Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me transfers get better

I think that it comes down to a solution that, if not perfect, has you spending the minimal amount of energy necessary to task completion. I think this is worth investigating and after x amount of trial and hopefully zero error, you would report back to the group.
    And the truth shall set you free.

If you can move your whole chair it sounds like you have enough strength, apply a little consentration. Knowing you need to get from point A to point B and there is no help, think about what it's going to take. You can do it!

Pete - what board are you using and what is your technique? I park my chair at an angle, then put board underneath thigh and lean forward, twist butt and push off the tire.

I think it's too much dump. You may want to try a foam place that cuts foam rubber to your order. Get a wedge cut to put under rear part of cushion cut to zero out dump to see if it makes a difference in your transfers. If it is way easier to transfer, w/o dump use a seat belt to achieve the stability dump gives. Then order next chair w much less dump

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I am a C-7 quad with good triceps and have to keep dump above 2". Dump is more of a problem when I do uphill transfers. I solved the " falling forward" bit by tilting the seatback back 2-4 degrees. You might try that if you can adjust the back angle of your chair.
    I meant to say that with 0"-2" dump I have a really difficult time getting back up after I lean all the way forward for moving around during the day. I just cannot sit still.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Pete - what board are you using and what is your technique? I park my chair at an angle, then put board underneath thigh and lean forward, twist butt and push off the tire.
    I haven't used a board for transfers. When I have something to push off of I can lift no prob. I push off of the tire so hard the chair rolls right now. This is my last big hurdle. (Oh, and on a side note I have overcome my commitment issues)

The foam wedge idea is a good idea. If all else fails i will try it. The dump feels stable and comfortable now. Its like you gain somewhere and it takes away from another.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

butt-lifts are the key
    lots of butt-lifts
    pull up to a table so you don't have to worry about falling over forward
    then just lift your butt up
    i put my hands on the frame near my knees and lift using my shoulders
    about a hundred a day in sets of ten
    if you need, slide your hands down the frame a bit

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    butt-lifts are the key
    lots of butt-lifts
    pull up to a table so you don't have to worry about falling over forward
    then just lift your butt up
    i put my hands on the frame near my knees and lift using my shoulders
    about a hundred a day in sets of ten
    if you need, slide your hands down the frame a bit
    Thanks, thats a good exercise to do for sure.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

take care to not injure or strain your shoulders. I dont know alot about transfer techniques, but I do know if you ar'nt careful about your soulder joints eventually they wear out and that just makes everything harder. especially transfering.

sometimes it just takes an extra bit of adrenalin. Here is the way I conquered transfers while in rehab. It is an excerpt from my autobiography.

"What did not go so well was transferring from the bed to my wheelchair and vice-versa. Although I could move around easily in a sitting position on a mat in PT, I just did not seem to have enough strength to do it. I struggled for weeks, much to the frustration of Lil and me. We tried using a trapeze apparatus on the bed, and a "sliding board" which was used to bridge the gap between my chair and the bed. Nothing helped.

My transfer breakthrough came rather unexpectedly. It happened one evening between dinner time and bed time when a number of us were watching television in the dorm. Some were lying in bed, one of whom was a jockey. There were two jockeys there at the time, and both were envied by most of us. Because of their 75-80 pound weight and athletic ability, they were able to move themselves around and do things so much easier than the rest of us. Also, they both seemed to have a lot of money and flaunted it in front of us mostly poor people. One, however, was really an arrogant bastard, to put him in the best light. He enjoyed putting the rest of us down at every chance. This evening, he made a remark about the "poor farm kid who could not even get himself into bed." It took about 5 strokes of my wheels to travel the 30-40 feet to his bed at full speed. I aimed my wheelchair toward the middle of his bed and when I was about a yard away, I slammed on the brakes and literally flung my body on top of him laying there and started beating on him. A few loud cheers from some of the others quickly brought the attendants running in. They grabbed me and threw me in my bed. That brought jeers from the others. I got off with a warning, but it was a while before what I did sunk in. I had done a remarkable transfer to his bed without any assistance. It appeared that all I needed was to get my adrenalin flowing

It was a different scene at Tiger Lil's the next day. I wheeled along side the bed, pulled out the removable armrest from my wheelchair and plopped my butt on the bed with one quick pushup. She was momentarily startled and then seemed to reach for me to prevent me from falling or something. However, I was already reaching for a leg to lift into the bed. When I shared my story, she actually cracked a smile. After a couple days refining my transfers from the bed back into the chair, she placed me on the list to be transferred to the independent dorm."
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Have you tried putting your feet on the floor before you slide forward? With no weight on the foot rest you might not lift the back of the chair up. What about a leather or jean material cushion cover? Not as slippery as all this nylon stuff.