Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bard Leg Bags Suck

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I wonder if the SP will continue to be latex-at least that is what I think it is.
    Thanks for the explanation KLD.
    As far as I know, if the SP is kinda a brown color they are latex, if clear it's silicone. I switched to the silicone ones and get a lot less gunk around the stoma. The SP is still pretty flexible with the silicone ones.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

Unhappy Bard Leg Bags Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    This should probably move to Equipment but for now.. Are you talking about the extension tubing some dealers attach or include with the bag? If so start ordering your bags seperately and then order the latex extension tubing seperately. This tubing can be cut to size with regular scissors and one end fits about any bag made.
    Sue,
    I thought about that cutting my own latex tubing. I need to find a vendor.
    Aggie Mom 2007

The last order we had clear tube instead of the more flexible light tan color ones. Is this what you are talking about?
    We used to get the bags and order the connecting tube (?) separate. It seemed easier to get them together. I thought maybe there was a mix up when I saw these.
    Yes,
    What was Bard thinking when they changed to a plastic non-flexible tubing.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many medical product companies are eliminating latex in their products due to demand for this from the medical market-place. Latex allergy is a serious problem for both health care workers and those with frequent contact with latex products, esp. with exposure to mucous membranes (catheters, externals, latex gloves, etc.). Those with SCI are in the top 3 risk groups for acquiring latex allergy (along with those with SB and CP). I suspect this is why Bard had made the change.

We stopped using Bard leg bags where I work about 10 years ago due to this issue. We now use Hollister, which we selected specifically because their extension tubing was the softest and stretchiest we could find in a latex free leg bag system.

I have been notified that Sierra is discontinuing their latex leg bags soon. As far as I know, Urocare and Alpine (Coloplast) are still going to continue to offer latex bags, but even they may be jeopardy.

(KLD)
    SCI KD,
    Bard made a big error in judgement when they changed this product. I have a latex allergy and I don't see why the caregivers like myself wear gloves.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Response from Bard

Quote Originally Posted by jhorn4012 View Post
    SCI KD,
    Bard made a big error in judgement when they changed this product. I have a latex allergy and I don't see why the caregivers like myself wear gloves.
    I received quite a few emails from Bard. Lastest was from field quality assurance. Bard wanted a detailed explanation of why their product non-latex extension tube wasn't working
    and causing one client to reconsider using Bard products.
    Aggie Mom 2007

I just looked at these. Is the bag opaque? On the Bard we order there is a "flip flow" to empty it so urine just not spill out.
    How do you do it with this bag? Are you using it with a SP?
    Sorry for the slow reply.

define opaque?

its semi-clear plastic. white. i use condom drainage but i never experience back pressure, unless its too full. flip valve, easy to flip open and close for a quad.