Thread: Using 'regular' sedan taxis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using 'regular' sedan taxis

Hi,

I'm visiting the US in September and I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered any problems using non-accessible sedan taxis while on their own?

I've used them in California before with no problems but at that time I was with my brother, so he was able to break the chair down and put it in the boot.

I can transfer easily enough through the narrow doors but will taxi drivers be prepared to take the wheels off the chair and put it in the back? Or will they just palm you off, I know taxi drivers can be a bit hit or miss with regards to demeanour!

Thanks.

I've never had any problem with drivers. They make their real money on tips. I take the wheels off. Tell them to be careful of the grease on the axles and axle sleeves and they put the stuff in the trunk.

This has also been my experience
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I've never had any problem with drivers. They make their real money on tips. I take the wheels off. Tell them to be careful of the grease on the axles and axle sleeves and they put the stuff in the trunk.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I've actually had less problems with "regular sedan cab" drivers then wheelchair cab drivers. I've had everything from tiedowns not done properly to one wheelchair cab driver that hopped out while the cab was still rolling slightly.

Have to wonder if the wheelchair cabs are sometimes assigned to the new drivers or the misfits...

Thanks for these responses.

I actually had an accessible cab driver in the US who didn't even bother using the tiedowns at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    Thanks for these responses.

I actually had an accessible cab driver in the US who didn't even bother using the tiedowns at all.
    LOL..same! some driver in Vegas! I went from the hotel to the airport by holding onto the headrests! an adventure ot say the least!
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Our only bad experience has been when the driver wants to be too helpful my husband has a T 4 injury and the cab driver kept trying to lift him in rather than letting him transfer. He was sweet and just wanting to help but got in the way instead.

Only problem I have had is finding sedan taxis. In SF they have all sorts of wacky cars as taxis, I have had much better luck with town cars. Depending on what you are doing they aren't that much more expensive, are really easy to get into and the drivers are usually nicer/more helpful than your average taxi driver.