Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You are what you eat.....It changed my life

You are what you eat.....It changed my life

Before my injury I always work out an ate well. At least I thought I did. I watched two documentaries. The first one was called food matters. The next one was called forks over knives. In summary over 50% of your diet should be raw foods. Foods that are cooked vegetables or meat decrease the amount of nutrition value of food. We also consume too much dairy and meat. The second thing that I learned was the value of vitamins and the difference between cheap vitamins and high quality vitamins. Over the last three years, I felt very lethargic and unmotivated. Every five months I would get a urinary tract infection. I also gained about 15 pounds. Bowel care was always a challenge. Over the last year I followed the diet and it changed my life. I lost all the weight. I have not had a urinary tract infection. I never feel down or tired. I have eliminated all of my medications except for baclofin but have reduced the dose by 75%. Bowel care is a dream now. I feel great everyday and haven't even had a headache. I urge all of you to try this.

What you put into your body of course has a profound impact on how your body functions, how rapidly you heal and ultimately how you look and feel... and think. I have been a vegetarian since the age of 13 and for the past fews years have been eating a primarily raw diet, but it is important to note that a few nutrients from vegetables are actually better absorbed by the body if they have been lightly cooked, such as mushrooms and tomatoes. I eat very little dairy - Stonyfield yogurt - because my local market doesn't carry soy yogurt and I believe Stonyfield to be the most ethical dairy company (that I know of). At some point I may become completely vegan, as dairy certainly is not a necessity and it's really quite strange when you think about the fact that we consume another species' milk at all, and into adulthood. I am quite often fatigued, but that is due to chronic insomnia and depression that began years ago, not my diet. The diet consumed primarily in the west is the major source of strain on our healthcare system, in my opinion. Not only is it causing debilitating, degenerative diseases in adults as well as children, but it is taxing the planet and causing catastrophic damage. The films you mentioned are great resources, as are Food, Inc., Farm to Fridge and Earthlings. Kudos to you for taking charge of your health and putting your knowledge into practice!
    Last edited by Ptarzan80; 07-26-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Let's not leave out corn as one of the most destructive foods. My son stopped eating corn and says corn is fed to cattle to fatten them. Made sense to me. Lets don't be cattle. Eliminate corn and corn products/syrups from your diet. Just my opinion anywy
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Let's not leave out corn as one of the most destructive foods. My son stopped eating corn and says corn is fed to cattle to fatten them. Made sense to me. Lets don't be cattle. Eliminate corn and corn products/syrups from your diet. Just my opinion anywy
    So true, and another good reason to avoid packaged foods... many of which have high fructose corn syrup. It's best to keep that garbage out of your body and out of our overflowing land (and ocean) fills. I remember reading an article a few years back about the amount of corn in fast food. Not only in the hamburgers (and you're right, the cows are fed an unnatural corn diet), but also in the chicken and even french fries, which are largely cooked in corn oil. Not to mention the hormones and antibiotics. "They" are even injecting arctic fish components into tomatoes to keep them from freezing. Even though I eat primarily fresh fruits and vegetables, I can't afford organic or make it to a local market and often question how "fresh" my food is and what they've done to it to allow it to travel 3,000 miles. I think I heard somewhat recently that a fast food chain (McDonald's, maybe) was going to wean off palm oil and possibly already has. Palm oil is another of those ingredients to avoid. Not so much that it cause direct, immediate adverse health problems (for us), but because it's another culprit in mass deforestation and is found in many products, not just food. It's a high price we and future generations will pay because of our insatiable desire for money, convenience and instant gratification.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

I wish I could be more disciplined in eating habits. What you are talking about is very interesting.
    Growing up where I live we are brought up that no meal is complete withput a potato and meat. Hot dishes (Casseroles etc) are a mainstay. Fried, fried and more fried.
    My daughter has been vegetarian many years. She tried vegan and decided it was too restrictive. She works at a health food store and has been bringing me some vitimans.
    I do try to be as ethical as possible buying range free chicken and our beef from a local farmer. I admire people that are able to disipline their habits better than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I wish I could be more disciplined in eating habits.
    an an able-bodied person you should be able to eat whatever you like, you have (and hopefully use) all of the muscles in your body. Pre-SCI I worked like a dog but could eat anything I wanted. Get a punching bag or something if you don't work and spend alot of time sedentary.

For those of us that are paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair it is a different story. I developed a decent sized quad gut before discovering wheelchair sports and weight-training. It is slow and arduous, sadly painful, the fight to lose my belly. I exercise over 20 hours a week but it only affects my upper body. I weight train 2 hours 3 times a week, spend 8+ hours a week on my handcycle (weather permitting) and lately have been in my rugby chair at least an hour a day 5 days a week. My spare tire is deflating but nowhere near as fast as I'd like.

I recently made the change to alot of raw fruits and veggies, and grains. HUGE difference in my energy levels. I still eat red meat and seafood like it's going out of style but have begun moderating it, I simply don't have the same apetite even though I'm doing more. I have no desire for junk food, my only vice is a black coffee from Starbucks most mornings.

Diet is a huge factor for me. If I have more energy I can do more, brain functions better and when I'm healthy I'm happy. I don't know if diet actually has any bearing on bladder issues, but it definitely does for bowel. I'm down to 20-30 minutes tops bowel routine 3 times a week. That right there increases a persons quality of life.

I get frustrated as I eat really well yet still feel constantly drowsy.

It's true though that once you cut out the refined sugar and junk you stop craving it.

Tooley, That's great you have made so many improvements through diet and exercise.
    I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain, but between getting older and having less time to cook and plan things have slipped and I don't like it. Trying to get back on track.
    I do have scoliosis which get me in trouble when trying to turn and move Dave. I don't get out to walk as much as would like, but don't consider myself sedentary
    I'd like the idea of more energy and clearer thinking by eating better.
    Dave of course can only move his neck, but needs to eat better too as has put on a lot of weight. Since I put every bite in his mouth it is hard to be a food Nazi and say no when he asks for something.
    Not an excuse, just something we need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    I get frustrated as I eat really well yet still feel constantly drowsy.

It's true though that once you cut out the refined sugar and junk you stop craving it.
    That is what we are hoping to do, cut it out to quit the crave.
    His is sweets, mine is salty crunchy.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    That is what we are hoping to do, cut it out to quit the crave.
    His is sweets, mine is salty crunchy.
    I'm with you. My methadone:

http://www.amazon.com/Popchips-6-Fla...1664131&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Seapoint-Farms...1664336&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Calbee-Snapea-...1664336&sr=1-6

I've also replaced sugar with agave syrup (let me know if you want some recipes) and keep dried fruit around for the odd sweet craving.