Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IUD for Birth Control

A spinal cord injury to a close family member will definitely change a person's schedule, at the least, and their entire lives, at the norm.

I see no reason to go after this member, period. If she isn't honest in some of her details (and I"m not saying she isn't honest at all), so what? Many people tell white lies on the Internet - I'd bet it's pretty common to want to make oneself look more accomplished. Not saying this is the case with ForMyCousin, just pointing out a reality.

I have seen nothing but this member trying to help her newly injured cousin. I respect that, and think the cousin is lucky to have someone like her.

My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I did not read anything you wrote as an attack, Liz. Not a word of it.

For anyone reading this, ask yourself how a medical intern in PGY 1 (that info was changed from PGY 2 to PGY 1 on the first day it appeared, btw) can spend so many hours at CCC after starting clinicals less than a month earlier. I've never known of any fresh grad doing residency who had enough time to even sleep, much less park themselves on a message board for hours and hours at a whack.

Now that is blunt. It is. I understand it is. I'm okay with that.

Blast at will.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I could give a fuck if she's real or not. It's creepy to me that anyone would push birth controll, or pills of any form on someone else, in order to make it easier for themselves. (especially based on the other info provided)

There's alot of stuff in that business that can be damaging.

rollinprincess, buck was being sarcastic, lol, and at the time formycousin was all over the forums posting shit some people thought was suspect. who cares. but by reading this post singularly, and after the fact, you don't really get the whole picture.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I didn't have x 2 read the other posts, sorry.

I love my IUD but it is a Mirena. It wouldn't be a good fit for ur cousin bc of the hormones released. However, the copper one doesn't have them. That would b perfect for a smoker/over 35 person imo.
    Last edited by quad79; 08-26-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: ETA: the copper one will NOT stop blood flow!! she needs the hormonal Mirena 2 do that but she will need 2 stop smoking!!

Just read some posts..need 2 be better about that. Being gone too long sucks.

Looked over the drama and picked up on Anban's post. I got the Mirena w/o having kids b4...BUT..had to have my cervix dilated & get it inserted while on my period...ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    How dare you all attack this person. You're all acting stupid
    and nasty. What's become of this forum? I need to leave for
    a while because I'm soooo disgusted by some of the behavior
    I've seen in this thread.
    Sarcastic or not, I agree with the comment. 1st of all, what she looks like has absolutely nothing to do with caring for her cousin. 2ndly, you are really going to go with the "If she won't cath herself, she shouldn't have sex."??????? Wow. I don't cath myself...I am unable to. But I have been having sex for the past 10 years with my husband, have 2 kids, and will continue the "not cathing myself/having sex" thing (hopefully) until I'm dead. You don't know this woman personally and you don't know her story...she needs guidance and these are the responses that she is given. Whether she is "fake" or not, makes me think twice about asking anything.

ANYWAY...I had a copper IUD after having my son and I had my period unregularly the entire time. I switched to Mirena and had very frequent periods. Maybe 2 or 3 in a year. I had my tubes tied after I had my daughter and haven't had a period since.

And I, as a disabled woman do understand your "one less thing to worry about" mentality on this particular subject and I can pretty much assure you that your cousin would probably feel the same. Who wants another person handling this for them?? I know I never liked it. So, if possible, I suggest either the Mirena...or talk to her about considering quitting smoking and use the birth control pill that gives you 4 periods a year.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeMommy; 09-29-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Candi - C5-7 (5/26/99) - Mom to Carter (10/29/08) and Brooklyn (9/10/10)

http://thebutchinofamily.com

To answer your question yes, some doctors will insert an IUD even if you haven't had children b/c I have had one and so have many of my friends who have not had children or ever been pregnant. I however had mine taken out a few hours after it was put in due to the sever pain that it caused. My friends too complained of the pain after insertion but that was really one of the only downfalls from it. It does however tremendously help with decreasing the frequency of your period but may take a few months to reach this result.

I just had one put in 6 weeks after my last baby was born. SO far so good.
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Note - in the original post it said that the doctor didn't want her on bcp because of the increased risk of blood clots. I just talked to a doctor about this, because I was worried for myself, I'd always heard that, and he said that someone w/SCI isn't at more risk than any other women in this case. He said the blood clot issue was only for about the first year or so post-injury, but that the blood vessels in your legs atrophy as well as the muscles, and that there's less chance of a clot (he'd just gotten off a rotation at the VA SCI unit). I'm a little sceptical about this, as I thought those of us w/SCIs were always at risk, but this is what he told me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    Note - in the original post it said that the doctor didn't want her on bcp because of the increased risk of blood clots. I just talked to a doctor about this, because I was worried for myself, I'd always heard that, and he said that someone w/SCI isn't at more risk than any other women in this case. He said the blood clot issue was only for about the first year or so post-injury, but that the blood vessels in your legs atrophy as well as the muscles, and that there's less chance of a clot (he'd just gotten off a rotation at the VA SCI unit). I'm a little sceptical about this, as I thought those of us w/SCIs were always at risk, but this is what he told me.
    My gyno stated she would not give bc pills to a quad again. I was over 10 years post with no issues of a clot. BC pills almost killed me.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Some feel that BCP are OK at about 2 years post injury if you have not ever had a DVT, but many feel that this is not an acceptable risk. Low estrogen BCP have a lower risk of DVT, but are also lower in effectiveness in prevention of pregnancy.

If you are on BCP, and you have a hospitalization, trauma or surgery that involves the pelvis or legs, or need to be on prolonged bedrest (for example, with skin issues), then your risks for getting a DVT again goes up higher than those who are AB, and you should either stop the BCP or get preventive (prophylactic) LMWH (low molecular weight heparin) injections during that time.

IUDs should also be considered with great caution. They can cause AD due to the common uterine cramping seen, esp. when first inserted, and a risk of IUDs in all women called PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) is not necessarily more common in women with SCI, but can be more difficult to detect until it is advanced unless you have uterine sensation (T10).

(KLD)