Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regaining Balance Healing or??? Dr. Young?

Regaining Balance Healing or??? Dr. Young?

Dr. Young,

My balance has significately improved. I can now sit in a straight back chair and lean forward and side to side and pull myself up. I can also stand on the tilt table with just a strap around my knees. I can pull myself off the back and reach over and pick up my mug, take a drink, and put it back without falling over. I am a C5/C6 incomplete quad. Am I healing or is it just due to practicing?

Thanks in advance,

Deb

[This message was edited by Debbie7 on Jun 22, 2002 at 04:45 PM.]

Hehe Deb...

...I am not a doctor but I can play one on the internet.

Not sure what Dr. Young will say about this one but in my experience your balance getting better has mostly to do with your brain adjusting to its new center of balance. Your brain also has a better idea of just how far you can bend one way or another before tipping over.

When I visit newly injured people in rehab I always tell them that while muscle strength is important for transfers and stuff the most important part is the balance issue which the brain slowly but surely adjusts to.

I look forward to reading the Dr.'s thoughts on this myself

Debbie

R u still on 4-AP?

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

Deb

Good for you. I'd say its both - learning and recovering.

Your body is learning new balancing techniques and your body is obviously getting stronger - recovery.

Keep going!

Onward and Upward!

Hope your right

Chris,

I hope your right and it is a combination of both.

Paradude,

I would think that if its just my body adjusting, it would have happened before now.

Polette,

Yes, I am still taking 4AP. Not real sure how much it is helping but I'm afraid to get off it right now.

Deb

Any thoughts, Dr. Young?

Deb

Debbie, I wish that I had a better answer than the good ones that Chris and Paradude provided. It is likely to be a combination of both learning and probably plasticity. Balancing is fortunately one of the activities that rehabilitation facilities try to train their patient to do as soon as people site up. Therefore, there is less of an element of "learned non-use". The fact, however, that it takes so long to recover suggests that there there is a strong component of regrowth. Plasticity takes only a few weeks. Anything that takes months to recover probably requires, in my opinion, some regrowth. You have to realize, however, how far to the left field I am leaning when I express opinions like this.

There is almost no way of answering these questions in humans and therefore it requires animal studies. It is clear that animals take a long time recover their balance. In rats, there are several interesting measures of balance. When a rat feels insecure about its balance, it uses its tail. Normally, a rat keeps its tail about a cm off the floor and doesn't use it for balance unless it is rounding a corner very fast. However, in a rat that is recovering from spinal cord injury, they frequently hold their tails up higher or lower than usual, indicating insecurity.

In any case, a rat takes many weeks to recover its balance. I suspect that it is one of those activities that require regrowth of some spinal tracts or the spinal cord learning to interpret balance from other information different from the balance information that it was accustomed to before you were injured.

Wise.

Which brings me to my question to Debbie... Dr. Young: Couldnt it be the efects of 4-AP? Forc what I understand you have been one it for over 2-3 months right Debbie?

...It's the heart afraid of breaking,that never learns to dance... It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance... It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin'... That never learns to live...

4-AP

4-AP may have indeed helped my balance. I've been on it for about 3.5 months.

Deb

[This message was edited by Debbie7 on Jun 24, 2002 at 06:20 PM.]

Debbie, one way that you can perhaps tell whether it is related to 4-AP is to taper down on your 4-AP for a dose. You may feel more unstable. Wise.