Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evan was denied a scholarship...OMG

As a Mom I probably would have written a letter like that too, but agree with the others here about leaving out the last sentence and even the reasons for not sending a letter at all.
    You did a good job explaining how little people are actually left to live on. Many people don't understand how that works.
    It's fantastic he is keeping his grade average up along with going to PT and the other things you mentioned.
    There are a lot of good responses here, differing, yet good points.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Wow, I hope you get a positive response and that this was just someone who didn't actually read all that Evan has accomplished despite his challenges. By all means send the article to your newspaper, or call and do an interview with them, although the case stands on it's own merit and probably would be best presented without the impression of immigrant bashing (just saying...).
    Oh I don;t have a problem with immigrants if you are here legally. My hubbies family is from Germany and became US citizens. Thank you for your support.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Jody..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Evansmom: I am disheartened to read that Evan was denied a senatorial scholarship. He is however eligible for FREE tuition as of July 2011 at any Maryland community college.

I am very familiar for the Dream scholarships and will vote for them when they hit the ballot. There is tight criteria for eligibility including paying taxes and being a state resident for 3-4 years. I think you are misrepresenting the program.

Has Evan applied for Voc rehab or other scholarships? I would urge him to do so and see if he can appeal the senators decision. I hope you get a response from his office. I would urge you to contact your Federal congressman as well as federal Senators.

Did Evan submit an application to Swim with Mike? That is another option and many have had their tuition covered at 100%

Just some ideas and suggestions.
    Thank you for the information. We applied with our local Voc rehab over 2 years ago. We jumped through all the hoops and still are without funding from them. Evan was fine with the letter. He has a 4.0 GPA so I was not using his disability as a crutch. We have a long history of fighting the state for everything.

Blog Entries
    Okay , I am going to try to respond to everyone in one statement. I love this site because you get so many opinions. I am not politicaly correct, sorry. I don;t have a problem if you live in this country as a legal citizen. We tried voc rehab over 2 years ago and still nothing. Evan can not work at this time because he is foccused on his therapy and school. We have been fighting the state for everything. It took 2 years before they payed for a wheelchair for him. Yea I am bitter, he is not even able to get food stamps. (we applied) he was denied based on his income and the fact that he still lives at home. An unmarried woman gets pregnant and gets housing, food stamps and free med .coverage for herself and the baby. Sorry I told you I was not politically correct. But someone like Evan or the elderly get peanuts. The elderly who have worked hard their entire lives have to decide to pay for their meds or pay their gas and electric bill. Did you know the guy that hit Evan did not spend 1 day in jail. He was drag racing another car, no license or insurance. He did not even receive a ticket. HMMM bitter . He got off scott free. I hold the elected officials responsible for the decisions that they make. I am not angry at you guys on here but I have heard other mothers who have gone through the same BS with their state and get no help or equipment for their child. Sorry moms are like tigers dont mess with the cub. Oh I get a call yesterday from The Senators office yesterday afternoon. He is getting the scholarship. Amazing what a little e mail can do. They based their decision on his level of financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. I responded to them with the facts. He does not have time for extracurricular activities because he is foccused on therapy and his school work. Evan was not at all angry at my e mail. I think that those of us who are in need should get what they need . I used to be a tax payer. I want my taxes to pay for someone who deserves help not the many lazy low lifes out there who sponge off the state and don;t need it. Therefor, there is not enough funding for the ones who need the help. Again, yes I am angry. Thank you to all who have responded.

Glad He got it. Just keep doing what you do. He has a great Mom....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Glad He got it. Just keep doing what you do. He has a great Mom....
    Thank you so much !

You remind me of my mother when I was injured @ age 20. I'm now 35, married with 3 boys, have a great job in IT, and live a very happy and full life and I owe it all to her perseverance and boldness to overcome all obstacles during my newly injured years. Evan is lucky to have you as a mom.

Quote Originally Posted by evansmom View Post
    Thank you for the information. We applied with our local Voc rehab over 2 years ago. We jumped through all the hoops and still are without funding from them. Evan was fine with the letter. He has a 4.0 GPA so I was not using his disability as a crutch. We have a long history of fighting the state for everything.
    If VR has not replied/assisted yet, I would be going up the chain of command and filing a complaint. It took my son less than 6 months for an assessment and services.

Swim with Mike is a great option for many with SCI. http://swimwithmike.org/apply/
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by evansmom View Post
    Okay , I am going to try to respond to everyone in one statement. I love this site because you get so many opinions. I am not politicaly correct, sorry. I don;t have a problem if you live in this country as a legal citizen. We tried voc rehab over 2 years ago and still nothing. Evan can not work at this time because he is foccused on his therapy and school. We have been fighting the state for everything. It took 2 years before they payed for a wheelchair for him. Yea I am bitter, he is not even able to get food stamps. (we applied) he was denied based on his income and the fact that he still lives at home. An unmarried woman gets pregnant and gets housing, food stamps and free med .coverage for herself and the baby. Sorry I told you I was not politically correct. But someone like Evan or the elderly get peanuts. The elderly who have worked hard their entire lives have to decide to pay for their meds or pay their gas and electric bill. Did you know the guy that hit Evan did not spend 1 day in jail. He was drag racing another car, no license or insurance. He did not even receive a ticket. HMMM bitter . He got off scott free. I hold the elected officials responsible for the decisions that they make. I am not angry at you guys on here but I have heard other mothers who have gone through the same BS with their state and get no help or equipment for their child. Sorry moms are like tigers dont mess with the cub. Oh I get a call yesterday from The Senators office yesterday afternoon. He is getting the scholarship. Amazing what a little e mail can do. They based their decision on his level of financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities. I responded to them with the facts. He does not have time for extracurricular activities because he is foccused on therapy and his school work. Evan was not at all angry at my e mail. I think that those of us who are in need should get what they need . I used to be a tax payer. I want my taxes to pay for someone who deserves help not the many lazy low lifes out there who sponge off the state and don;t need it. Therefor, there is not enough funding for the ones who need the help. Again, yes I am angry. Thank you to all who have responded.
    You do have every right to be angry. I was not trying to be ugly. I was 21 when I had my accident and had an "over zealous" mom who embarrassed me many many times. She took over things that I did not want her to. So I was looking at this from a different point of view. Mom still embarrasses me even to the point I had to stop talking to her.

I am so envious of your and Evans relationship.

I am angry about the same things you are so we agree there about the sponges even down to handicap placards.....another disabled person and I were having this conversation just a couple of days ago too.

I do not envy your position as a mother at all as I don't know where I would find the strength you have.

I misunderstood he was denied based on his income...sorry.

I am really really glad to hear he got the scholarship and look forward to hearing great things from him.

Hang in there....sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention at all.

For me Vocational Rehab was a waste of time but if you have alot of time....I guess they can help with some equipment and college needs. I am more focused than VR was so all the appointments were useless. I got my second degree on my own because I was convinced by VR that business administration was the best one for me....It was useless and I hated it. I still could not find a job relevant to what I wanted to do.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown