Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

Venit. Vidi. I Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

(He came. I saw. I liked it alot.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Venit. Vidi. I Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

(He came. I saw. I liked it alot.)
    Think that there is any chance that the VA will consider supplying them to vets?
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Think that there is any chance that the VA will consider supplying them to vets?
    Scroll up. I think Jeff responded in the affirmative earlier in this thread.

Disclaimer: I didn't get any seat time in the Icon since the prototype I saw was used to complete ANSI RESNA testing. Time will tell whether my first impressions hold true.

Much of the discussion about the Icon in this forum has focused on its adjustability, suspension, or aesthetics. What I discovered today, however, is that the Icon is unique from any other wheelchair in many respects (including the Marvel).

The Icon has been touted as being "easily adjustable". I think a more-apt description of the Icon is that it is "easily re-configurable". The difference? Reconfiguring a chair implies making multiple adjustments with the goal of optimizing it for a specific purpose in a specific environment. While many of the Icon's adjustments can not be done on the fly, most can be done easily in less than a minute without tools. From what I've seen, these adjustments can be made with a high degree of precision and should stay put.

Here are a few examples of how its "ease of reconfiguration" may be of benefit.

For the push across campus to class, set it up with a long wheelbase, aggressive seat angle, and fairly upright back for good bio-mechanical efficiency. Later on, shorten the wheelbase, reduce the dump, and recline the back a little to work at a desk.

Going shopping? Trade off a little biomechanical efficiency in your push for a little extra reach by raising the STF heights (After all, floors in the store will be smooth and level).

Intend to go camping for the weekend? Throw on some knobbies, extend the wheelbase, and bring the caster housings around toward the front of the footrest (ala Q7 or Lasher BT-X).

Many have talked about their wheelchairs in terms of having the "right tools for the job". This is a chair that not only shows potential to do multiple jobs, but do each job with equal efficiency.

Like I said, time will tell.

Let's all hope that Jeff and Christian don't become the "Preston Tucker's" of the wheelchair world. It is a very innovative chair.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 08-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Does anyone know if the Icon will be at the Abilities Expo in San Jose California in November?

I'm really looking forward to the show and would love the chance to see and try the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    @Donno - like all new (and existing) equipment, the veteran and his/her clinician will have to agree that there is a need for the equipment that can be justified. I think that the VA will consider anything that a vet requests, but will only approve equipment that can be reasonably justified.

We're working on getting on the vendors list with the VA, which will make it a lot easier for vets to access our product, but until then, the Icon can currently be purchased for a vet by the VA, but only if the VA seating therapist believes that the Icon can be justified - they would need to include in a form "10-2641" explaining why they thing the Icon is the best/appropriate chair for the vet, so there's a bunch of extra paperwork that needs to be done, and the final approval has to be stamped at central office, but it is possible.

Any vet who is interested in seeing the Icon should get in touch with our VA rep - Kristine Bacharach (kristine @ iconwheelchairs dot com), or send us a message through our website, and put us in touch with their seating therapist so that we can go in and demo the chair. The more vets who make requests from their clinicians, the easier it will be for us to make a case for getting on the vendors list.

Kristine and I went to the PVA games in Pittsburgh last week, and the reception we got was pretty amazing - we had a prototype with us, and did dozen of demos for vets and clinicians from all over the country - we even did one in Spanish for the therapists from Puerto Rico, and showed it off to a vet from Guam. People seem genuinely excited, and I hope it doesn't seem like bragging, but when we did our demos, people were crowding around two and three deep to see.

@grommet - we will be at the show in San Jose. Hopefully we can draw a mob there too.....

That's great! I can't wait to check the chair out, especially after what SCI-OTR said about it's adjustability. I design order and live with a chair the way it is. It's a new paradigm to think of having a chair you adjust to your needs at the time. It's hard to imagine the new kind of thinking I'd need. Really looking forward to seeing the chair.

"@grommet - we will be at the show in San Jose. Hopefully we can draw a mob there too..... "

Any pics of the prototype? Please!

Still looking for the latest Icon photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    ... - we had a prototype with us, and did dozen of demos for vets and clinicians from all over the country -... people were crowding around two and three deep to see.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteShick View Post
    Still looking for the latest Icon photos.
    @PS - All the latest photos/images are out there. As soon as we have anything new, I'll put them up.

I just recently received an In-service and we wrenched on the ICON chair. Now we, www.u2mobility.com are happy to be offering the ICON chair. I have seen many chairs developed over 30+ years. And this chair is one of the sleekest adjustable designed chairs on the market. If you want to get a competitive price give us a call!