Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me transfers get better

Please tell me transfers get better

I am a C6 no tris and went from a power chair and mini van to a manual chair and a truck all in one swoop. I can get into the 3.5" dump manual chair pretty good but have not been able to slide my butt froward to get out of this thing by myself. It is very frustrating. I have watched a ton on transfer videos on youtube and it looks easy enough. I don't know what to do. Maybe practice makes perfect but still, sliding forward is sliding forward.
    Last edited by BRASWELLF5; 07-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Practice will always make improvement (to some degree) but in the meantime...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1905232...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

And the truth shall set you free.

Pete, I'm C5-6, no tris and not eh "superquad". I used a manual chair for the first 20 years of SCI. I could never have that much dump for exactly the same reason you're explaining. I couldn't slide forward enough to get past the wheel to transfer. The transfer boards above won't do you any good until you can clear the wheel.

I tried everything and ultimately had to decrease my dump.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

My old chair had 3" dump and I was not comfortable with it, felt like I was going to fall forward. Those are expensive for sure.
    Last edited by BRASWELLF5; 07-24-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    My old chair had 3" dump and I was not comfortable with it, felt like I was going to fall forward. What about that BeasyGlyder 32 that goes around the tire?
    I still use one to get into my convertible. Expensive yes, but tried and true.

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    My old chair had 3" dump and I was not comfortable with it, felt like I was going to fall forward. What about that BeasyGlyder 32 that goes around the tire?
    I would have thought that if you can lift your ass high enough to use a Beasy board you should be able to transfer from and to a chair with 3.5ins dump!

The Beasy has never made any sense to me when it comes to Quads and transfers, for me the board is something you push under your bum and slide across, you can't use a Beasy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    I still use one to get into my convertible. Expensive yes, but tried and true.
    I may have to stand corrected....

I am a C-7 quad with good triceps and have to keep dump above 2". Dump is more of a problem when I do uphill transfers. I solved the " falling forward" bit by tilting the seatback back 2-4 degrees. You might try that if you can adjust the back angle of your chair.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I would have thought that if you can lift your ass high enough to use a Beasy board you should be able to transfer from and to a chair with 3.5ins dump!

The Beasy has never made any sense to me when it comes to Quads and transfers, for me the board is something you push under your bum and slide across, you can't use a Beasy like that.
    Well, I think if there is zero lift, you absolutely want to use only when you have clothes on. Because of the sliding seat, this is the most ass-friendly transfer board I can think of. One need only roll extreme right or left to get it started, but yes, an upward shift, however so slightly, is key.

I keep looking at this chair and it just doesn't look that bad. I think its more to do with nothing to really push off of. I have tried to throw myself forward and all I do is pick the whole chair up. Its like my ass is glues to this thing. I have to get there somehow because there is also the issue of sliding forward for taking a leak. Compared to my old pc it feels like im sitting in a spoon but I love how I can get up to and under things again. SCI will always find a way to screw things up.
    Pete C6/'97