, don't wait like I did you'll be amazed at the difference!
    Last edited by Billabong; 07-31-2011 at 04:10 PM.

My GT is setup with the same wheels, tires and casters, too. It's been going strong for 5 years now, and gets more use than my Lasher on any given day. I like it. Congrats on the upgrades!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

The casters are the best so far imo, and the Q7 scissors are fabulous, with right run your rolling resistence will be even less.

I actually switched from D's Locks too the Quickie compact scissor lock. I only use one, on the right, and it holds great and is very easy to engage. (FWIW, the D's on the GT aren't recommended, IMO, because Quickie has a plastic collar around the camber tube right where the clamp needs to go. This isn't good enough to clamp the piston bracket too, it rotates under load very easily. A set screw in the camber tube, or better yet the bracket, would fix this.)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

[/QUOTE](FWIW, the D's on the GT aren't recommended, IMO, because Quickie has a plastic collar around the camber tube right where the clamp needs to go. This isn't good enough to clamp the piston bracket too, it rotates under load very easily. A set screw in the camber tube, or better yet the bracket, would fix this.)[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Surelock uses a similar mounting position that would rotate around? Anyone with first hand knowledge?