Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: While preparing for the Cure...

While preparing for the Cure...

...we all talk about keeping ourselves as healthy as possible. What isn't talked about as much is the other just as important aspect in the preparation is the potential cost of such a cure to the individual. How important is it then for us to try and start saving some "surviving the cure cash"?

Now I believe the last time this topic was brought up many suggested that this would be no problem, because it would be far cheaper for the powers that be to cure us rather than continue to pay for our care. While this way of thinking makes sense and is logical I find myself thinking..."when has the government and/or insurance coverage acted in a way that makes sense and is logic?"... Can we really expect to have this procedure done with no financial cost to ourselves?

I figure the first few hundred "procedures" will be done for free, afterall, the people who put their bodies on the line at first will be for lack of better terms, "guinea pigs"...but after the "procedure" is perfected the $ signs will come into play. Lets face it, we live in a capitalistic society and that the people who discover and impliment this "cure procedure" are going to want to make money of it. The cost will be fairly high.

I watched a show on dateline last night on the cost of drunk driving to society, the showed a few innocent car wreck victims and the cost to them for surgery to repair their damage. One girl, who had extensive facial damage faced a hospital bill of over 100,000 dollars for one surgery alone. Her health insurance would only cover about 35,000 of this. She was looking forward to another 100,000 dollars worth of follow up surgery that she and her family were trying to raise money for.

We all in our way have worked hard to raise money for a cure...can you imagine having to do it all again to raise money for the "cure procedure" for everyone? Yeesh...thats a lot of raffle tickets to try and sell yet again.

I hate to be negative (although some around here say I enjoy it), but let's figure out a rough average for the potential cost to the individual. Let's say that such a "procedure" costs about 200,000 for the original "reconnection" for lack of better terms...add to that the 6-12 months of daily physio therapy and the potential year or two of follow up therapy afterwards. I don't know, say another 100 grand for the "post procedure treatment"? So unless someone can come up with more exact numbers lets say for the sake of arguement that the actual cost of such a procedure comes to $300,000. This is just the actual monies that will have to be payed to the hospital and professionals involved.

The added cost to the individual will be a bit more...for 2 years or more the individual will be busy getting back whatever function they can, there will be no time for school or work, the cost to the individual and their families, while worth it in the long run, will still be a major hardship for all.

Now the original money of $300,000 some may not have to worry about, if you have a super duper insurance plan that you think will cover the cost or if you live in a state or country that has free healthcare this money will not be of concern to the individual, but I'd venture to guess that most don't have such coverage (call your insurance company with this hypothetical "procedure" and see what their response is to paying for it)...I'd venture to guess that much of the cost will be placed back onto the individuals lap. My math says that the cost of the "procedure itself will be 75 Billion dollars to cure all the sci'd people in the US.

Now again, I know the arguement will be raised that even at 75 billion it is still far cheaper to cure us than to care for us...true to a degree but false in the actual reality. Now most of us here agree that "the cure" cannot restore all of us to our exact former selves, some may get full recovery and have no need for further care...many, if not most will still require some sort of medical care even after the procedure so I don't agree with this arguement in that the cost of care while not as costly as before, will still be an issue for many.

So my questions for all are:
    We prepare for the cure mentally and physically and that is good, but how many of us are preparing financially for this soon to arrive cure? Should that not also be a concern when we speak of a cure? Does this mean we should all start sitting aside a little of our monthly paychecks for a "after cure fund" for ourselves and our families so that the burden isn't as bad as it may be? Do we need to start up another non-profit society to raise money to help pay for this cure when it comes? Or do we all just hope that society and the medical insurance industry act humanely and offer everyone this "procedure" for free? And that society and the government will act with compassion and offer us money to get by on for our families in the years following this procedure? It has been my experience that insurance companies don't act humanely and that the government has little to no sense of compassion for any one person. I figure that the burden will eventually be on ourselves and I am just wondering how many are financially prepared for such a burden.

Just something to think about while we prepare mentally and physically for the cure, I think the finance is an equally important aspect to "prepare" for when we talk of such a cure.

Any thoughts or ideas? I think considering the fact that a cure is coming that we need also to think about this aspect of the whole thing.

I've wondered about this too... even here in Canada I wonder if it will be fully covered? I hope my WCB will cover it... if not I'll ind the $$ somewhere....

I can see the headline now...

Bank Robber Wearing Ski Mask Seen Escaping in Power Wheelchair

hehe...

...be sure to change your tires...don't want them trackin you from the bank

$200K sounds like a very high estimate.

Isn't Kao doing a LONG and difficult procedure for $30K? If there is a therapy that comes along soon, rest assured someone will put together "travel package". Airfare, surgery, 4 weeks stay with physio... $45K or something like that.

$45K is a lot too.... It would be inexcusable if some people simply cannot afford to be cured. Unfortunately I think that is exactly what is going to happen at the beginning... slowly things will trickle down. It's not a very good or moral or just solution but that's the way it'll likely go. The trickle will take some time.

The other costs are much harder to estimate... but very substantial no doubt.

good post ParadudeCan

Thanks 99...

...but if I may respectfully disagree, you could be right about the 30-40k amount for the treatment itself...but for many...bone reconstruction with be necessary as well (cha ching = sound of the tab going up), many have bone density issues that will need to be addressed...cha ching. Joint replacement surgery for many quads and paras alike...cha ching. One will have to be a resident in rehab just like we were after our injury...most likely longer because in the case of the cure we will actually be getting better in rehab rather than just adapting to our lack of mobility...cha ching.

I worry about this for myself only in regards to the hardship it will cause me and family while I am not able to work. I should get the medical bills paid for, that is not a problem for me, but I know that I am one of the very lucky and very few, I would hope others will be like you 99 in that you sincerely seem to care about "the others" as well.

Surprised actually at the slow response to this, I guess most want to worry about the cure getting here first and will worry about paying for it after. 180 people viewed this post yet very few responses..... Too much reality in one day I guess.

[This message was edited by ParaDudeCan on Jun 19, 2002 at 11:51 PM.]

..."when has the government and/or insurance coverage acted in a way that makes sense and is logic?"... it hasn't happened in my personal dealing with either two. I think your right PD in that most people will worry about getting the cure first then worry about paying for it, what's a little more dept. I've read in many places the average house hold has $8,000 just in credit card dept. yeesh. Well here's my two cents on your topic

Way to pay for a cure....
    1. Sit down (ha ha) with an insurance broker tell him/her your needs and find a policy which will cover as much as possible of the costs. this policy will be spendy probably $500-750 a month $6,000-9,000 a year and will leave you with some of the medical bills. The plus of this is the insurance although not cheep will pay out more then your paid them, insurance company's get cut rates which normal people don't which intern will leave you with less of a balance to pay, also the great insurance paper trail which will give you a 6-9 month time lag between when your cure starts and the people start looking at you for money because they spent the last 6-9 months getting paid from the insurance company.

2. SAVE MONEY

3. If you own a home try to make one extra payment a year. One extra payment a year will turn a 30yr loan into a 19yr loan and a 15yr to a 13yr. So if you cant pay your home off before a cure you will atleast have more equity to take out in a refinance to help pay for things

4. 401k as long as you or your spouse, if you have one can take out a loan against
    your 401k up to 50% of its value as long as you work for a company. the benefit is your paying the loan back to yourself interest and all

5. IRA and ROTH IRA's the government has made it easy to pull money from these.

6. Get the cure file for bankruptcy protection????

7. their are more i just cant think of them right now

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

Stock up on credit cards

I have about $25,000 in credit cards. I'll max these out and sell my house in order to get my life back. I've also thought about getting a grant from the government to start a not-for-profit to help those that don't have the money. There are plenty of stats out there that will show the government how much they will save. When we're ready, Chris, I want you to be the CFO. Day-dreaming? Maybe, then again, maybe not. Stranger things have happened. I'd prefer to think about this as opposed to no cure.

Deb

I’ve wondered about this too.

My insurance coverage is pretty good, but it is still a business. Everyone knows the cost-benefit between care vs. cure is obvious right? I don't think so.

Let's use $100k as the assumed cost. I'm not talking about any rehab costs. Just preop exams and testing, neurosurgery, and hospital (acute) recovery. Compare that with how much you will 'probably' cost your insurer over 36 months. And I don't mean 'cost to society' stuff like forgone taxes, lost productivity, etc. Insurance companies will not benefit from those gains. Only the highest level injuries and/or most ill would likely cost that much.

Why 36 months? That's about the average length a person stays with a health plan before moving on to the next one. Unless the insurance company can recoup it's investment, plus a little for taxes and profit, it will not pay. It's not personal, it's just business.

I'm already saving. I only hope I get to spent it one day.

Life care plan

Most major insurance companies will pay for the cure, weather it costs $100,000 or $500,000. A life care plan (health and care costs) for the average quad is about $30,000/year. Over a life time that would be $2.5 to 5 million depending on the age and level on injury. Check the UAB website on spinal cord data (life expectancy and costs for more details). A cure will pay for itself in 10 years or less in lowered health care costs. The insurance companies will put a pen to it and will follow the least cost scenario every time! Now a lower level SC injury (T or L) in an older person (over 50 years) will be a different story.