Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

The suspension is adjustable too? what kind of suspension has, air suspension?

It's a mountain bike style air shock with adjustable compression, damp, and rebound - we have a couple of options from Fox right now - the Float RP23 and the Float R.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    Now I'm not even sure who's on my side now.....Let me see if I've got this straight.....you:
    1) bought a chair that was perfectly spec'd, then
    2) you changed your mind about what kind of tires you like, which
    3) affected both your dump and backrest angle, so now
    4) you're too laid-back, and finally
    5) you're ordering another non-adjustable chair?
    You certainly seem to have my number, but I don't really think I had picked sides. Things don't always have to be so black and white. I voiced my opinion on an open internet forum. If you didn't want to start a discussion posting here wasn't the best idea. I had signed up to recieve an e-mail through your website once things were rolling for you guys, I think that would have served you better if you are not interested in criticism. If our positions were reversed I would value the opinion of a full-time user like myself that uses and can afford high-end equipment.

As for your understanding of my chair situation, you seem to have missed my next post.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I was ordering a rugby chair from them .... my Lasher is great for summer-time car transfers .... weighs less than a gallon jug of milk (transfer weight).... sideguards and [push handles] to drag my bitch-ass out of the snow a new chair is a must.... My other concern was airline travel .... not letting the baggage handlers loose on my magnesium Lasher.
    I hope you can see my point of view.

If you'd have posted 2 weeks earlier I might have considered an Icon if I could of wrapped my head around it appearance of it. Honestly the thing is hard to love. A year ago I probably might not have thought this way, but after going minimalistic for the last 8 months I just can't imagine dinking around with it. My Lasher has 2 set screws for the footrest height and 2 fork stems. Set it and forget it. As a C7 quad I am not going off-roading with my wheelchair anytime soon. I have a handcycle for that.

When my Oracing lands I am getting some ergo seating put in my Lasher to correct my backrest angle. Even a welded solid chair is adjustable. It's only 4 degrees, I'm really not affected by it, but my posture will improve when I use it while driving my little pony car. Different chairs for different uses, just like the Icon definitely has a time and place (which due to its suspension is damn near everywhere because of the lock-out). I'd have a very difficult time putting pushers on something like an Icon, even only for the winter, because I am so damn vain.

I wish you well, I'm jealous of the position you and Christian are in. I'm sorry if you took my opinions the wrong way.

I have talked to a lot of guys in chairs about suspension chairs over my short tenure and there's really not alot of strong support, it's just alot of money for something unknown. You are really fighting an uphill battle - you're going to have to get those rehab therapists and DMEs on-board. Not an easy task. Without pushers, armrests, and all the other crap people bolt to their shit, it's gonna be a struggle. Again, I would just get them out there. When I was in rehab if someone had parked a chair like that in the physical therapy room next to all the beat up Quickie and Ti's I'd be in one. At that point, with a freshly broken neck, you'll do anything to feel good about yourself again and the chair is basically all you think about.

Just to be clear - I have the utmost respect for you, you have represented our country as a wheelchair athlete and that is one of my dreams. I hope to someday have half the amount of drive and determination you display.
    Last edited by tooley; 07-23-2011 at 08:08 PM.

I’ve been using a chair since 97 and I want the adjustability. I am always experimenting with some small change. Not too long ago I tried a different cushion that was thinner and couldn’t get the chair adjusted the way I wanted for that cushion, and now I want to make my chair thinner. I’m also a fan of suspension. I’m still riding around in an old beat up XTR because I like the suspension. I demoed the Marvel and I liked its suspension better but ended up not buying it because of the Cervelo debacle. I also demoed a Tilite TR with what they said was a suspension (a couple pieces of rubber under the seat). The first night I had it, I hit a gutter at the same speed that I hit it every night with my XTR, and broke a piece of plastic on the chair and almost launched myself right out of the chair. I’m pretty rough on my chairs, whether because of going hunting, fishing, wakeboarding, or just doing stupid wheelchair-jackass stunts like seeing who can make it down a hill without crashing.

I want something with a real suspension that I can adjust when I want to, and that is going to stand up to my abuse. I’m not too concerned with the weight, but a little lighter than my XTR would be nice since I lift it in and out of a 4 wheel drive pickup several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    so wait a few weeks. you've never heard of a pre-order with any other product?
    Pre-order? I'd say! They haven't even manufactured one yet. And yeah, I'll wait a few weeks. And at that time I'll be sitting in a shiny new Oracing and you'll be sitting on your hands wondering where your money is.

