Thread: handcycling noob

Banned

handcycling noob

hi i'm new to this site. i signed up because i am interested in buying a handcycle but i have a lot of questions. i am not spinally injured, but i have a permanent leg injury and cannot ride a bicycle. i was an avid cyclist before my injury, and i am itching to get active again. i've been looking at the freedom ryder FRH-1A.

- is there a way insurance or medicare would pay for any of it?
    - are these custom made to fit each person or could i buy a used one?
    - what are the pros/cons of sitting upright vs. laying back?
    - does it work out core muscles (abs/lower back) very well?
    - would this bike be ideal for long distance riding (in the future after i get in shape)?

that's all the questions i can think of right now, i'm sure i'll have more later. thanks, i appreciate any feedback!

Since you are basically abled bvodied, I would suggest either the leantsteer Freedom Ryder or the Top End kneeler.With a leg injury the Leansteer would be best by far, the best h/c for you.

Two were posted today. Both sound like great bikes and a very good deal for sure. These will work your core strength like no other h/c out there.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=160743

My insurance pays for my bikes but it's because I was grandfathered in when they bought my first one 35 years ago. Medicare will not buy you a bike.

The Freedom Ryder leansteer was ridden around the world and also was part of a ride thru Vietnam years ago so yes, you can ride it long distances..

With your injury, the leansteer is the only bike I would consider.

- are these custom made to fit each person or could i buy a used one?
    Some are custom but you can buy used and save a lot
    - what are the pros/cons of sitting upright vs. laying back?
    If you lay back you will be more aerodynamic and use less muscle, if you sit up you can use your core
    - does it work out core muscles (abs/lower back) very well?
    If you road a Kneeler that would work your core the most
    - would this bike be ideal for long distance riding (in the future after i get in shape)?
    What is long distance? you could do a century easily once you are in shape

Chris Peterson the head guy at Top End rides a kneeler he does not have a spinal injury and is one of the fastest guys in a handcycle

Swim is right on. My concern with a kneeler is you have a knee injury. That could exclude you from riding a kneeler comfortably. Chris is fast for sure.

SCP, Not sure if you were at the Texas Triathalon but Andre Kajlich was disqualified for using a Gold handcycle. Do you know why a Gold doesnot qualify anymore? Is it because it's considered a trunk powered bike or cause it doesn't have a draft bar on the rear or?

Yup a kneeler would depend on the leg injury??

@Patrick, I was not at the Texas Tri but I do know that the new rules put in place for paratriathlon last year dictate that the bike has to be a recumbent. Its their idea to even the playing field so no core can be used(but I don't see them requiring amputees to add 40lbs?) . Draft bar is only required for mass road races.

A good place for used hand cycles or just to get more info id bikeon.com

Banned
    ya my knee injury would not allow me to ride a kneeler, i don't have full flexion or extension in the left leg ...basically all that is holding my knee together is scar tissue.
    i guess i will be saving my pennies for a freedom ryder lc-1. does the frh-1a work core at all, or just not as much as the leansteer? i'm concerned about cost at this point, i want to get on the road as soon as possible!
    i am also not sure about finding a used one that fits me, since i am only 5'0". i had extra small frame mountain and road bikes when i rode before...
    ironically enough, i once did a bike ride from ny to dc that was sponsored by faces of america, and i got to see a lot of different custom bikes made for people with various disabilities. really cool, fate is funny, eh?
    thanks for all your feedback guys!

There's two that are on here for sale right now. They would more than likely fit you as the frame adjusts back and forth. The cranks on the older model would for sure and the LC-1 he has looks really good also.My preference would be the LC1 .

Both could excellent deals, esp. with an "obo" on the end of the price. and a great first bike. If my balance was a little better and a liitle younger I'd be jumping on either one.
    You'd get a much better core workout with a leansteer over the FRH1.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=160743

There was a 2 yr old LC-1 with a Turbo trainer that went for 1275. yesterday on Ebay.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-29-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

There was a 2 yr old LC-1 with a Turbo trainer that went for 1275. yesterday on Ebay.
    That was a sweet deal for someone...