Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rubber gloves not covered by insurance??

rubber gloves not covered by insurance??

I just recently hired a pca to help me in the mornings. I found out my insurance will not cover rubber gloves for them. They said the only way they will cover is if they're for bladder incontinent. Is there a way to get around this or will I always have to pay for them?

ins, even my good work ins., never paid for gloves. it's stupid. my bladder has been paralyzed for 25 yrs (incontinent). anybody out there have ins pay for gloves for bladder or bowel? never have for me.

Nope. They are not considered a supply. They consider them to be in the same category as toilet paper. I can say this until I got paralyzed I did not regularly keep rubber gloves in my bathroom. Doesn't make sense. Just like they don't cover Magic Bullets!!! Don't make sense either!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't use most of the gloves that come with my cath kits but hate to throw them away. Want me to box up a bunch and mail them to you?
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hi, if you order sterile gloves, they will pay and you don't need to explain why. Insurance is ridiculous at times.

Nope, never had gloves paid for - sterile or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost6871 View Post
    Hi, if you order sterile gloves, they will pay and you don't need to explain why. Insurance is ridiculous at times.
    I just don't think it is all that simple. When I was on private pay HMO insurance, the insurance company would not cover gloves of any kind, or disposable bed pads, or alcohol wipes, or betadine wipes, or lubricant for cathing and bowel programs. There was a time, probably 15-20 years ago when I was a subscriber to a PPO insurance that they covered these items, but they had to have a prescription from a physician and had to go before a pre authorization review before they were covered.
    "ghost6871," could you share with us what type of insurance you have that is covering the sterile gloves and under what medical code?
    All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I just don't think it is all that simple. When I was on private pay HMO insurance, the insurance company would not cover gloves of any kind, or disposable bed pads, or alcohol wipes, or betadine wipes, or lubricant for cathing and bowel programs. There was a time, probably 15-20 years ago when I was a subscriber to a PPO insurance that they covered these items, but they had to have a prescription from a physician and had to go before a pre authorization review before they were covered.
    "ghost6871," could you share with us what type of insurance you have that is covering the sterile gloves and under what medical code?
    All the best,
    GJ
    My insurance covers alot of those things but I don't use them, so I told them to stop sending the stuff.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Wow, it totally sucks.. my insurance will not pay for anything that is disposable.
    Incomplete T-12/L-1

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    All the best,
    GJ
    think i can answer that. ins of all kinds (including medicare) have paid for cath changing kits for me. there is 1 pair in each kit. my work ins. paid for 2 kits/month (foley). medicare has paid for 1 since been on it last summer. dr insisted i need two foley changes/month. still waiting to see if that flies.

so far, i have found medicare sucks.

although, with bowel care, none of us get just regular gloves.

oh wait, i was responding to wrong post. yes, ghost, i'd like to hear your answer.