Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evan was denied a scholarship...OMG

For the record HW...

First of all, I haven't changed my profile in quite sometime. I am no longer a student. I graduated in 2005 but never thought to changed my occupation. And so you know, I paid my own way through school. My student loan payment is due every 15th.

Working, for myself is difficult at times. Being a quad, I have a hard time finding quality help, esp. for my morning routine. It's hard to work consistently when I can't get out of bed on my own.

My response to this thread was pretty simple. I don't like when people act like they don't want any sympathy or special treatment due to his/her disability but as soon as something doesn't go his/her way the "Gimp Card" comes out.
    Today is one day closer to The Cure

Quote Originally Posted by keelee View Post
    Great, more people thinking education is evil. It's why other countries laugh at us and the US is falling fast in my opinion. Anyway I worked full time through undergrad (either working multiple part time jobs or one full time job) and will be starting my full time job again in November. Just got out of the hospital in June and despite that started law school on an academic scholarship in August. So despite being a para I work and study. You on the other hand have yet to grasp the English language, logic and a vast array of other basic concepts, and I would recommend you go get some kind of education. You know that thing those evil taxes pay for!
    Staying in school forever is not an occupation.If one can't complete undergrad courses in 5 yrs being in class 15 or so hrs per week,how are they going to work 40+ hours per week? People who don't pay taxes on income are the ones wanting more taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHarn3 View Post
    For the record HW...

First of all, I haven't changed my profile in quite sometime. I am no longer a student. I graduated in 2005 but never thought to changed my occupation. And so you know, I paid my own way through school. My student loan payment is due every 15th.

Working, for myself is difficult at times. Being a quad, I have a hard time finding quality help, esp. for my morning routine. It's hard to work consistently when I can't get out of bed on my own.

My response to this thread was pretty simple. I don't like when people act like they don't want any sympathy or special treatment due to his/her disability but as soon as something doesn't go his/her way the "Gimp Card" comes out.
    Not sure what type work you do but understand your plight regarding finding help if you are paying out of pocket.Investigate Ticket to Work with your DVR and SSA office.

Quote Originally Posted by keelee View Post
    Great, more people thinking education is evil. It's why other countries laugh at us and the US is falling fast in my opinion. Anyway I worked full time through undergrad (either working multiple part time jobs or one full time job) and will be starting my full time job again in November. Just got out of the hospital in June and despite that started law school on an academic scholarship in August. So despite being a para I work and study. You on the other hand have yet to grasp the English language, logic and a vast array of other basic concepts, and I would recommend you go get some kind of education. You know that thing those evil taxes pay for!
    Been SCI almost 43 yrs. Worked full time for 36 yrs since graduating from college. I don't need a PHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Although, this issue is over, I must say that sometimes our need to judge a scenario from afar can cloud our common sense or savoir-faire in a particular person's situation.

I don't think Evan's mother did wrong in writing an elected official nor do I think she made an error in saying Evan cannot work. Here's why: Any rational elected official would realize she means that her son as a quadriplegic cannot wait tables or work in retail to pay his way through college. She wasn't implying he is useless and cannot work at all as fighting for him to go to college would make absolutely no sense if he doesn't plan to use the degree professionally.
    Todd has it right and even if it is a job her son could do,he faces an impaired employer acceptance due to his disability.There are fewer people in chairs working today than before the ADA was passed?I wonder how much hell would be raised if there were fewer women or African Americans gainfully employed today than in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    Been SCI almost 43 yrs. Worked full time for 36 yrs since graduating from college. I don't need a PHD.
    Although, you and I disagree on a lot, I give my hat off to anyone who did or does that.

"There are fewer people in chairs working today than before the ADA was passed"

I'd question those stats, and even if true, you need to account for the number of very severely disabled alive today because of advanced medical treatments. And other factors such as aging. And the economy. And the fact that for some, even working full-time w/insurance doesn't provide enough $$$ for their medical care.

I worked full-time while I was doing doctoral course work (those were some long days) and I don't feel the need to be so judgemental.

If you want to see more disabled people working full time, the laws about income limits to qualify for gov't assistance with home health care, etc need to be changed.

The disabled community is the only 'minority' that has so many health-care costs.

The poop will really hit the propellor when the costs of chronic obesity finally hit the health care system.

I almost forgot my biggest question...where do I get my 'gimp card'? Do I display it next to my HD parking placard?

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    I'd question those stats, and even if true, you need to account for the number of very severely disabled alive today because of advanced medical treatments.
    Interesting to note. For example, do they include people in vegetative states who live in homes in those statistics? I'm assuming those types of organizations consider those people alive and disabled.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    No,she is not complaining about people using govt services who happen to be citizens,but like most of us she resents illegals getting our hard earned tax dollars. The elderly and disabled are doing without because of Medicaid payments for illegitimate births and those of illegal aliens. No offense,but until you actually go to work and start paying an income tax,who are you to criticize Evan'sMom?
    Thank you handsome wheeler

Hi Evensmom, I'm glad you succeeded to get the scholarship. My husband was an illegal alien when we met and the 1st 5 yrs of marriage. Growing up in the midwest I didn't understand the ramifications of this.We never received public assistance, we both worked really hard paid taxes and he even bought our first home cash b4 he could legally live in it. Im proud of my hispanic family and my husbands past. Its hard for the avg person to understand the need to leave ones own country to survive (literally). I understand your instint to protect your son. And I hope when my daughters are old enough to hear you opinion they realize you are misinformed. Just think your son may fall in love with a lady in college that used thedream act or whose parents were fruit pickers.