Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IUD for Birth Control

IUD for Birth Control

Is there anyone here who has an IUD?

My cousin is 18, smokes, and was injured in April. Her physician stopped her birth control due to the risk of blood clots, and her periods have been too frequent. With everything else we are learning to do, I was hoping that using a Mirena IUD would give us one less thing to deal in her care.

Personally, I use one. It is fantastic. I am on my third Mirena, and I haven't had a period since I started using them just over 10 years ago.

I had one. Other than increasing my spasticity significantly, it was great.

I'm blunt. Your cousin won't cath herself (another post) yet she's all ready to have sex than learn to be more independent in her own life ?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

It isn't for sex / birth control but to stop menstruation.

When I said it it would be "one less thing we have to deal with in her care," I meant that with the Mirena, it is a possibility that she would stop menstruating.
    Last edited by ForMyCousin; 07-26-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed personal info

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    I'm blunt. Your cousin won't cath herself (another post) yet she's all ready to have sex than learn to be more independent in her own life ?
    Exactly. You said it, Miss Liz.

As an EM doc (according to your profile), you undoubtedly have access to other physicians who have the latest info on all things SCI. You also are familiar with frequent fliers in e.r.'s., meaning those individuals you see repeatedly who are non compliant and don't do anymore than necessary to stay alive.

BTW, what did you learn when reading the Emie14 is a fake thread yesterday? Just curious how and why someone new here, someone with a fresh SCI in the family, goes straight for that particular little bit of CCC history.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ForMyCousin View Post
    It isn't for sex / birth control but to stop menstruation.

When I said it it would be "one less thing we have to deal with in her care," I meant that with the Mirena, it is a possibility that she would stop menstruating.

I know she was having sex with her boyfriend before the accident and was on Seasonique for BC which gave her periods four times a year. Now, she is having a period twice a month.

If she is actually having sex, it would surprise me. She doesn't leave the house alone and does little other than going to rehab. She talks about how she can't stand to touch her "half dead" body. She has good days, but they are infrequent.

I am trying to find a balance between being gentle/compassionate and helping her achieve independence. Hence, my posts about cathing herself and another I have about exercising.
    Just again, my opinion, but it's my ageist thing. Post another profile pic. I can not take you seriously as a med student.
    She's newly injured and if you were in my face pushing me I'd either push back hard or retreat. She's retreating if their is a family resemblance you are reminding her of what was. Not easy to handle so newly injured.

Where did she rehab?
    Are there peer mentors?
    Surprisingly she doesn't have "phanthom pain"?
    IC/ Bowel issues?
    Is the house accessible?
    School?

I'm having a horrific day so if I seem cruel it's not intentional, again, your posts just throw me?
    I wish you well.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

pretty sure most doc's won't or can't insert a Mirena unless the cervix has been stretched from childbirth. That's my understanding.
    I'm with the ladies on some of their concerns here.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Where did she rehab?
    Are there peer mentors?
    Surprisingly she doesn't have "phanthom pain"?
    IC/ Bowel issues?
    Is the house accessible?
    School?

I'm having a horrific day so if I seem cruel it's not intentional, again, your posts just throw me?
    I wish you well.
    It's ok. I'm having a hard time too. I moved 10 hours from home to be able to help my aunt and cousin. I'm starting a new job. I have no friends in town. My cuz is having understandable problems. My aunt is like a second mother, and I can hardly talk to her because she is so stressed and can't concentrate. Lately, I feel like I can't do anything right. I know it isn't me. If I push my cousin, I'm mean. If I back off, then I hurt her feelings because I'm not caring enough. I have thick skin at work. Never needed to have it at home until now. I know this will pass.

Where did she rehab? Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation in Dallas.

Are there peer mentors? I don't know about peer mentors. I emailed a lady from rehab and asked for help yesterday. She called today, but I was at work.

Surprisingly she doesn't have "phanthom pain"? For a week after the MVA, she kept saying that she felt as though her legs were bent up in her face. Otherwise, she only complains of pain in her back and wrist.

IC/ Bowel issues? I could write a page on this issue alone. We put up a dry erase board to keep up with cathing times, but it isn't helping. She doesn't have a consistent bowel program. I am at my wits end on the issue, so I am less involved in bowel & bladder care. I was already told that while my medical knowledge is respected, she doesn't want to do it.

Is the house accessible? Yes, the house is two stories. There was a small study with a private bath which has been converted into a nice bedroom. A wonderful group (http://www.joeywilkinsfoundation.org/) came to the house and remodeled the bathroom door, shower and built ramps to the front and rear door. The front ramp is steep, so she uses the back one more often. She has a hard time wheeling around on the carpet, but I was hoping that would change as she gets stronger. Plus, she is still in a loaner wheelchair. Her permanent chair from order while in rehab should have arrived by now, so we are hoping that it will be here any day.

School? She finished her high school requirements in December and attended graduation in May in her wheelchair. The day of her accident, she had picked up college enrollment information to go to an enrollment event the next day. She asked me about starting college a few days ago, but the enrollment date for the major universities have passed. We discussed taking some online courses at the community college for the fall. She wants to be a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor which is something she can still do. I have looked into Univ Texas in Arlington which has a great program for people with disabilities. I was on campus and saw a bunch of people in wheelchairs last month. I had to run after them to catch up and discovered that they train for the paralympics from UTA. I drove my cousin around campus hoping to get her excited about it. I figured it would be a great place to become independent.
    Last edited by ForMyCousin; 07-26-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Removed personal info

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    pretty sure most doc's won't or can't insert a Mirena unless the cervix has been stretched from childbirth. That's my understanding.
    I'm with the ladies on some of their concerns here.
    The Mirena can be inserted on someone who has not had children. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists approves the use of IUDs for women who have never been pregnant. There are lots of reasons that make them less desirable for women without children - insertion can be more difficult, expulsion is more common, and the increased risk of STDs in younger women lead to higher rates of PID.

I know that some doctors are hesitant / will not insert them for women who have not had children. If you really want an IUD, simply call around for a doctor who feels comfortable inserting one.

I am on my third Mirena, and I have no children. I always feel period-like cramping for a few days after insertion. I will gladly take that in exchange for not having a period in just over 10 years.

How dare you all attack this person. You're all acting stupid
    and nasty. What's become of this forum? I need to leave for
    a while because I'm soooo disgusted by some of the behavior
    I've seen in this thread.