Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 166

Thread: Send a question to the new CEO of Rick Hansen Foundation

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Patrick is right that Rick started his trek around the world for Terry ... as it went it became more about accessibility and inclusion.

    I'm not sure what year 'cure' popped into the verbiage but it used to be 50% cure research, 50% quality of life.

    I'd love for them to fund a cure but there is nothing to fund i.e. no cure.
    Dear Lynnifer and Patrick,
    I don't know what information you have stating that Rick didn't start this all to cure paralysis, but according to an email I received in response to our emails, RHF's story is different from yours.

    The letter states: "Rick Hansen started a journey 25 years ago with drive, determination and a dream to make the world more accessible by raising awareness of the potential of people with disabilities, and to find a cure for spinal cord injury (SCI)."

    So now, since the dream was clearly to cure SCI from the beginning, I guess there's nothing stopping us from talking about cure and RHF.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

    "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    so can we now retire this thread to the forum to bitch and complain?

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=80733
    Dear Mr. Quadfather,
    You can see my response to this on the "send a second question" thread.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

    "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

  3. #103
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    The letter states: "Rick Hansen started a journey 25 years ago with drive, determination and a dream to make the world more accessible by raising awareness of the potential of people with disabilities, and to find a cure for spinal cord injury (SCI)."

    So now, since the dream was clearly to cure SCI from the beginning, I guess there's nothing stopping us from talking about cure and RHF.
    That person who responded to you is misinformed. *sigh* I will hunt down his autobiography ... I know it's around here somewhere ... and look for the exact page number. I'll scan and post it once I find it.

    You were still in Canada in 1985-1986? I remember the newscasts reporting what I said and what Patrick said to be true; that he started it because of Terry Fox. It morphed into awareness for disability/spinal cord injuries. I'm not even sure how far he had gone before it even was picked up in the media in Canada.

    Not sure how anyone could question Patrick since they were in rehab and knew each other? What would he have to gain by lying?
    Last edited by lynnifer; 08-07-2011 at 04:16 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    That person who responded to you is misinformed. *sigh* I will hunt down his autobiography ... I know it's around here somewhere ... and look for the exact page number. I'll scan and post it once I find it.

    You were still in Canada in 1985-1986? I remember the newscasts reporting what I said and what Patrick said to be true; that he started it because of Terry Fox. It morphed into awareness for disability/spinal cord injuries. I'm not even sure how far he had gone before it even was picked up in the media in Canada.

    Not sure how anyone could question Patrick since they were in rehab and knew each other? What would he have to gain by lying?
    No, I wouldn't accuse anyone of lying but apparently RHF views it differently. It was 25 years ago so maybe the dream was a little less pronounced, I don't know.
    It was also mentioned on a thread that there is an old CBC nnewscast from way back when that mentions this.
    I was still in Canada when Rick started but I don't remember one way or another.

    Unlike the first question, I don't believe that they replied will nilly as it took one week to get an answer, compared with two days last time.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

    "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

  5. #105
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    May I ask what exact regeneration research it is that you would like them to invest in?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    May I ask what exact regeneration research it is that you would like them to invest in?
    Ah come on Lynnifer. There are 100s of labs/scientists working on regeneration of CNS and nanotechnologies to support regeneration. Just have a look at the number of papers that have been published in the last 12 months. Do you want Dennis to do all the work for you?

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Ah come on Lynnifer. There are 100s of labs/scientists working on regeneration of CNS and nanotechnologies to support regeneration. Just have a look at the number of papers that have been published in the last 12 months. Do you want Dennis to do all the work for you?
    I actually started writing until I realized that I was being taken for a little ride.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

    "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

  8. #108
    Patrick, Lynnifer and others,

    please have a look at this recent interview of Rick Hansen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyY5k...layer_embedded

    After 40 seconds he saies " we are still focusing on the original dream of finding a cure "

    Pay attention also at minute 2.25 when he saies "...when I was talking about a cure 25 years ago..."


    So I am not dreaming, but you may have a very "selective memory"
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 08-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  9. #109
    If he is not lying, is obvious that he doesn´t know whats going on in his own organization.
    Focusing in cure SCI ...
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

    -Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

  10. #110
    Senior Member 0xSquidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    1,072
    I'm sure Patrick and Lynnifer are not lying. But sure enough, the RHF talks about working towards a cure (world without paralysis) and it's a big thing when it comes to getting money.
    That money is not being used towards a cure, that's clear too now.

    We have seen this in other organisations (yes, in Europe too, in case anyone thinks we have an obsession with Canada, which we don't have), so sadly this is not rare in big organisations. It's actually a good definition for "big org".
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

    Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

    http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
  3. Rick Hansen foundation given $4 million for spinal cord program
    By Leif in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •