Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You are what you eat.....It changed my life

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    having grown up in iowa, i have to disagree with corn being one of most destructive foods. as for cattle, then eat grass fed cattle, which is natural to them anyway. however, obviously grass is not available to them in the winter. also, dairy cows require diff stuff than beef cows, so, just sayin...
    hello,
    I lived and worked on farms in Iowa too. I dont claim to be an expert, but I have to disagree about corn being ok and causing no harm in large amounts.
    Animals are able to get through some butal winters when fed corn, this is true, however, livestock fed corn must be carefully fed a certain amount depending on the species and the purpose, and the size of the animal otherwise they can get founder. All hooved animals can founder on too much corn, so it is usually measured according what is recomended for each species.

We did sometimes turn animals out on a feild with corn cobs on it to winter with round bales, however if the corn on the ground was too plentiful for cattle, hogs get turned out first, then cattle, then horses so that none of the stock would eat too much to cause them to founder.

humans cant digest a lot of what is in corn. It passes through even if ground into meal. What makes corn so harmful to us now, is that there is some biproduct of corn in about everything we eat, drink and consume. including medications.

If we went back to consuming corn products the way we did before the 1980's we would all be much healthier, no doubt about it.

Animals fed large amounts of corn to fatten them are not intended to live long lives. they are intended for slaughter, so it is hard to know just how it effects them.

Horses, pet cattle, dairy cattle, and pet pigs ect, are still fed corn in very careful rations.
    Last edited by jody; 07-27-2011 at 12:47 AM.

jody, i only took issue with the comment corn is one of most destructive foods. i also see nobody has mentioned the diff between field corn and sweet corn. have been waiting for somebody to point that out. nobody has so far.

corn syrup can be found in every drink aisle in grocery store. i check every label. my drinks are 100% juice or zero corn syrup. i agree this is a problem. and ppl need to be aware of this.

i suggested grass fed cattle in my other post. ppl can make this decision, especially by buying locally.

can i ask for your source in saying there is some biproduct of corn in about everything we eat? and are you referring to cornfed beef, chickens, field or sweet corn, etc? do you eat free range chicken or hormone raised chickens?

i'm just saying, we all need to read labels and pay attention. i really doubt corn is our biggest problem in food. jmo.

ETA: corn continues to be a vital staple in many poverty stricken and starving countries. a simple search shows that. so, just sayin, calling it the most destructive food is hyperbole.
    Last edited by cass; 07-26-2011 at 11:57 PM.

All my life up till 3 yrs ago I weighed between 135 - 156 at 6'1 I am a picky eater , I drink more water than I do literally eat . Just a ol habit of mine
    Just wished I knew the answer on losing the quad belly I gained because I can not do situps or figure out how to work out my abdomen with a S/P

One of my surgeons told me after I eat dinner try a little corn as it will tell you your time of your BM's , He really helped me .

I like to eat fresh salads from local farmers veggies ... Much healthier

GL, isn't quad gut just lack of muscles to hold guts in? i used to wear binder to hold it in and i barely weigh 110, if that, any more. and i'm 5'4" so you must be skinnier than me! i was 105 lbs my ab life. went to 80 post injury and actually might be there again.

don't you feel good buying from local farmers? i think that is really important for health, for them, win win
    Last edited by cass; 07-27-2011 at 01:19 AM.

hi cass, I hope you are feeling better.

I got my information from searching the internet for food and products that dont contain corn, and found that the list of things without cornbased ingredients is very tiny compared to the list of ingredients that are corn based.

I have a relative with a corn allergy, and had been looking for food sorces that are safe for her to eat and use safely.

I dont get every bit of meat from local farmers, but I dont eat a lot of meat anyway, however what I do buy usually comes from local farmers by way of a little general store near me. they sell whole grains, raw and local dairy products, and free range eggs and poultry. it is expensive. I found a new produce store today that is also locally supplied. Im very happy about that.

we are not aware of how much corn products we consume, and in effort to eliminate some or all corn products from my neices diet, I learned that pretty much everything we eat that is processed at all contains corn based ingredients.

I learned also that a lot more corn allergies are popping up, and that people allergic to corn have very few options when it comes to any processed foods and medications.

I dont think it is enough to read the labels because most people dont realise how many food ingredients are now derived from corn that used to come from other sorces, however I learned by looking for things that didnt have corn based ingredients in them, that we consume a lot more corn than we are aware of.

im really glad I dont have a corn allergy.

as far as livestock goes, I dont have a degree, however have worked on dairy, beef and hog farms, as well as several horse farms, and with a larg animal vet while in highschool and college. I took courses for two years while preparing for vet school at ames Iowa, southwestern in creston iowa, and at San Diego city college summer courses. however I did not go to vet school.
    some of my classes included agricultural and animal science,
    agricultural math, (math used in estimating back fat averages in hogs and cattle, and math used in mixing and grinding feeds for different species of farm animals)

bovine and swine genetics and breeding, bovine and swine diseases, care and feeding of market swine, and I participated in 4-H showing beef cattle, chickens, and market swine, also ffa, and vocational agriculture in highschool.

......field corn vs sweet corn.

as far as I remember, they are the same. both are dent corn, but sweet corn is picked before maturity,(baby corn) while feed or seed corn is allowed to mature and dry.

popcorn and some indian corns are flint corn.

any other differences are from selective polination and developing one strain and crossing it with another but are the same plant. there are genetically altered types, but still the same basic plant that is related to bamboo.

thanks, jody. and no, field corn is not the same as sweet corn. anybody from iowa knows that. has nothing to do with maturity. but, i like your input.

most of corn grown in iowa is field corn. i once played a trick on bf from out of state. he thought he could pick field corn in back of my house and have sweet corn. was pretty funny on this iowa girl's part

so, i resort to wiki, as am tired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_corn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn
    Last edited by cass; 07-27-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Walnuts are drugs says Fda

walnuts, dates and black coffee ....make my perfect morning choice

What s going on with walnuts and FDA ?

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/hea...drugs-says-fda
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine