Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Botox in bladder

  1. #1

    Botox in bladder

    I got botox in the bladder today to see if that could help the high pressure in the bladder. Wow, that was so painful and now I am bleeding when I pee. It took more than 30 minutes with all the shots. I have sensation but the sensation is strange and things are more painful than normal. I am not a chicken

    I know I have to do it again after a while but it is anything I can do so it is not so painful. They did put Xylocain in the bladder but I cried, it is a long time since I have done a thing so painful, I usually don't cry for needles. It was the same painful as when they took the eggs out because of ICSI. But that was only 8 eggs and took 10 minutes.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    south eastern Australia
    Posts
    134
    i have just seen a new physician who suggested I have botox in my bladder. I have a SP catheter but due to high pressure and spasms in my bladder I often pee in my pants. He thinks it will help. I have no sensation, so at least I won't feel it like you have.
    The problem with botox is you have to keep having it done every few months. Is it worth the pain?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    i have just seen a new physician who suggested I have botox in my bladder. I have a SP catheter but due to high pressure and spasms in my bladder I often pee in my pants. He thinks it will help. I have no sensation, so at least I won't feel it like you have.
    The problem with botox is you have to keep having it done every few months. Is it worth the pain?

    I have no sensation so do not feel the injections. Regardless, I have the procedure done at the hospital and am sedated to ward off AD.

    I went 18 months between my 2nd and 3rd (and most recent) treatment, and was only barely beginning to leak at that time. It's been almost 7 months since my last round and still going strong -- that is, dry.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    i have just seen a new physician who suggested I have botox in my bladder. I have a SP catheter but due to high pressure and spasms in my bladder I often pee in my pants. He thinks it will help. I have no sensation, so at least I won't feel it like you have.
    The problem with botox is you have to keep having it done every few months. Is it worth the pain?
    Yes, it was worth the pain if it is working I have to call the uroterapist in two weeks and tell her how things feel. I hated the meds for the bladder pressore, and I tried all the different kind and I got dry everywhere even in the intestines. I have gone for 40 years without any meds for that so if I still get UTI, I stop. The bad thing is that I have to cath all the time with the botox, I think that is tiresome. I have to transfere to the toilet and take off my pants, cath and then back in chair and put the pants on. I can't cath in the chair and keep the pants on. It is not working

    My kidneys was working as normal, I am happy for that since I have peeing on my own most of the time.

    And they don't sedate here, they did before but have stopped. It is costing the hospital 6000 dollars to sedate each patient.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    south eastern Australia
    Posts
    134
    That's encouraging to know, I think i would be prepared to do it if the injections lasted more than the 3 to 5 months that my doctor suggested.
    i'd be very glad not to be worrying about wetting myself, it happens often and there's no obvious cues.
    Even though I have no sensation I sometimes get a very uncomfortable feeling in the general bladder area that I presume is spasms.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    south eastern Australia
    Posts
    134
    WFE, I tried the Oxybutynin patches for a few weeks, I didn't want to take it orally because of the drying problem but the patches gave me a skin rash.
    Why are you having to cath more since the botox? i wonder if this is commonly what happens.

  7. #7
    I've been getting botox for like roughly 5 years. I've had great success with it & usually have to have it done every 6 months give or take a couple weeks. I don't have any feeling & the procedure itself takes no more than 3-5 minutes..very fast! 30 minutes seems like a long time for you. The bleeding should go away after the first day or so....be careful tho! One time I had a bad experience with the bleeding & it started like clotting and was unable to pass through a catheter. I experienced horrible AD from it since my bladder wouldn't empty and spent 4 days in the hospital flushing my bladder to stop the bleeding.

    I hope you get good results from the botox & your pain calms down soon!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    WFE, I tried the Oxybutynin patches for a few weeks, I didn't want to take it orally because of the drying problem but the patches gave me a skin rash.
    Why are you having to cath more since the botox? i wonder if this is commonly what happens.
    I have tried the patches too. I got both dry and got a skin rash from them. I think the moment the Botox is working, the bladder is paralysed totally and it is impossible to pee, at least that is what they have told me all the time. I couldn't pee on the patches or the meds either. I usually pee like normal so I do this for not getting any UTI and then it is better to cath even if I really don't like it. I am going back to talk about the Mitro because I have been cathing on and off for ten years and still have problems with it. Even the nurse did not find the urethra today and she could see. And that is the third time a nurse who is use to cath is missing.

    Gurly, I didn't expect it to take so long time. I didn't expect it to be so painful either. I didn't count how many injections they gave me but it was many. And I take care if I am bleeding more, thanks for the advice.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I have tried the patches too. I got both dry and got a skin rash from them. I think the moment the Botox is working, the bladder is paralysed totally and it is impossible to pee, at least that is what they have told me all the time. I couldn't pee on the patches or the meds either. I usually pee like normal so I do this for not getting any UTI and then it is better to cath even if I really don't like it. I am going back to talk about the Mitro because I have been cathing on and off for ten years and still have problems with it. Even the nurse did not find the urethra today and she could see. And that is the third time a nurse who is use to cath is missing.

    Gurly, I didn't expect it to take so long time. I didn't expect it to be so painful either. I didn't count how many injections they gave me but it was many. And I take care if I am bleeding more, thanks for the advice.
    Hi "Bente,"
    In the United States, when Botox is used in able bodied patients (overactive bladder or Interstitial Cystitis, etc), the procedure is usually performed under general or local anesthesia or "conscious sedation," I understand that your health system is not supporting or offering these services. I am sure there are many insurance companies in the US that don't offer them either.

    It takes a few days to a week for the Botox to become totally effective. You may be cathing more often now because the Botox is not fully effective and/or the bladder is very sensitive and tender after all those injections.

    The bleeding you experienced/are experiencing is normal for a few days after the Botox injections. It should diminish soon, unless you are having bleed of the urethra because of trauma or a false passage.

    If you decide not to continue with Botox injections in future, I would suggest that you look into a supra pubic catheter (SPC) before you go to a more difficult and complicated procedure like a Mitrofanoff. Yes, you will have a catheter in place all the time and yes you will have a belly, thigh, or leg bag all the time, but the SPC is reversible and may give your bladder and urethra a rest from cathing, while you contemplate your options.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    All the best,
    GJ

  10. #10
    Sorry, you misunderstood me. Without the meds, I don't cath, I pee the normal way so if I decide to not use Botox, no cathing. The rest is not my decision, the urologist is the one who decides. The reason for trying Botox is to prevent UTI because of a high pressure in the bladder. If I still get UTI, it is no reason to use Botox again. Then I don't know what to do and neither do the neurourologist or the infection doctor.

    Just now I am on prophylactic Nitrofuradantin but as soon as the Botox works, I'll stop the Nitrofuradantin and see what is happening. My SCI doctor is not very happy that I am on antibiotics every day and I know one day it will stop working. And then my UTI is resistant to all oral antibiotics.

    Anyway, they don't use suprapubic catheters often here. They prefer a Foley if a person can't cath.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Similar Threads

  1. ? about bladder botox
    By wheelin 48 in forum Care
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 02:11 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
  3. Botox for bladder
    By Shana in forum Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
  4. Bladder and Botox
    By ryanvoss in forum Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 03:24 PM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •