Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

Icon Wheelchairs are now available for sale.

We’re very excited to announce that the Icon A1 wheelchair is now for sale for delivery in early October.

We’ll be selling through the dealer network and online through Sportaid.

If you know any dealers that would be interested in having us be a part of their mix, please have them contact us through our website or by emailing us at info (at) iconwheelchairs.com.

Over the last six months or so, we built a number of prototypes, and reached a final design that was tested using the RESNA protocols in early spring. We took that design (and a working prototype) to our engineering partner, Multimatic, and started putting everything into CAD and writing some virtual testing software to let us run some Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tests, to optimize the design and test things that went above and beyond the RESNA protocols.

So we’ve spent the last few months testing, engineering, re-testing and re-engineering to reduce weight, reduce cost and improve durability.

At this stage we want to share a little bit of the work to show you some of the reasons why we truly believe that this product is going to take things to a new level in the wheelchair world.

The three things that we want to share are

1) an image of the final design,
    2) a “package study” that we did to determine ranges, and
    3) some of the FEA testing that we did.

1 – Image:

Attachment 41284

The only real aesthetic difference between this final design and the prototypes that we built is the upswept front wing – this was to provide a grab-point for floor to chair transfers, and to help with the leg splaying/frogging issue.

There are a bunch of improvement that aren’t obvious in the photos, including some pretty dramatic weight reductions.

2 – Package study

This is an image from a package study that we did to make sure that all of our ranges worked:

Attachment 41286

As you can see, this slide show the study parameters set for a 540 wheel with a 4” caster. We also ran it using every combination of 3, 4, and 5” casters with 22, 24, 25, and 26” rear wheels. This study shows the seat height and angle combinations as well as back angle, and it’s not as obvious because the images are all overlaid, but this also looks at COG ranges as well.

Finally, here are some images of some of the FEA that we ran on the Icon. This is in addition to real world testing that we did, and was very, very informative – it not only let us see how we could do things better, but some of the earlier studies we did really showed us where the competition is going wrong.

Attachment 41287

We tested and will continue to test in the real world to the RESNA standards, but with the FEA that we have available to us, we went beyond what’s called out in the RESNA standards – as an example, we did additional virtual tests where we “dropped” the chair onto its left side (front and back wheels), only front wheels, and only one front wheel.

Attachment 41288

We looked at the backrest tubes, because we know a lot of people use them to reposition. And as forces don’t always get applied evenly, we ran a test that put forces on both tubes together and then we ran another test where force was applied to each tube individually.

Attachment 41289

The FEA let us take a look at the dramatic difference that materials make – in the CAD/FEA we can change the materials from 6061-T6 to 6061-T4 aluminum, go from heat treated to not heat treated, make the tubes titanium or various 7000 series aluminums.

We looked at the “plastic strain” that happens when materials see forces applied to them and used this information to make highly informed decisions about where we could take material away and where we needed to leave it.

The combination of real world test validation and the additional information that we’ve given ourselves using FEA is giving us a really high level of confidence in the design and the material selections we’ve made, from both a performance and durability point of view.

We’re excited about the next few months and look forward to seeing some of our chairs where they belong – under your butts.

Great news!! I just got a new chair 9 months ago, so I'm not in the market now, but I'll be watching this forum for user reviews. When will your website be up again? Will you be pursuing a VA vendorship?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

We're working on the website right now, so it's just down temporarily while we make some changes, and add content.

We're for sure going to try to get things going with the VA - we have a veteran on board at Icon who will be in charge of our VA relationship - Staff Sgt. (ret.) Kristine Bacharach.

She and I will be going to the PVA games next month in Pittsburgh with one of the prototypes, and hopefully doing some visits to VA facilities in the area also.

<sigh> I had such hope for this one.

Honesty mode ON.

All those nuts and bolts will be a maintenance nightmare. Seems like something a rich person would buy and use a couple times, but probably not because its not even esthetically pleasing. I think you guys have been too close to it for too long. Impressive idea, I bet it performs awesome but not very practical for the everyday user (and really, who isn't?) A seat sling and cushion offers enough suspension for all the wheelchair users I know, but I don't know anybody that launches off of loading docks.

You guys will no doubt sell a few if the price is right, most likely to new-SCIs that need adjustability following their stint in rehab. And for those I can foresee it being their one and only wheelchair for life because they will learn to love it. I would get alot of loaners out to rehab centers for use, along with some plane tickets for therapists to attend information junkets in the Carribean (like Quickie does to brainwash DMEs).

Too bad about the death of Marvel. I would've bought one due to the cool factor alone if the footrest wing was wide enough.

Kids - don't believe the hype, anything with this many fasteners will drive you nuts. Oh and have fun keeping all those nooks and crannies clean.

What is the reason to have your forks tubes fixed to the front frame with bolts?
    I liked more the front of the first prototype.
    Good luck with your new chair.

Great news, guys! Congratulations! Exciting times, indeed. It won't be for every one, but for those of us who have drunk the Baggs/Adams Kool-Aid and have experienced the rolling bliss of a properly setup M1, today is a good day.

I'll leave the 'does this wheelchair make my butt look fat' concerns to others. Pride before the fall, as they say.

Cheers,
    Dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Very excessive for my taste! Beauty is in simplicity ..... !

Good sales!

Congratulations and good luck, JeffAdams! I have some understanding of the balls and drive it takes to launch a new business. I applaud your enterprise. I look forward to seeing your progress and learning more about your product(s).

Consumers need choices, the more the merrier.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

@toto - they let us adjust the "footprint" at the front - we looked at the debate about the Q7 castor wheel settings and re-designed ours to give people the option to pick and choose how wide or narrow to set it - they can even be adjusted all the way to the front (eg. in front of the footrest).

They also give people the ability to make big changes to front or rear wheel size, or even tire size without messing about with multiple holes in the fork or spacers etc.

@tooley - for sure the first time folks will benefit from the adjustability, but I personally know a lot of people in their second and third chairs who are still unhappy about the fit. The last chair that I bought before we started making them is a good example of this - I had an hour long conversation with the vendor about the width of my chair - he wanted to have it built a full inch wider than what I was requesting - I've been using a wheelchair since 1979, I built my own racing chairs for years, and had been working in the industry in various positions for about 15 years, and I spent an hour of my life negotiating for a measurement that I was pretty damn sure about, having sat in chairs with that measurement not changing for about two decades.

I've watched endless debates between people who use chairs, people who prescribe chairs, and people who sell chairs, and at the end of the day, and after handwringing and post-graduate level study of order forms and angles and so on, there's always a "hold your breath" moment when the order form gets submitted, no matter how many chairs someone has previously ordered.

It's not just about the measurements either - it's the geometry of the chair - I was just talking to someone who bought a new kitchen table (and spent about the same amount of money on it as they would have for a new wheelchair), then started having some skin issues and had to change their cushion for a higher profile one....and then couldn't fit under their brand new kitchen table....so now they're either going to get a new chair that is 1" lower or a new kitchen table.

Great insight, Jeff, on the need for long-term adjustability - you really got me thinking!! I'm in my first chair (adjustable) and have been planning ahead for a minimally adjustable chair next time around - my mindset is now subject to change.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>