Thread: Have we any state college graduates among us?

Blog Entries

Have we any state college graduates among us?

I figure I might truncate my research by going straight to the source.

What is it that makes a school a state school? Is it just a matter of taxpayer funding versus private funding? But state schools still charge tuition, and private schools still get state aid, no? Or is it only that some private college students are subsidized with federal grants?

How much of a financial advantage was it to attend an in-state public college, in terms of both tuition and aid/grants awarded? How would you describe any differences, perhaps in areas like funding for research, professor and TA salaries, research versus teaching focus, campus life, anything else…?

Are all state colleges also universities with graduate programs?

I went to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater...a state school. While I cannot speak about the funding...I can tell you that when I was attending...tuition was at least $5,000 lower than my friend's tuition (she went to a private school). I did not get much financial aid, but I did become a resident assistant which paid for room and board.

I loved my school...I got a great education...and because we were a smaller state school, we had smaller class sizes so we did not deal with TAs...I got all I needed from the actual instructor. I did not miss out on anything "campus life" oriented...it was a great experience for me.

And...finally...my school had graduate programs in many fields...including business and computer science...with some courses of study which can be held online.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I went to the College of William & Mary and George Mason University, which are both part of the Virginia state system.

State schools do charge tuition, but it is significantly lower than private school tuition. State schools have a two tiered system; students from out of state pay more than state residents. Every state has its own rules about how to get state residency, but it's usually very difficult to get residency while attending the school.

State schools can be junior colleges (granting 2 year associate's degrees), colleges (granting 4 year bachelor's degrees) or universities (granting bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees).

State school tuition is subsidized (but not eliminated) by state taxes, and in many states the school administration is determined by the state legislature or by general ballot.

When I went to W&M, my tuition was almost negligible, but that was 30 years ago, and the funding picture has changed considerably.

My 3 children went to, respectively, a private school, a state school as an out-of-state student, and a state school as an in-state student. They received no aid. They were charged (approximately) $24,000/semester for the private school student, $18,000/semester for the out-of-state state student, and $9,000/semester for the in-state state student.

Prestige/research/etc can be across the board for state schools. In many state systems there are very prestigious schools as well as schools that are less well regarded. Do a search for "public Ivies" to get information on the best regarded public universities.

I'm not familiar with the financial aid implications of public versus private versus for profit schools, so I won't comment on that part of your question.

I went to a private university where the tuition was close to $30,000 per year, as opposed to the state schools, which were a tiny fraction of that. The state universities in my state do offer graduate degrees as well as undergraduate.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post

How much of a financial advantage was it to attend an in-state public college, in terms of both tuition and aid/grants awarded? How would you describe any differences, perhaps in areas like funding for research, professor and TA salaries, research versus teaching focus, campus life, anything else…?
    I went to a state school, back in the 1970s. At the time it was much less expensive. I don't remember getting any financial aid, either merit or need based (and my parents weren't well off, my dad was a teacher, and my mom worked part time as a seamstress).

I got a great education, and have nothing against state schools.

On the other hand all 4 of my kids went to private schools. They have all received enough scholarship money from the private schools to make the cost comparable (or even better in some cases) that at a state school. And my daughters are both going into fields requiring grad school (PT and OT). The school they are going to has integrated programs that will get them done w/ at least a year less than if they were to get a BS first, and then go on the grad school. None of our state schools have these programs.

Oh, and as far as campus life, I would say that it is similar to that of friends who went to state schools.

Are all state colleges also universities with graduate programs?
    Not necessarily. Some are, some as just a basic 4 year school.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

The difference is how the college, university, or university system is chartered.
    Daniel

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

In CA we have three levels of higher education state-run and funded programs.

The first are the community colleges, which offer 2 year (AD) degrees and some certificate programs. Many people attend these schools for their first two years of college, complete their general education requirements, and transfer to either CSU or UC system schools to do their upper division work for their bachelors degree. Fees at these schools are the lowest of the three systems as well.

The second tier is the state university system (CSU, formerly state college system before the 1970s), of which we have 23 campuses. They offer bachelors and masters degrees in a wide variety of fields. Historically, this system started out as "normal" schools (teachers' colleges). Technically, there is no tuition at CSU schools, instead you pay "fees" for attendance, and the schools are heavily subsidized by the state.

The University of California (UC) system has a more stringent admission criteria, is more expensive (including tuition), and for the most part is the only state system allowed to offer doctoral degrees (with a few exceptions). There is a heavier emphasis on research in these schools as well. There are 10 UC campuses in the state.

California also have a huge number of private colleges and universities, some of which are for-profit (such as National University or the University of Phoenix), some that are religious or religious affiliated, and others that are heavily endowed. All of these schools are much more expensive than the state schools above.

(KLD)