Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cure-where do u get your numbers?

cure-where do u get your numbers?

for the last while i have been reading on the board "a cure is coming" kinda reminds me of one time when i saw a guy on the street corner with a big cross saying god is coming. that was awhile ago, and well...i havent seen god yet
    of course this guy didnt speculate specifics, and hence the specifics for *when the cure is coming* has not really, in essence, been set out yet. it seems to change from week to week day to day.

but one thing seems to be obvious, you all seem to think -atleast most of u- that a cure is on the way. Even if we all cant agree when. but the real question that makes me wounder is where does everyone get thier numbers? from doctors? from this forum? from friends? from tv and media? from what? or is it simply faith that one day somehow, somewhere, someone has got to figure this SCI stuff out and its gotta be soon.

or maybe was it 5 years ago people were saying that "five years from now there will be a cure" then 5 years later it didnt happen so they decided to say "well they are going to figure it out it didnt happen in the last 5 years but its gotta happen in the next five"

so tell me where you getting your numbers from?

An easy suggestion

Instead of looking through all of the various posts and forums for answers I would pick a topic a little more focused like "restorative therapies" within the search feature above and see what comes up. Then start reading.

Without your being more specific Shanna its hard to know what you're looking for exactly, timelines? statistics? dates? trials? etc.

Can you be more specific?

Onward and Upward!

i am not looking through the posts for answers for i am not dumb enough to believe that there are any cus if there were answers would i be in this chair sitting infront of this computer? no, hell no.
    what i want is to know where you all get your numbers from? because i have heard nothing about a cure in the outside world from doctors and people. the only time i hear of one is when i come on here. and even then everyone has thier own ideas of when it is coming. 5months 5 years? i dont care cus i know it wont happen in my life time and i dare the world to prove me wrong.
    but when you read topics like "preparing for the cure" and others like it, it kinda makes you stop and think WHAT CURE? WHERE ARE U GETTING AN IDEA THAT THERE IS ONE COMING AND HOW DO YOU INDIVIDUALLY DECIDE WHEN IT IS COMING?
    or is it more like those religious people who claim god is coming...merely a faith that keeps us going

"i dont care cus i know it wont happen in my life time and i dare the world to prove me wrong."

Nobody is going to knock on your door and FORCE you to get out of your chair. I dare you to prove the world wrong... and recover. It will take a big push from medicine & a lot of hard work (ie: gait training, etc) and time but it can happen.

If you are 70 years old that may be a different story.... but that vast majority of us are less than 70 years old and will see substantial functional regeneration in our lifetimes. Some of us guinea pigs will be seeing it in the VERY near future. Some of us may wait longer.

I KNOW I'll be out of this chair soon and I base my beliefs on facts.

1. Significant functional improvement (ie: walking) has been proven on rats over and over. They have been walking since 1996 (Cheng & Olsen)
    What works on rats USUALLY works on humans. That's why we do rat experiments.

2. Many places are now doing OEG, Stem Cell, Growth factors on humans today and many more are moving to human trials soon. If there was no reason to believe that the therapy would work, they would not be moving to trials.

3. Nobody knows more about SCI and progress than Dr. Young. He has said over and over that he strongly believes significant functional regeneration in humans is coming. Look at the chart he put together for when we may expect pivotal clinical trials results.

4. We are on the verge of a new Medical Revolution. (Regenerative Medicine)
    It is going to change the face of medicine & disease. Why do you think there is all this talk all over the world of ESC, ASC, stem cell regulations, etc.

Shanna, if you are just feeling down right now I can understand why you feel you will never see improvement in your lifetime. It's frustrating that every day we read of new studies in rats and how nothing ever seems to trickle down to us. But if after everything you've seen and read here AND the fact that you are very young AND you still don't believe you will see significant functional improvement in your lifetime... well then I strongly disagree.

i am not looking through the posts for answers for i am not dumb enough to believe that there are any cus if there were answers would i be in this chair sitting infront of this computer? no, hell no.

well that is where the answer to your question is to be found.
    think of curing sci the same as putting a 1,000 peice puzzle
    together. the closer to finishing the puzzle, the faster things
    will go. the puzzle is more than 95% finish. it took 22 years
    to reach this 95% mark, it wont take 20 years or a lifetime
    to go the last 5%.

now you do the math

95% = 22 years
    5% = ? years

Shanna, Sh0rty whatever name you're using check out the thread entitled "Project Walk Director..."

Maybe that'll change your attitude.

Onward and Upward!

ahhhh Shorty....

...I do beleive I am in love.

I have felt the exact same way as you...only for me it started 18 years ago, people telling me..' a cure in 5 years...do not despair"...then after those 5 years past I heard it yet again...and again...and again.

I've been on the internet now for over 10 years and there is and always will be people trying to tell you "5 more years"...5 years from now they will be saying the same dang thing.

I think it has something to do with research, if a researcher was honest and said "Listen...we need more money...lots more money....but I can honestly say that I don't know when a cure will be found"...that I could deal with, but those that donate money for a cure want to hear a reasonable time frame...and if the researcher said...."hhmmmmmm...maybe 20 years"....well that money would go to something a little more plausible.

I do disagree with you a little....I do think a cure is on its way...the time frame is what I don't know about...it may be "5 years from now"...or 100. I don't know and neither does anyone else on this board. They can only speculate.

yeah project walk is good from what i have read and heard and wish i could go try it, but it is not possible. besides it would cost like 1 milion dollars the way the canadian dollar is

Mike,

don't be too optimistic. I don't want to sound so sarcastically, but maybe you would need to spend more years as a quad in your wheelchair.

Until recently, I have been by far more optimist than you are. However, today I can tell you I have ever regreted nothing more than the fact that I survived my injury.

Joe

Shorty,

I don't know a lot about you other than you have only been injured for 13 months. You still have a long way to go in regards to your body healing on its own. I am a quad 18 months post. I am still getting return every week. Also you don't have to go to project walk for gait training. I bought my own machine, ordered a harness and my fiance is building me a lift. All for about 1000. If you want particulars e-mail me.

Deb