Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot,uncomfortable,and sweaty every other day....WHY?

Hot,uncomfortable,and sweaty every other day....WHY?

I am C2-C3 incomplete with Brown Sequard.I get very hot and uncomfortable every other day( odd huh )for at least 7 yrs now,it could be in the middle of winter outside,and I still feel hot.I have the air turned down low,my friends are shocked that I am hot to the touch.Yes I do take my meds the same every day,what kinds you ask...pain,muscle relaxers.Where am I hot?my forehead mainly.No I dont get cold the other day...feel good actually.I can't think of anything else at the moment,will post if do.Does anyone have the same problem?Can someone tell me what is going on?And No I'm not going through menopause HaHa... seriously what's up? Gunnslinger8
    I'm editing.....just read feeling sweaty lately.Im incom. quad with feeling,so it's not pain,but I'm not able to feel hot,cold,or pain on my good side...not a contradiction.hypersensitive on affected side,really strange.My friends have a cool story to tell when talking about me.
    Last edited by Gunnslinger8; 07-22-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Not because of pain.

Gunnslinger8 - hello
    I hope you don't mind if I move your post to Care Forum. More people may be able to help you there.......

No prob. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnslinger8 View Post
    I am C2-C3 incomplete with Brown Sequard.I get very hot and uncomfortable every other day( odd huh )for at least 7 yrs now,it could be in the middle of winter outside,and I still feel hot.I have the air turned down low,my friends are shocked that I am hot to the touch.Yes I do take my meds the same every day,what kinds you ask...pain,muscle relaxers.Where am I hot?my forehead mainly.No I dont get cold the other day...feel good actually.I can't think of anything else at the moment,will post if do.Does anyone have the same problem?Can someone tell me what is going on?And No I'm not going through menopause HaHa... seriously what's up? Gunnslinger8
    I'm editing.....just read feeling sweaty lately.Im incom. quad with feeling,so it's not pain,but I'm not able to feel hot,cold,or pain on my good side...not a contradiction.hypersensitive on affected side,really strange.My friends have a cool story to tell when talking about me.

It is strange. About 2 months ago, I started getting hot and sweaty twice a day. Sometime from between 3:30 AM to 5:00 AM, I will start getting hot. I throw off the sheet and put my arms above my trying to cool off and it doesn't work. Some twelve hours later, the same thing happens. I can be in a very cool area and still start sweating. I sweat from my stomach up. It will last from about 30 minutes to a couple of hours. My PCP says it sounds like something with my autonomic system but offered no information on how to treat it.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks Millard. I'm going to check up on the autonomic system( whatever the hell that is ) and research.Millard you are lucky,just think I've been going through this for over 7 yrs now.I hope this passes quick for you.
    I wonder ( out loud ) if the nurses know what's going on.I just have to say I talked with the P.A. at the Dr.s office,she said something about withdrawal signs( from drugs )but first of all I don't do drugs ( anymore ) and 7 yrs.I dont know anyone who has gone through w.d. THAT LONG.I hope I don't have something seriously wrong.I just need to say,no checkup in my life ( as far as I remember ) I gotta bad feeling now thinking about it. Thanks again Millard. Gunnslinger8

Hello,

The temperature instability that many SCI folks experience is related to their autonomic nervous system being disrupted after your injury. Google search of carecure search this
    and you will find tons of information. Dr Young has written about this in his papers on the effects of spinal cord injury. Why this happens regularly every other day I cannot explain. The higher up the injury ( you are C2, considered high injury), the more in my experience this autonomic dysfunction is effected.

If that is the cause, most people adjust their clothing, room temperature, and fluid intake to help with these symptoms. I would recommend yearly checkups for all SCI folks.

RE teh withdrawal of drugs, perhaps he was talking about meds like baclofen. If you regularly take baclofen and miss doses for a few days, it can cause withdrawal type symptoms that can cause this. It can be dangerous, so I would warn about that, though it does not sound like you are missing meds. Lets see what others have to say as well.

AAD

I'm an enigma.

Thanks for the reply.How much do I owe?LOL. If you got a nickel every time you answered a question ( 34,743 posts ) ahhhhhh you would have a lot of nickels ( not good at math ) did I get a brain injury too,my friends think so.LOL
    Gunnslinger8.

Blog Entries
    The other thing you might look at is to see whether the crappy days correlate to bowel care. If you go every other day, it may be that on the second day your abdomen is fuller than the first, and you are getting a vasovegal reaction to the volume changes in your abdomen. For me, these episodes make me feel like I'm having a hot flash, even though my temp does not change. depending on the severity, I may feel like I'm about to pass out. If they are severe, I find that I am able to alleviate the attack by chewing a couple of multi-symptom (gas and heartburn) Rolaids or Tums (with symethicone).
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I will never know why!

Thanks Donno. You are going to be shocked and everyone else.I don't have BMs,but once or twice every 2 weeks,that's right I didn't mistype.A couple months after acc. while I was in rehab the nurses were really concerned,because I was not regular.The thing is I was like that before acc.I told Dr. and nurses, they were relieved,but shocked they said I need to take stool softeners( HATE THEM )or eat more fiber.Yes I know,it is not good for the body to take that long,but I'm use to it.I have over thought the reasons why I have temp. issues...still don't know. Gunnslinger8

I remember this thread!It brings back old memories.I happen to be " hot and sweaty " NOW!!!!!!!!! STUPID THREAD!
    GS8

I still can't get the answer to my question!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gunnslinger8; 08-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.