Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I live in the BEST place for the disabled????????

Okaaaaaayyyyyy.?.

Quote Originally Posted by all-buggered-up View Post
    OK I have been to the USA 3 times all up spent 6 months there. America spent my time traveling, Ive been to more states than most Americans. Disability sucks no matter where you are but I would rather work with the system here flawed as it is. I think the disabled in America have it way harder, health care is a national system, free if the doctor bulk bills, Most hospitals are publicly owned and built, most of the prescription drugs are subsidized to pensioners and lower income workers to about $5 per prescipyion and even that has a thresh-hold- I usually reach every year, once the thresh hold is passed most prescription drugs are free. I live in a group of 4 units i have a private courtyard which I can accomodate a party of 20 comfortably with my garden, no snow, ice or sleet. Higher disability pensions, indexed to the cost of living, which is federal as in the health and drug system. I live with my cat old cat died of old age at 23 yo. I am buying a pure burmese blue kitten in september, I can afford a holiday a year, this year i am flying to Darwin end of August for a week with my brother as my carer. The pca's work for a company, I have black listed a few workers from working here, but all carers have an educational certificate to work as carers and are police checked before getting work in the industry. I have 3 hours a week as meal preparation and am entitled a 1 day full spring clean were everything is cleaned each year. My wheelchaiir is bought and repaired by the state government. Being a wheeelchair user I pay the 1/4 of any taxi fare up to $60, most public transport within Adelaide is accessable. If I want to go on shorter trips than flying requires i can ring up the state bus service a couple of days in advance and they will put a bus with a lift on the route. Australia is pretty flat and almost all public buildings are accessable.
    sounds awesome!!! i'd love to go to australia just for a visit and tour the wineries there!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

BTW My state produces 70% of the red wine for Australia. my next trip is to Robe 25 kilometres to the coonawarra to get fish and red wine. my wine racks are looking bare only about 100 bottles left.

Anyhooo... think that got clarified.I would rather things not get confrontational,because things start to snowball.I learned from the last time(( I hope ))when the situation became out of hand.Im really trying to be cool with everyone,and want to give respect...it is sooo hard for me to keep my anger under control.I hope some of you can know where I'm coming from,I really do hope so.I am so hotheaded,need to work on that.
    Gunnslinger8

In my opinion this thread is done!

It sounds like you found a pretty good place Gunnslinger8. It is so hard finding places with wide enough doorways..etc. It's a good thing I'm incomplete, or I'd never get into our bathroom! I have to leave the shower door open when I take a shower, because my bench does'nt fit in all the way, but I make it work. At least I'm home. And I hope you enjoy your new home and manage to get yourself to school. Good luck.

Gunnslinger, if you're happy where you are, it's all good. Pretty awesome, actually. I live in the home I grew up in, and while it's not an ideal house for a chair, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

My seat is 13" wide, so I can get in doorways. Like Smoky Mtn., if I couldn't stand at all I'd have to make major mods. An accessible kitchen, and a laundry room that didn't require major acrobatics, would be heaven.

Still curious if that fenced-in pond aggravates you, though!

Are the females taking over the thread now?I don't want to argue with you all,because I never win. HaHa. Gunnslinger8

Sexist much? LOL. I'm just curious about the pond, and glad you found your niche. PS-Females are the majority and we like to discuss living arrangements!