Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a huge burden

I don't know about AZ, but in OR you can't go into assisted living unless you can do the majority of your ADL's independently. If I chose not to live in a community setting, I'd have to live in a nursing home (GACK!) I agree with others that it's time to strike out on your own. I'm in the process of separating from my husband so I'll soon be without my "natural support", and will have to rely on paid caregivers. Scary? Sorta. But honestly? I'd rather stay all night in my chair once in a blue moon than continue feeling like I'm ruining someone's life by asking for their help. (this is my opinion for myself)

I called my insurance about assisted living places, my secondary insurance which is state insurance. I'll have to go check them out next week. I've lived in my own house, the guesthouse, by myself for so long it's going to be really weird to have to share space with someone all the time. Plus I have a huge entertainment center with a big-screen TV and a full stereo. Oh well, no more being spoiled for me, plus I'm on my moms really good insurance through the Mayo clinic and I'll lose that.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

You might want to think it over, Ryan. Losing great private insurance would make me hesitate; it leaves you at the mercy of politicians who are cutting state Medicaid insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I called my insurance about assisted living places, my secondary insurance which is state insurance. I'll have to go check them out next week. I've lived in my own house, the guesthouse, by myself for so long it's going to be really weird to have to share space with someone all the time. Plus I have a huge entertainment center with a big-screen TV and a full stereo. Oh well, no more being spoiled for me, plus I'm on my moms really good insurance through the Mayo clinic and I'll lose that.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

sorry your Birthday sucked. these are such hard times, I bet you wouldnt have a hard time finding better caregivers, though it just was a matter of bad luck that day.
    Kids need sewing up now and then, and usually they bleed at about the worst times, like when the car is broke down or three seconds after I said stop doing that you'll break your stitchers open!

It is hurts my heart to think how sad you must feel. I feel bad for your mom too. Iv been bone tired and half wrung out with sleep deprivation, and just one shit thing on top of another trying to care for my son when he was sick and I dont remember ever thinking or feeling he was a burden. sometimes everyone says things they regret at one time or another though.

I love the Idea of a group type housing, and pooled resorces.

It seems like a good thing living in the guest house, and it would actually be a shame to have to move. does your mom want you to move, or just not rely on her at all?
    I hope you can all work this out.

If it makes you feel better, I've been told that numerous times.

Ugh ... a human being that does that does not belong in humankind. Sorry kkmay.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Why not hire an agency that has 24 hour on call? If someone calls out, they have to supply back up.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Sorry your birthday sucked, out of all the days to tell a guy that. Good luck figuring out something that will work better for you.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    You might want to think it over, Ryan. Losing great private insurance would make me hesitate; it leaves you at the mercy of politicians who are cutting state Medicaid insurance.
    Very good point. When COBRA ran out and we lost private insurance I carried through my job it was scarey.
    Now with all of the turmoil of medicaid and medicare it is worrisome.

the medicaid medicare thing is really affecting my coverage. all of a sudden there are these effen fee's ive never had. Iv had no debts and no bad credit, and now that is all changed, and collection is harrassing me. surprise.

Im glad I didnt send off my surplus supplies, because I cant get them paid for now.