Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for beds

Suggestions for beds

Anyone have any suggestions for a good bed pad? I've got just a regular hospital bed but need extra cushioning. I've been using the blue four inch egg crate foam for years. Just wanted to know if there was something out there better. I am trying to minimize the amount of turning involved.

Thank you

I've had great luck with my Select Comfort (Sleep Number) bed for 13 years, expensive but worth it.

Blue eggcrate foam is totally worthless. If you can get by with just an overlay, then either a 4" memory foam (viscoelastic foam) or something like a Biogard AFT or Geomatt is good.

Consider a replacement pressure reducing mattress though. It will last longer, and unlike an overlay, will not cause the bed to be higher, making transfers more difficult.

SpanAmerica, Invacare, Joerns, and many other companies make good quality foam pressure reducing mattresses. I like the Joerns ProCair VR, but a good quality viscoelastic foam mattress can be obtained much cheaper than the Tempurpedic brand (they spend a LOT of money on advertising, so must have higher prices).

(KLD)

the blue foam is hardly worthless and it cost very little. i replace it about once a year and have for the last 10. thank you for the other options though, i'll do some research.

I have a tempurpedic and I love it. I didn't try any other beds but this one is really comfortable. I also hear that sleep numbers are great.

I have a Sleep Number XL twin bed with the capability to raise the foot and head of the bed to an infinite number of positions and adjust the pressure. I was pressure mapped at the store on the Sleep Number bed and found a number that works well for me. My wife has a separate XL twin bed although you can get a split king size and I think a split queen size.

If you are not considering replacing your entire bed, but are just looking for something to make your current bed more comfortable and reduce turns, I would suggest looking into natural medically treated sheepskin. These skins are treated to stand up to high temperature washing in home laundries. They wick moisture and heat and reduce pressure at those typical points, i.e., shoulder, ships, buttocks and heals. I use two skins, one at the foot of the bed for my feet and one for shoulders through upper thighs. I use these now on the Sleep Number bed and have used them for 28 year since I have gotten out of rehab on natural latex foam mattresses. I sleep on my back, don't turn during the night and I have not experienced any pressure sores. I know I may be the exception, and that all of us have different tolerances, but this is something that has worked well for me.

There are a number of companies who offer sheepskins, but you must make sure they are the treated ones for medical purposes.

http://www.medicalsheepskins.com/

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    They wick moisture and heat and reduce pressure at those typical points, i.e., shoulder, ships, buttocks and heals.
    I know sheepskin reduces sheer, but I've never heard that it helps reduce pressure before?

jd, Foam mattresses are worthless, you've just been lucky. More years spent in chair = greater risk of pressure sores. I use an alternating air pressure mattress overlay ... I'd like the real bed but my employer's insurance doesn't cover it anymore (they used to ten years ago apparently).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I know sheepskin reduces sheer, but I've never heard that it helps reduce pressure before?
    You might find this information interesting in that it shows pressure mapping results using various seating/bedding surfaces.
    http://www.medicalsheepskins.com/pressuresmartXD.htm

Additionally, here are some excerpts from articles on prevention and treatment of pressure sores:
    http://www.specialtylowairlossmattre.../articles.aspx
    Use mattresses or equipment that reduce or address pressure problems. Natural sheepskin, in particular, is comfortable and soft. It is friction-free due to natural fibers that are also protected with natural oils. Weight redistribution over a large area is also one of sheepskin's qualities that helps ease the pressure. On top of that, the springy wool fibers are high-density, making for comfortable and relatively reduced pressure on body parts.
    Padding made of sheepskin also reduces the moisture produced on the skin when you lie in one position or area for too long. Sheepskin fibers can hold 30 to 36% of the moisture without becoming damp. The elimination of moisture from the skin and into the fibers is another way of relieving or even preventing bed sores from happening.

http://www.thiscaringhome.org/virtua...lays_guide.htm
    Medical Sheepskin: How it Works
    Thick, soft, springy wool fibers distribute body weight and pressure points over a large area.
    • Wicks away moisture from the skin.
    • Sheepskin absorbs over 30% of fiber weight in moisture.
    • Smooth pile reduces friction & skin tearing.
    • Good for people who complain of heat; remains cool in summer and warm in winter.
    Special Concerns
    • Sheepskin is placed on top of bottom fitted sheet (person sleeps on the sheepskin).
    • Safety Wise! Not all sheepskin is the same. Choose sheepskin with an optimum therapeutic wool pile that meets the Australian Standard 4480.1 for Australian Medical Sheepskins.
    • Buy a single size for localized relief from pressure sores.
    • Buy a double size for full body relief.
    • Green sheepskin is specially tanned to be urine resistant.
    • Machine washable and dryable but may take two drying cycles. Although pricey, consider buying two so you can wash one.

m-tech.co.il/photos/uploads/primary%20intention%20article-no%20add.pdf

http://www.erdoganderi.com.tr/doc/Re...sureUlcers.doc

Sheepskins may not be the most high tech or most modern method for helping to prevent bed acquired pressure sores, but they are a cost effective alternative to consider.

All the best,
    GJ

There are also low air loss/alternating air mattress overlays that don't cost a whole lot.
    Heres some examples- http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=...w=1366&bih=681

I have used one in the hospital and it seemed to work good, not quite as good as a regular low air loss mattress but way better than egg crate foam.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

I don't know what I used when I had to go into the hospital for a 3 day stay during chemotherapy treatment for non-Hodgkins lymphoma a few years ago. But they put me on a bed that had a device that inflated and deflated the mattress in alternating areas on the mattress. Is this what is meant when you refer to low air loss/alternating air mattress or air alternating mattress? If so, I don't know how you get any sleep with one of these things. They make a LOT of noise all the time. I got very little sleep and felt like I was suffering from traumatic hearing loss whenever the nurses would turn the thing off for one reason or another. Was the one I used just not adjusted right or something? How do you and/or your companion sleep with all the noise?

Has anyone tried a Roho mattress overlay?

All the best,
    GJ