Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY good news bad news

FINALLY good news bad news

Well since i had the pressure sores from the hospital in April my knee healed last week and now the one near my tailbone is finally almost gone. Both sores looked like they where caused more from the clamps and positioning during my femur break operation , they said they had me clamped in a stirrup like device to keep my femur aligned during surgery , and I think they clamped way too tight because I have a few marks that are indented but not sores on my left knee about 4 inches past my sore where the clamp kind of crushed the tissue but left a permanant indent in my leg..But the vistiting nurse yesterady told me that This friday might be the last time they have to come out because it is almost closed now.
    And now the bad news , 3 weeks ago I went to the dermitologist to look at a few spots on my hands , they looked like warts but fast growing and were really getting sore so they did biopsies on both, results back are showing squamaous cell cancer again , I had to have one removed last year on my forearm as well , same type cancer.. So now I go in on Aug 9th for the total removal, funny they want the biopsy locations to heal before they cut the cancer out...So Aug 9th I go in and have them removed , bad part about that is that they are doing both hands so transfers are a pain for about 3-4 days until sutures heal good enough to stop hurting..
    Well back to being cut up after being limited to mostley bed time since April 1st when I broke my femur...
    So far my summer of fishing and hunting has really got screwed up because of all of these problems but I guess at least I am still alive..
    Gary

Damn Gary, sounds like a rough go. You've got a good attitude about it and hopefully you'll be ready by mid fall. Just in time for a nice buck and some hogs. They're nOt going anywhere.. Good Luck.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Hi Gary,

That sort of brings to mind the old saying (especially of SCI's)...When it rains it pours. I have been experiencing this phenomenon since my injury in 1967. In 2010 when everything was going fine, I broke my femur at physical therapy. We are all here with you.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Rather than list my catastrophes this yr., let me just say "I feel ya, buddy."

You sound like you're coping better than me, I crawled into my cave and am only now fighting my way out.

well its good to see you around betheny.

Garyv, is the skin cancer from sun exposure?
    and have you had your vitimin D level checked? if it is low you are 75 times more likely to get certain kinds of cancer. I dont know of squamaous is one if them, but who knows. My first indication that I had extremely low vitimin D was a mole suddenly changing to melanoma skin cancer.

I take vit D2 once a week. also niacin, and I feel better now compared to before I was taking it.

Geez, Gary! I feel ya too, so much that I need to amend Millard's SCI motto to "When it rains, it pours so hard the levees break and the rivers overflow their banks and you have to bail out your saturated life raft 24/7 just to stay afloat."

I hope the prognosis for the squamous cell cancer is good, and that this is the last time you ever need help healing sores again.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Thank you all for the for the replies, I think (really I KNOW) this is the only place I can come to where everyone really knows what its like to have these problems and it does turn from physical to mental as well.
    All of my friends are great and either call to check on me or when I see them they ask whow I am doing , but they really dont understand what its like.. Most of them are like " well hope you get better soon so we can go fishing or hunting" but do not understand that even on a good day its always in the back of your mind thinking about what problems I might have when I get back in bed that night..
    Oh and Millard , like u said when it rains it pours, I was able to get out last week to head to a friends house for dinner ,1st thing a mile from the house ran out of fuel in my diesel truck,( evedently my guage quit working still showed 1/4 tank) had to be towed home , then took another day to get the injectors primed so it would run..(have to do that to a diesel they wont prime like a gas car ) then went to the gas station to fuel up , the door opener on the lift would not open AFTER I put fuel in it , so I was in line at a busy station broke down not able to get in the truck , finally it worked long enough to get back in and leave , also the station attendant called 911 for help after I kept asking her not too, so I got home and the door would not open again stuck in truck another 2 hrs .. Got out finally manually opening with neighbors help.. So had to pull the back seat out to get to all the electronics worked on it 2 days could not find the problem then had my brother come by and fix the truck .. So that just ads to the frustration of SCI as well ..
    Thanks Everyone
    Gary
    Last edited by garyv; 07-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    well its good to see you around betheny.

Garyv, is the skin cancer from sun exposure?
    and have you had your vitimin D level checked? if it is low you are 75 times more likely to get certain kinds of cancer. I dont know of squamaous is one if them, but who knows. My first indication that I had extremely low vitimin D was a mole suddenly changing to melanoma skin cancer.

I take vit D2 once a week. also niacin, and I feel better now compared to before I was taking it.
    Thanks Jody for the tip ,I will get some extra D to help , but I live in FLorida and never used sunscreen while on the boat or anywhere else so I think it is sun exposure. And squamous cell can grow fast so anyone who has something that looks like a scaley wart like thing that grows fast and either itches or gets sore get to the dr..quick ..
    Gary

What an ordeal Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Thanks Jody for the tip ,I will get some extra D to help , but I live in FLorida and never used sunscreen while on the boat or anywhere else so I think it is sun exposure. And squamous cell can grow fast so anyone who has something that looks like a scaley wart like thing that grows fast and either itches or gets sore get to the dr..quick ..
    Gary
    if you have kidney issues, you may not be absorbing vit D2, and if you dont eat certain things you may not be absorbing vit D2. Im doubly suspicous due to the break in your femur. Vit D affects how calcium phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium are absorbed too so your muscles tendons and bones are affected as well as skin if you are very low in this importan nutrient.

I have less pain since taking the suppliment.