Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Send a question to the new CEO of Rick Hansen Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Man, I don't even want to get into what Steve Did and didn't do. It all came around full circle for him; last I heard he is getting ready to do some prison time. He never did get it together. He deserved everything he got.

Rick and all of us did do some tricks on each other lol. Dang, we were just young bucks then.

What one perceives and what another sees may be two different things. I'm not one for getting into the minute details and say it was not that way.

Ok, so there is something true in that blog post.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Pao, Believe me, I am not afraid of you. And please don't tell me what his original dream was because I was less than 6 feet away from him when he made the decision to roll around the world. We were all in mourning for Terry, drinking a few Canadian Blue, when Tim Frick and Rick came up with the idea of going around the world. At first we spoke about just finishing the run from where Terry had to finally admit that he had to go in for tests due to his chest hurting. It turned out to be cancer again. Then the talk got to be about hell, why not go around the world, and it blossomed from there. Stan Stronge and Marshall Smith helped get the organization details in order and introduce those with money connections to the idea as Rick trained, did marathons, the first disabled race in the a/b Olympics and finish school. It was not about cure, that came about as a handle when the organizing committee came about to help with the details of the run. It was always about accessibility, inclusion, keeping a Positive Mental Attitude and physical fitness. Cure was barley mentioned because even the few researchers who were interested in its possibilites had no idea of where to start or if it was even feasible. It was unheard of really, the science was just not there yet. I think Cure came into the picture because of Terrys' dedication for a cure for Cancer.
    I have read this several times and I believe it is all true.

It all makes perfect sense to me having spent some time of my life in meeting rooms with people inventing MKT strategies, brand names, visions, missions, selling points, selling propositions etc..

.. I was less than 6 feet away from him when he made the decision to roll around the world. We were all in mourning for Terry, drinking a few Canadian Blue, when Tim Frick and Rick came up with the idea of going around the world. ...............
    .. Stan Stronge and Marshall Smith helped get the organization details in order and introduce those with money connections to the idea.............
    .... It was not about cure, that came about as a handle when the organizing committee came about to help with the details of the run. It was always about accessibility, inclusion, keeping a Positive Mental Attitude and physical fitness. Cure was barley mentioned because even the few researchers who were interested in its possibilites had no idea of where to start or if it was even feasible. It was unheard of really, the science was just not there yet. I think Cure came into the picture because of Terrys' dedication for a cure for Cancer.
    In other words the CURE has been just an essential marketing tool since the beginning as the cure is what made people donate to Terry's run.

So in other words the CURE part of the whole idea it has been a scam since the beginning, does that make sense? To me it does.

25 years ago, Cure wasn't even mentioned by anyone. Sure it transistioned as things got better defined. In the beginning no one donated to Terry's run.

How is it a scam, is it because they aren't throwing money towards a cure like the 7.9 mill CRF threw away just looking at a study. Why aren't you taking researchers to task for not being more open to working together?

I sense some envy and jealousy in most of these posts. It seems people want others to do what they won't.

You said you were in Marketing. Then you should know vision, objectives, goals and direction are always being refined.

If you have a problem with the Foundation, by all means take them to task. Saying that someone is a scammer, not for a cure, belittling their accomplishments is not going to get you very far changing the direction of any foundation. You will be considered a whiner and any credibility as a problem solver will be diminished..
    I find it very hypocrytical that you besmearch a foundation, you've probably never donated too or had any idea of what their goals were until Rick started being in the news again. You want to tell a 245 million dollar foundation that they are scammers and cheats even though the US, canadian Gov't are inviting them to participate in trials,yet no one here has acknowledged that is a good thing. Why aren't you out protesting your own gov't for not being more pro active in research money. You want the cure to happen but not willing to pay for it.

I agree full hardily that you have every right to ask questions of RHF; I disagree on your tactics and continued run down of a person who has dedicated his life to keeping SCI issues in the forefront.

25 years ago, Cure wasn't even mentioned by anyone. Sure it transistioned as things got better defined. In the beginning no one donated to Terry's run.

