Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: Back on the road to a cure...

"this thread is like a genital wart that won't go away."

It's more like herpes. Often you're convinced it's gone for good, but then, out of the blue, it rears its ugly head and the outbreak is so bad you think it will never go away for good.

As long as VG (or one of his pseudonyms) can revive it from the depths, it will persist.

It was right at the edge of sunset, I was on the beach in the Old Country, back when...

As I rounded a group of rocks, I heard a loud scream, then another. Alarmed, I looked about to find an old woman covered in a shawl, facing teh sunset standing knee-deep in the waves and shaking her fist. I walked towards her. 'Are you alright?' I asked in my best Greek, not good, by the way.

'No, I'm not,' said the old, crinkled woman, staring at the sea.

'What's wrong?' I asked. 'Can I help?'

She turned to me and, with a look like a polished steel blade, she said, 'I'm shouting at God, I'm angry with the sonofabitch, and no, you can't help.'

vgrafen

Updates, rantings, tidbits:

I have gone ahead and purchased an EF-300 unit, which should be arriving in the next few weeks, bypassing the arduous and complicated going to physical therapy/medicare approval cycle. I'm looking forward to doing home therapy, and coupling that with a device similar to the Debbie7 exercise piece, a great work, by the way, and thank you , Debbie. I know Caroline up in Fallon, NV, is building one in her garage for her and Nancy B and, by all indications, it looks to be damn functional/appropriate. The cost is right in there, too. Saving my pennies from my humiliating clerk job has finally led me somewhere.
    ~
    I have been purposely ignoring the stream of vitriol from disgruntled anti-stem cell emailers, Morgan, but I will say, if your contrition is indeed genuine, I have no hard feelings and like I keep saying, paralysis is the enemy, not you. I would appreciate it if you brought your thoughts here, though, but that is entirely your option. I was taken aback by your letter, but you have to understand, I'm gonna let some water flow under the bridge and see where we are as time proceeds before I go and declare us friends. You accused me of racism, remember, and supported it with nothing other than your anger.
    ~
    I have been waiting for anyone, other than myself, to comment on the rdf misguided attack on my dear friend, Mary, and though some here came to her defense, and not wishing to further the crap slinging, I do need to say these few words:

One thing I never do, and check the threads and postings all you want, is lambast AB's and caregivers who are not paralyzed, over not understanding what we go through. This is so off-limits as to be inconceivable, and since you took such a venal shot on an innocent, rdf, and in the same breath attacked me for having low character, or words to that effect, I think
    you owe her an apology and a recantation.

In my sweeping descriptions of the horrors of paralysis and the loads of rebuke I toss upon myself and other plegics, I leave everybody who isn't paralyzed, and therefore cannot concieve what it is like, alone. To suggest, as you have done, that caring, loving and supportive non-paralyzed people such as Mary ought not to have a say or are in some ways are not valid, is flat out bs. I believe it is you, sir, and not I, that exhibits tremendous meanness of spirit and consistently limited, shallow thinking.

'vg thinks being paralyzed is something to be ashamed of, something to hide from, to run away from, to be embarassed of, something disgusting. That's why I told him he can't help others until he likes himself, which he obviously doesn't. I can tell you the recipient of his insult doesn't feel that way, nor do 99% of sci folks that I know. Those of us who have dealt with it for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years don't feel that way, but we haven't given up or turned against our brothers because we are paralyzed and hate ourselves because of it.'

You have only read what you want to read, rdf. I am not ashamed, hiding, running away or embarrassed, though yes, paralysis is horrible and its effects, disgusting. I periodically run, hide and lose my moment-to-moment battle with this condition, don't you? I am no quitter, however, or whiner, nor do I launch attacks where none are warranted. You revealed a cowardly spirit, sir, in your attack on Mary. More work in front of the mirror.

Where in my writing does it indicate I don't like myself? Sure, I don't like my new body, isn't that clear, but I have great respect for my abilites, compassion, tolerance, balance, enthusiasm, clarity, wit, honesty and effing guts. Like myself? You are clueless if this is your comfortable conclusion.

And you so jumble your thoughts from one subject to another as to reveal a chaotic, simplistic world view composed of all sorts of shallow, half-baked thoughts. Thank God YOU, sir, are not out there speaking for me or the community.

On this -and you make a point but you so mix the issues that to argue against you is pointless, though I shall- there are many different audiences which need to be educated/approached/battled with in our effort to build momentum for a cure. One such is the political realm, an area I have little to no access to and one I leave to others more qualified, more connected. I doubt, however, we have a regular stream of politicians and their aides coming to review our forum, and my thread, and thus your critique that I may turn away people based on the severity of my tone is another moment of hogwash.

I am aware that your reading skills are flawed, so I'll reiterate: I'm reaching regular people, mostly AB's and lots of plegics, who want information on what is going on in cure research and what they can do to assist, and who want real-life information on the details of the condition. You want me to paint a portrait that everything's great in these wheelchairs? Dust off, son, 'cause it ain't so and I'll never lie about what takes place for the sake of some imagined audience who can only handle comfortable placidity.

As for new plegics struggling to come to grips with the horrors before them, what are you suggesting we do, offer only pleasantries and say, 'oh, you'll get used to paralysis, it ain't so bad, why, there's wheelchair basketball to enjoy and...'?

Maybe you left your integrity and honesty in the MRI after you were busted apart, but not I. Tell me the plain, straight-up facts about what life in paralysis is about, and show me where there's hope, and let me do the rest. Sugar-coating? Go ask somebody else to lie to the public, not this plegic. You don't like my approach, fine, you don't have to. Like myself? What a shallow thing to say.

And if you ever offend Mary or any other innocent AB again, you'll deal with me directly. Now go get some education, improve your readings skills, and put a little more zinc in your diet to toughen up your skin so every little comment doesn't send you into paroxysms of righteousness. Good day, sir!

vgrafen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by numbnuts:

Agreed. But don't count on any support from the moderators, they're asleep at the wheel on this one.
    No, they are not. This one has a problem with censorship, personal attacks and the scope and depth of what most call and include in a "cure".

I am locking this thread due to length. I have also started a thread in the Feedback Forum about its content and my reasons for leaving this thread in the Cure Forum. To discuss your dislike for, like for, antipathy or whatever concerning this thread that you feel needs addressing or just to air things out please go to:

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=239842

Sue Pendleton

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

[This message was edited by Sue Pendleton on 02-09-03 at 20:02.]