Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: IUD for Birth Control

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    Note - in the original post it said that the doctor didn't want her on bcp because of the increased risk of blood clots. I just talked to a doctor about this, because I was worried for myself, I'd always heard that, and he said that someone w/SCI isn't at more risk than any other women in this case. He said the blood clot issue was only for about the first year or so post-injury, but that the blood vessels in your legs atrophy as well as the muscles, and that there's less chance of a clot (he'd just gotten off a rotation at the VA SCI unit). I'm a little sceptical about this, as I thought those of us w/SCIs were always at risk, but this is what he told me.
    Fyi, I never had blood clot or bc issues/history, but I got a massive clot in the inferior vena cava, which supplies blood to your legs, also, my legs did not atrophy as amoderately incomplete quad. The dr's said it was super bad and also almost killed me after sending 3 pulmonary emboli to my lungs. I only advocate being careful with the stuff. I know this thread can seem all over the place, but as with any medication, know what you're in for if you do your research, ask around, get opinions, etc.

I asked my dr. the same things and was prescribed a standard bcp with all assurances that 'everything would be fiiiiine'. I think it's crazy that we, as patients can easily question our primary care doctors or understand that they are lacking in SCI knowledge, but when it comes to OBGYN stuff, we take things at their word instantly. (I did it myself, too!) All I know is it took almost 2 years to get the filters out of my body, off the blood thinners, etc EVEN THOUGH I was suspicious enough to ask if it would be ok due to limited circulation/mobility. after reading more here I realize it is not uncommon, and hopefully the information helps others.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    Fyi, I never had blood clot or bc issues/history, but I got a massive clot in the inferior vena cava, which supplies blood to your legs, also, my legs did not atrophy as amoderately incomplete quad. The dr's said it was super bad and also almost killed me after sending 3 pulmonary emboli to my lungs. I only advocate being careful with the stuff. I know this thread can seem all over the place, but as with any medication, know what you're in for if you do your research, ask around, get opinions, etc.

I asked my dr. the same things and was prescribed a standard bcp with all assurances that 'everything would be fiiiiine'. I think it's crazy that we, as patients can easily question our primary care doctors or understand that they are lacking in SCI knowledge, but when it comes to OBGYN stuff, we take things at their word instantly. (I did it myself, too!) All I know is it took almost 2 years to get the filters out of my body, off the blood thinners, etc EVEN THOUGH I was suspicious enough to ask if it would be ok due to limited circulation/mobility. after reading more here I realize it is not uncommon, and hopefully the information helps others.
    Has any used any type of alternative medicine to deal with some of the things that BCP helps? My main reasons for taking them is because they keep my periods regular and they make them lighter and less uncomfortable. I also broke out badly the last time I tried to go off BCP, and even after 3 months was still breaking out regularly. My skin is scarred enough from teenage acne!