Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

I have to agree. Knowing how good their last chair is, the Marvel M1, I'm sure this chair is going to be great but in my opinion it's not esthetically pleasing.
    My wife commented on how it doesn't matter what my wheelchair looks like, but I care a great deal and that's what matters to me. Everybody has a different opinion so os may love it. Good luck Jeff!

What about casters with suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    <sigh>
    I had such hope for this one.

Honesty mode ON.

All those nuts and bolts will be a maintenance nightmare. Seems like something a rich person would buy and use a couple times, but probably not because its not even esthetically pleasing. I think you guys have been too close to it for too long. Impressive idea, I bet it performs awesome but not very practical for the everyday user (and really, who isn't?) A seat sling and cushion offers enough suspension for all the wheelchair users I know, but I don't know anybody that launches off of loading docks.

You guys will no doubt sell a few if the price is right, most likely to new-SCIs that need adjustability following their stint in rehab. And for those I can foresee it being their one and only wheelchair for life because they will learn to love it. I would get alot of loaners out to rehab centers for use, along with some plane tickets for therapists to attend information junkets in the Carribean (like Quickie does to brainwash DMEs).

Too bad about the death of Marvel. I would've bought one due to the cool factor alone if the footrest wing was wide enough.

Kids - don't believe the hype, anything with this many fasteners will drive you nuts. Oh and have fun keeping all those nooks and crannies clean.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Great insight, Jeff, on the need for long-term adjustability - you really got me thinking!! I'm in my first chair (adjustable) and have been planning ahead for a minimally adjustable chair next time around - my mindset is now subject to change.
    Yup, at first I also thought of unadjustable for my second chair, but after I did all the adjustment, may be I would consider another adjustable chair again.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

The Icon is compatible with Frog Legs unitines and their suspension version.

Grown men ego/butt hurt. Unreal.

Congrats on the Icon. I feel much more confident using products designed, tested etc by those who have the same/similar needs. This will push an industry forward - thinking/creating better products so in that way, it is a victory for us all.

Nothing but love.

J.
    And the truth shall set you free.

I thought the Marvel looked perfect. I liked everything about it and was just hoping to find the money. I don't like the way this chair looks. It would be easier for me to find out about it at your website, I couldn't find a link in the posting. I'll do a search and try to find the site that way. I still want a Marvel but I trust you guys completely. If this is the next thing from you, I will take a serious look at it.

Thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    It would be easier for me to find out about it at your website, I couldn't find a link in the posting.
    www.iconwheelchairs.com
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I thought the Marvel looked perfect. I liked everything about it and was just hoping to find the money. I don't like the way this chair looks. It would be easier for me to find out about it at your website, I couldn't find a link in the posting. I'll do a search and try to find the site that way. I still want a Marvel but I trust you guys completely. If this is the next thing from you, I will take a serious look at it.

Thanks for letting us know.
    When I first showed pics of the Marvel to a wheelie friend of mine (SCI for at least 35 years) he said, "That makes a statement!" It's about as cool looking a wheelchair as I've seen. (The square tubing, however, was not ergonomically friendly and the wife of the friend who bought mine has registered her disapproval when she has to break the chair down and load it into the car.)

The Icon, I'm sure, will deliver the goods that the Marvel in its first and only iteration did not. The issues with the tight-fitting caster wing assembly won't apply and the Icon is apparently several pounds lighter. Looks-wise it's not a Bond Girl IMO, but I expect it will be of the highest quality and it's certainly not lacking for innovation. If I was in the market for an adjustable chair, I'd certainly consider it.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Yeah, definitely interested. These guys are the only makers who are chair users. Damn I wish the Marvel had made it. I don't think I'll get a chance to try the Icon unless I make to an Ability Expo though. I'm very interested.

Big deal, there's heaps of cool chairs as it is, do something different.

Another expensive wheelchair with a single purpose.

Bloody hell, it's shaping up that I will have to buy a 3D design package and design a chair myself, jesus christ do I have to do everything?!....lol

I will speak for myself: I want a (cool looking, minimalist designed) chair where you can get out of bed, roll sraight into the shower, enjoy a shower, then dry yourself and the chair off, back up over the toilet and take dump, wipe, roll out of the bathroom and then transfer back onto your bed, put a good cushion on the chair get back on it and get out into the world, possibly go overseas.

I want to go see the Tour de France next year and I want to take ONE chair and ONE chair ONLY, you speccy invention gits better get crackin', dont leave it up to me I have enough to do!...lol (all in good humour).
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Actually far better to take your crap PRIOR to getting in the shower any cooties will simply be washed away, even better!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.