How is it a scam, is it because they aren't throwing money towards a cure like the 7.9 mill CRF threw away just looking at a study. Why aren't you taking researchers to task for not being more open to working together?

I sense some envy and jealousy in most of these posts. It seems people want others to do what they won't.

You said you were in Marketing. Then you should know vision, objectives, goals and direction are always being refined.

If you have a problem with the Foundation, by all means take them to task. Saying that someone is a scammer, not for a cure, belittling their accomplishments is not going to get you very far changing the direction of any foundation. You will be considered a whiner and any credibility as a problem solver will be diminished..
    I find it very hypocrytical that you besmearch a foundation, you've probably never donated too or had any idea of what their goals were until Rick started being in the news again. You want to tell a 245 million dollar foundation that they are scammers and cheats even though the US, canadian Gov't are inviting them to participate in trials,yet no one here has acknowledged that is a good thing. Why aren't you out protesting your own gov't for not being more pro active in research money. You want the cure to happen but not willing to pay for it.

I agree full hardily that you have every right to ask questions of RHF; I disagree on your tactics and continued run down of a person who has dedicated his life to keeping SCI issues in the forefront.
    Very Very well said Patrick!
    Here's Hoping!

25 years ago, Cure wasn't even mentioned by anyone.
    Just to start:

Charles Carson, Early King of Cure

.....He was hurt in a plane crash in 1976. Two years later he founded the Spinal Cord Society, with its iconic X through the wheelchair logo: cure not care. He used to say, “A lot more people have died from no hope than from false hope.” He always had hope, but he wasn’t the roll model type.

Carson used to write about people with disabilities having a “Damascus experience” and therefore coming to terms with their new reality. He himself never had such a conversion.

http://newmobility.com/articleView.cfm?id=11828

So in 1978 there was already someone & something about a cure for SCI...

25 years ago, Cure wasn't even mentioned by anyone.
    Another important cure initiative several years before RHF:

The Reeve Foundation got its start *almost 30 years ago or so when Henry Stifel was spinal cord injured. His father, Hank, reached out to their friends and they came together to form a foundation in their name. They didn't realize it at the time, but their organization, by creating hope where there was none, would become the birth of a movement.

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...a_Movement.htm

See also:

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation's roots stretch back to 1982 when the American Paralysis Association was formed by a group of people that refused to accept the prevailing notion that the spinal cord, once injured, could not be repaired. The founders of the American Paralysis Association had an unwavering belief that researchers and neuroscientists, working together, would find a way to connect and regenerate the damaged nerves and cells that result in paralysis.

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...Foundation.htm

That said I remain very critical about CDRF as I think they have lost focus and they could do much better.
    As I have posted before I have started questioning CDRF well before RHF and I have more questions coming for them.

But still if you ask CDRF what research projects to cure SCI they have founded they can come up with a long list.
    If you ask the same question to RHF they come up with nothing, that is why I have started to think the cure part of RHF it has been a SCAM since the beginning....
    ...but if anybody can come up with a list of research projects about regenerating the spinal cord that RHF has founded I'll be happy to learn about that.
    If there is no-thing significant about curing SCI done by RHF then the cure side of RHF it has been a SCAM since the beginning.

I am sorry but in my opinion all the info that come out so far about RHF seem to support the scam hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    Very Very well said Patrick!
    Not very well in my opinion.
    He didn't came up with facts to prove wrong my SCAM hypothesis.

Why aren't you taking researchers to task for not being more open to working together?
    Working on that too. Some of them don't like me already.

As I have posted before I think some researchers are idiots with a PHD... ...just like you can have an idiot as a prime minister (talking about mine - LOL)

Saying that someone is a scammer, not for a cure, belittling their accomplishments is not going to get you very far changing the direction of any foundation. You will be considered a whiner and any credibility as a problem solver will be diminished..
    The info you provided led me to the hypothesis that there is a scam here.

Once again I have tried to approach RHF friendly and I have been basicly ignored, so I have changed attitude.
    I agree that the chances I can change their direction are close to 0% at the moment.

By being friendly I have obtained 0.0000%

I think you could play a constructive role as a mediator here...