Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    That said, no one has sat in a production model yet, so the verdict is still out, but things are looking real good...
    this would not instill a lot of confidence in me if I were interested in one. They are for sale but not one has been produced yet? Yikes.

"Here's my money. Can you build me something that is totally non-customized to my shape, size or personality? Thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    or the money to custom order a new chair from another continent because their new tires don't fit just right on a non-adjustable chair.

this thread is getting ridiculous.
    it's called confidence. Look it up. As far as money is concerned, "I'm riiiich, biiiiiitch".

Fact is I was ordering a rugby chair from them and am headed back to school. I will likely be taking the subway. With no push handles or sideguards my Lasher is great for summer-time car transfers into my Mustang, it weighs less than a gallon jug of milk (transfer weight). But for the winter season and wardrobe concerns sideguards and some way for someone to drag my bitch-ass out of the snow a new chair is a must. What's another $7000 (retail)? Throw it in the crate.

My other concern was airline travel once I get going to rugby tournaments this year. I am not letting the baggage handlers loose on my magnesium Lasher. It probably smishes like a warm mosquito. Let's see them crush my exotic box-frame Oracing. I'll carry a copy of the invoice, get cut a cheque and be on my way.

Take a deep dreath Scott. You guys will do fine. I really think there is a market if done correctly. Hit up rehab centers with some good videos and as I said some demo chairs. When I was in rehab I'd stay awake nights just dreaming about where a Marvel could take me. But if insurance won't pay it's gonna be some tough sales.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    this would not instill a lot of confidence in me if I were interested in one. They are for sale but not one has been produced yet? Yikes.

"Here's my money. Can you build me something that is totally non-customized to my shape, size or personality? Thanks."
    so wait a few weeks. you've never heard of a pre-order with any other product?

the measurement spec ranges on your Lasher (which are set in stone) are all within (if not more limited than) the Icon's measurement ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I had my Lasher built with tires I thought I'd like, when I switched back to my SpeedRuns it affected my dump and backrest angle. I'm now a little too laid-back. I need to be more like you. Rained all day yesterday, had some help measuring and lots of input to think about for my rugby chair from my teammates Thursday night..

Orders will be sent Monday 8am Valencia time.
    Hmmm.

Now I'm not even sure who's on my side now.....

Let me see if I've got this straight.....you:

1) bought a chair that was perfectly spec'd, then

2) you changed your mind about what kind of tires you like, which

3) affected both your dump and backrest angle, so now

4) you're too laid-back, and finally

5) you're ordering another non-adjustable chair?

After that story, and before the rumours start to fly, I want everyone to know that tooley is NOT on our payroll, and he will NOT be getting a free Icon (I can just about guarantee that 100%), but geez....thanks tooley.....I couldn't have written a better endorsement for adjustability.....and I'm glad you're rich.

Kidding aside, Oracing are nice chairs, they seem like good guys, and I'm sure they'll do a good build for you - good luck with your new chair.

PS - we do try to keep it simple - the table thing isn't a made up story - the table is hewn from stone - worth a lot more than his wheelchair, he doesn't want to "jack it up" because he commissioned it to look a certain way.

@JGNI - This is where the tubes sit vis a vis a person - the model in the photo is 5'8" - he's sitting 2.5" above the seat to mimic where we usually end up on a cushion. He has regular glutes though, so he looks like he's sitting a smidch

Attachment 41321

These are actual photos of the actual chair that was built, and that people sat in, and tested and gave us feedback on - as mentioned, the only difference is the change in the front wing. When -scott- said that there had been no "production prototypes" he meant using the exact processes that we'll use in production - eg. stampings instead of hand formed frame, and extrusions instead of CNC machined parts.

There will be no difference in performance from the ones we built by hand to the production models.

Attachment 41322
    Attachment 41323

Like -scott- said, we're taking pre-production orders for delivery in September, and only deposits - nobody has been asked to pay for a chair.

@tooley - why not get an Icon and carry it in the overhead instead of kissing it goodbye at the plane door?

Thanks Jeff, real pictures look better, and after touching my calves where your wing will be it seems to work for preventing leg-frogging.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    When -scott- said that there had been no "production prototypes" he meant using the exact processes that we'll use in production - eg. stampings instead of hand formed frame, and extrusions instead of CNC machined parts.

There will be no difference in performance from the ones we built by hand to the production models.
    Right, sorry... should've been more clear... I'm referring to the final product that will be available for purchase.

p.s. you can just call me Scott.

So, what is the approximate weight of the chair?

We still have to add the hardware and front wheels and forks to this number, and the upholstery for the back but here's the slide from our FEA on our weight reduction exercise.

Attachment 41325

Since some potential users don't have issues with leg splaying, you might consider offering the chair with a choice of front caster wings: with/without the upswept tubing. Aesthetically, the "downswept" design is more pleasing in the eye of this beholder.

Based on my legs' contact points with the frames on my chairs, and from the pics and illustration you posted, I'm not sure that even the upswept frame would apply enough medial pressure to keep my legs together.