Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I live in the BEST place for the disabled????????

Do I live in the BEST place for the disabled????????

I will say my experience.I live in a complex for the DISABLED ( not handicapped )it changed my life.I was on the verge of blowing my head off after my acc.,then I received news I was going to go take a look at these new apt. for the disabled.I showed up and fell in love immediately,will talk about how I got to the list ( inside info ) some other time.The apt are 1 story brick with,1-2-3 bedroom,LARGE bathroom,LARGE living room,and decent kitchen...buzzers everywhere,handrails,I got an end apt( the best one in complex )but it was for a deaf individual that turned it down,so I wanted it,every time the doorbell rings; a yellow light starts blinking in everyroom; fire alarm; red light blinks and so on.Its like I'm at a rave when a lot of people stop by.The doorways are really wide, toilets high off the ground,2 peepholes in the door,1 for you,and 1 for able bodied( no joke )The outside is even better,we have a gazebo,and a fenced in pond,all in my backyard outside the backdoor.I guess they fenced in the pond,because they didn't want a clumsy jackass like me to fall in.The place has a video surveillance system( cameras everywhere you look ) I don't have to worry,WHY? What's my name?The main reason this is the best spot for the disabled.LOCATION!You can roll to the mall,2 movie theaters,Walmart,Target,too many restaurants,the gun range( woo hooo )and the MOST important thing 2 colleges! ( all in rolling distance )
    I just want to finish by saying I don't know if I deserve this,to be so fortunate in my circumstances because I'm moody and tend to complain about the little things that aggravate me...too many negative personality traits to list.I wish some of the great people I've met through the diff. forums could be here to share this.We would have so much fun,we would be evicted by the end of the month.( joking)
    I know there are going to be some out there that is going to say " too good to true" well I'm telling you it's not.I wouldn't waste time typing this,if it wasn't true.The worst thing about this place,there is a 5 yr waiting list.The complex manager says too many people want to reside here than you can imagine.
    Gunnslinger8.
    Last edited by Gunnslinger8; 07-28-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Negative part.

enjoy the new digs. friend in atlanta just bought himself a condo and he is loving it.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Thanks, been out here for a while now.
    I'm getting ready for school and Dr.s app...busy day( I need to be,idle time means psycho time ) but I will check throughout the day and reply.
    Gunnslinger8
    Last edited by Gunnslinger8; 07-28-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Awesome GS, where in Atl?

I lived in Marietta then Buckhead, was injured at my apt a few blocks from Shepherd.

Interesting. The difference in outlook. The best place I have lived in the 30 years since my accident is in my motorhome. I'm a T6 complete. So haul myself in. No lift. I sit on a 5 gallon plastic bucket in the shower. Most summers I live in the woods taking care of a camp ground. Dirt, gravel, rocks to wheel on. Pulling my red wagon with my mops and buckets to clean the out houses. Shovel to clean out the camp fire pits.

If it works for you, rock that shit! I'm considering condo living myself, when I break the shackles tying me to OK.

Except that I like space.

My ideal place is my bff's house in Santa Fe. Brick floors, big deck, tiny, 2 acres that kind of maintain themselves as desert yards do. Hot tub. (Which does not maintain itself, unfortunately.) Built of cinderblocks, concrete, rebar and adobe, logs called vigas support the ceiling, that house is solid. plus basically one side is windows for passive solar heat. It has central heat which she doesn't use, but for me I would, constant fireplace tending would kill me. She bought a window a/c unit just for when I visit, she works all day and the nights cool down up there. I think the weather up there in general is just better, at least for me. It snows, but it also melts, so you have to lay in supplies to hunker down a bit in winter.

The only thing is the driveway, gravel, literally up-mountain, I would have to drive or ride my 4-wheeler to mail and trash. Which is hardly the biggest chore in the world. And septic systems, water in general, are always a big issue in New Mexico, just the cost of doing business.

Santa Fe is fun, and Albuquerque medical care and airport, concerts, etc., aren't too far to deal with.

You can't roll to a damned thing from that house, but I can drive the 15 min. to SF itself, or the 5 min. to the dog park.

We've talked about her selling it to me, she needs more space for the many dogs she fosters. The neighbors complain about the barking. Or we could compile resources, both sell out and find or build a compound, I'm one of the few ppl that can deal w/ the dog issue, it seems.

My neighbor's houses are about 10 ft from me, my house is too big and expensive, and my neighbors know every time somebody yells. So I stay indoors, but the neighborhood kids know who's meeting who, who's being true, etc, just b/c they ride skateboards and cut thru yards, as kids always do.

That fenced-in pond would just piss me off, isn't there like a sidewalk to it? Otherwise, it's just breeding mosquitoes! I love to fish,love the water in general, but can't ever seem to get to the water.
    Last edited by betheny; 07-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.

I wouldnt live in the USA and be disabled if you paid me.. Its harder than being a prisoner in hell...

Why?

They have really great accessibility and even get jobs, I think every country have their pro and cons when it comes to live with a disability.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Tell me how you really feel buggered.It sounds like you know about hell from reading your location on profile page...most of us didn't have a choice about being disabled.I can't afford to live in another country( nor do I want to )I don't know maybe a third world one.
    Gunnslinger8

Comparing the disabled to prisoners...huh interesting.The old me would have a problem with that,but I would like you to clarify.Would you?
    Gunnslinger8