Thread: accessible transport???

accessible transport???

hi guys,

Just embarking on a new business/service idea and don't want to give too much away but was looking for some feedback. I'm a c4/5 complete, living in Ireland and have always found it difficult to get wheelchair taxis/transport which is reliable and doesn't cost the earth. I also spent some time in Baltimore at the Kennedy Kryger Institute and again found it almost impossible to get a wheelchair taxi. Am I alone here?

Do taxi companies in America provide wheelchair taxis? And where would you look to find this?
    are some states better than others?

I'm doing market research at the moment so any feedback would be great.

regards,
    Stephen

Cluskey007,

I have seen wheelchair taxis in New York City, here is the link to an article:
    www.digitaljournal.com/article/263061

Riz
    C5 incomplete

In Omaha, NE, USA, we have MOBY for $2US fare but no accessible taxis (I stand corrected - A&B Shuttle). And all city buses are accessible with $0.60US fare.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 07-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hi to a fellow Irish citizen! In Boston we have only the paratransit system where one has to be registered with a doctor's letter stating disability. They then pick you up at your door and take you to your location for $2 USD each way. Some, but not many, of the buses are accessible.

spammer priming the pump.

It's not really a taxi but we have company's that are usually called medical transport. They are pretty spendy ~$300+ for a short ride and they are just van's with lift's, not like an ambulance. I'm sure most of there work comes from medicare/medicaid. I had to use them for about 2 years while I saved for my van.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

to be honest, I'm really shocked and surprised that the so-called 'greatest nation on earth' is so poor with accessible transport. in this day and age it really should be compulsory going forward. Ideally every city should be like London with all the black cabs being accessible. Ireland is mediocre but getting better. There are 1303 accessible taxis in the country and if a taxi driver wants to buy a new taxi licence, only wheelchair accessible ones are available because the country is overpopulated with regular taxis. the license is much cheaper than a normal taxi licence.

the government also provides grants for people to make their taxis accessible, in some cases up to €15,000 for a new taxi. this makes it attractive for a taxi driver to provide a wheelchair accessible vehicle, although some taxi drivers receive the grant, convert their taxi but rarely take wheelchair users due to the extra effort! They see it as a cheap way to get a taxi licence.

anyway, I'm hoping my idea will make it easier to source a wheelchair taxi in Ireland firstly and then who knows. Any more feedback anyone can give would be great.

America is a big country. There aren't that many cities with credible mass transportation which is always government subsidized. Only public transportation has to have some token disability access. For private taxis, the extra cost of vehicle conversion could never justify the extra fares.

There is a new player in the game though. The MV1 is designed from the ground up as wheelchair accessible. It may catch on for general taxi service with it's practical, durable, utilitarian design. I could see it becoming the new Marathon/Checker. Unfortunately, it's so butt ugly I might ride in it but I'd never consider buying one.
    http://www.vpgautos.com/