Honestly man, as a C5 quad with the dump you run, why are you taking this so personal? You're only going to have like 20% of the suspension available to you unless you plan on having a front seat height of 23". That's not really practical, I have to say that maybe you are interested in this as more of a status symbol.

It's great you want to see the little guy get ahead, but don't get mad when someone puts forth something other than what goes on in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Pre-order? I'd say! They haven't even manufactured one yet. And yeah, I'll wait a few weeks. And at that time I'll be sitting in a shiny new Oracing and you'll be sitting on your hands wondering where your money is.

Honestly man, as a C5 quad with the dump you run, why are you taking this so personal? You're only going to have like 20% of the suspension available to you unless you plan on having a front seat height of 23". That's not really practical, I have to say that maybe you are interested in this as more of a status symbol.

It's great you want to see the little guy get ahead, but don't get mad when someone puts forth something other than what goes on in your head.
    Apparently you missed two mentions in this thread about me working with/for Jeff. If my responses have come across as taking this personally, perhaps it's because I feel compelled to defend the efforts of the company from naysayers who base unfounded judgements off a couple low-resolution images. I'm not what you could refer to as a fan boy, but rather someone who is invested to a certain capacity with Icon.

I've been injured for a decade more than yourself, at C6/7, not C5. I have the equipment I need, and I'm certainly not looking to get something new and shiny as a status symbol.

With whatever respect is due, you don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    @toto:

Your level of injury lets you adjust to the frame you ride even though it's not necessarily perfectly tuned, it's not the case for all of us. Many of us have been in chairs for much more years than you and we know what we need, it's just that it's not that easy to get exactly what we know we need when we buy a new wheelchair, there are too many unknowns with a new wheelchair. On top of that, needs are changing with time due to injuries, body changes, new cushion, new tires, new wheels, new backrest and so on ... that is where adjustability can come handy.
    This is an extremely important point that JGNI makes in distinguishing those with lower injuries and one those with mid thoracic or higher level injuries. I have fairly functional grip, but it is still weaker than normal. With the recent heat and humidity, the little bit of added condensation on my glossy black NaturalFits has given me awesome grip and I am able to push with so much greater efficiency than I usually do. It dawned on me the other day that para's have the grip strength to generate that type of push all the time.

I wonder what the handrim choices will be on the Icon order form?

@tooley - I think we're ships passing in the night on a couple of issues.

First, we do want your criticism - it's super valuable - I commented recently that it's more important for us to listen to the people who are critiquing us than the ones who are agreeing with us.

(Please nobody take this as a request to stop agreeing with us - after the last year, kind words are very welcome and very much appreciated)

My point is that:

We want to continue to improve. The only way to do that is to keep listening to the people who use chairs every day, believe what they tell us, and act on the changes that are requested/required.

We've got thick skin, so let us know what you like, what you don't, and what you want and need. We might not always agree or be in a position to make it happen overnight, but I promise that we'll always listen, and always consider the opinions and advice, and we're always open to debate.

@Lee1 - I think we might be in the double digits lighter than your XTR - they weighed well over 30lbs, right? We're looking at under 22, all in, with wheels.

@SCI_OTR - the pushring options will follow along with the wheels - I'm a fan of the PushBlax too - we're offering most of the usual suspects for wheels, so we'll be able to order pretty much any rims that a client wants/needs. For the regular distribution channels, we were mostly going to leave that to the dealers - for the VA, we'll have to make sure that we can source the pushrings to get to them directly - I don't anticipate that being very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    It's a mountain bike style air shock with adjustable compression, damp, and rebound - we have a couple of options from Fox right now - the Float RP23 and the Float R.
    Looks good, i thought you have some type of air suspension like lorries inside that central thread tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    This is an extremely important point that JGNI makes in distinguishing those with lower injuries and one those with mid thoracic or higher level injuries. I have fairly functional grip, but it is still weaker than normal. With the recent heat and humidity, the little bit of added condensation on my glossy black NaturalFits has given me awesome grip and I am able to push with so much greater efficiency than I usually do. It dawned on me the other day that para's have the grip strength to generate that type of push all the time.

I wonder what the handrim choices will be on the Icon order form?
    @jeff: Great job. Third time is a charm. I cannot get one for a few months as I've just bled a pretty penny on related and unrelated expenses.

@SCI-OTR: Wax will work for you. PM a mailing address and you can try it out, gratis. Don't put paraffin or kerosene wax (typical surf wax) as that will slick out in a matter of days. My stuff is beeswax and other organic ingredients. Don't eat it but you'll probably be OK if you do. :-)