Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Still Fresh

It's Still Fresh

Hello everyone.

My story is probably not much different from many on here: my father crashed his motorcycle a week ago and the most severe injury, aside from lacerated kidneys and liver, and bruised lungs, is that he will no longer be able to walk.

It's still very fresh, and my whole family is still in a bit of a state of shock. He is over 25 years a police officer, been riding a motorcycle about as long. He is a loving husband, father, son, and a truly caring man.

All this is to say, I am looking to find ways of supporting him through this traumatic shift of lifestyle. A few google searches led me here, and I thought I would say hello before going on to look at more info. Seems as though I might find some answers to questions I have yet to ask. So greetings. I look forward to conversing with you all.

- Ryan

Welcome to our forum, Ryan. As we always say, we are glad you found us, but sorry you had to.

So I assume that your father has a spinal cord injury in addition to his other injuries? Do you know what level and degree of completeness (ASIA level and AIS)?? It is very important that you all become as familiar as possible with the exact nature of his injury in order to be able to both understand and have some control over what is likely to be life-time management issues. This is an excellent article that will help you all understand the technical aspects of this a little better, and guide you in asking more questions of his physicians and team:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

Also read these articles while you are there:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...3@AcuteSCI.htm

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...adjustment.htm

Where is he now? If he has a SCI, it is critical that he get moved ASAP to a major spinal cord injury center. Don't let this decision be made by an insurance company or case manager without you all having major input into the decision, and based on what is best for him (not what is cheapest or most convenient for them). We can help you identify the best centers if you let us know where he is now.

You did not mention if he is a USA military veteran. If he is, a VA spinal cord injury center might be the best bet for him to receive top notch SCI care.

It is critical that at this point everything possible is being done to prevent complications such as pressure ulcers. The nurses should be turning him at least every 2 hours, inspecting all of his skin at least 2X daily, and he should be on a specialty bed.

Please come back often and ask questions. We can help.

(KLD)

Ryan, we have a few members who were cops before their injury. One is Herco; he might be a good contact for your dad. Good luck, and stay tough - it'll come together, friend.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your dad. It's a terrible shock for any family, your dad is lucky to have you trying to find out all you can. Lots of good info here, don't hesitate to ask anything. Best wishes.

im sorry for what happened to you and your family.
    sorry you had to find care cure community, but glad you did.

welcome.

Right now he's being treated at OHSU in Portland. I will post more info when I have more details. He does have an SCI -- I don't recall how far down, but the spinal cord was severed in his lower back... he has no feeling or motor control below about belly-button level. As I'm sure you can imagine, the technical details have gone by the wayside when we have been waiting to see if he would pull through this week. Looks like his survival is pretty assured now, hence the start of my search for info. Thanks for the replies, seems like you guys have a good network of support here.
    Last edited by rgeorgioff; 07-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Hi Ryan, There is much information here.

Welcome, Ryan. This is the best place ever for information and talking to people who really know what you're going through. Best wishes to you and your family.

Dear rgeorgioff wishing your father / family my regards
    Been through a Motorcycle wreck myself

Care Cure is a knowledgebase plus great support

Sincerely ; GL

Ryan, so sorry to hear about your Dad. You've found a great place here. The nurses really have vital info that can make a difference in the outcome. You're in the information gathering phase now. Very important that you get him to a specialty SCI center.
    All the best to you and your family, Lynne