Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Evan was denied a scholarship...OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    I suggest you both go to work! Going to school is not a job. We need more people paying their own way. Get up every morning and be at work at a set time and put in 40-50 hrs per week.Who knows,you may become one of those evil,rich persons Obama wants to pay taxes to support his base. Those that breed like dogs,fail to learn a job skill and depend on we working people for everything. Your 32 yr old student was being judgemental since he was criticizing a tax paying mom for in his opinion playing the gimp card something he has mastered.
    Great, more people thinking education is evil. It's why other countries laugh at us and the US is falling fast in my opinion. Anyway I worked full time through undergrad (either working multiple part time jobs or one full time job) and will be starting my full time job again in November. Just got out of the hospital in June and despite that started law school on an academic scholarship in August. So despite being a para I work and study. You on the other hand have yet to grasp the English language, logic and a vast array of other basic concepts, and I would recommend you go get some kind of education. You know that thing those evil taxes pay for!

evansmom,

Congrats to you and Evan. I think you did a great job advocating for your son and he sounds like a young man with great potential who will make some changes and shake up the status quo a lot.

I think you've set a great example/lesson for him re: advocacy. And I'm glad you were ready to take it to the media. You've shown him that disabled folks won't be heard until they speak out, and that 'fighting the good fight' gets you a lot farther than giving up. I can't begin to count the times I've been told that I couldn't or shouldn't attempt something because I'm disabled.

The disabled community stays pretty quiet while other groups of people (the LGBT community, ethnic minorities, etc ) have been and are very vocal about gaining acceptance, civil rights, equal opportunities etc). As well they should. And the disabled community needs to take a page from that book and speak out and advocate more.

I had to laugh at the term 'playing the gimp card'. How offensive and ridiculous. I've had a few people tell me I was getting preferential treatment in grad school or at work because I was disabled. Invariably they were the ones failing their classes or being passed over for raises.

I'd love to hear from Evan on this forum. The time-out/losing posts thing is easy to avoid...he could write his comments using word, then copy/paste them.

Very best wishes to you and Evan and I look forward to seeing his name in the news in a few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    You're right, FO.

This thread was began several months ago and the Evan's situation resolved. Evan's mom felt protective and passionate about her son and wrote the letter in a frustrated mood. Many of us have done similar things that we later regretted.
    Some agreed and some did not and had a reasonable discussion at that time.
    I'm not sure why this was resurrected.

I think I'm responsible for bringing the thread back up, but by honest mistake. It was only a few posts down on the Education forum I was reading and the last comment was made about a month or less before mine. Nevertheless apologies if this is something that isn't tolerated here.

I also think there are some good general points that can be brought out of this thread for discussion. The whole idea of "pulling the gimp card", a phrase I threw out rather carelessly that's opened up discussion. Also the idea of parents and other caretakers advocating for their children, and if so, where an appropriate line is drawn. I tried to make it clear in my response that Evan's mom clearly cares very much for her son, but perhaps allowing him to fight his own battles would, while harder, be more beneficial for him in the long run. Lots of the previous comments commended her as a mother, but I wanted to chime in as someone having an experience more closely related to her son, a para who is in college and facing a lot of difficulties with accessibility, accommodations and scholarships. Also, being hateful and practically racist in a professional letter while evoking work on behalf of the disabled... probably not a good idea. I don't want people who are representing the SCI community to portray themselves in such a way to important public figures. Perhaps a rant here or via e-mail to a friend or in person would have been a more appropriate way to handle her anger, allowing her to then sit down and compose a more appropriate e-mail? Many may disagree, but I think it's a good suggestion if the OP is to encounter an event like this in the future.

I'm sure glad you are here to fix the errors of our ways. We seem to be a group in need of direction.

Snarky eh? I've been trying to say how much positive is on this site and how much I've gained from it. Also how the various groups here can contribute to one another. Maybe it was too difficult for you to read, or too complicated of a concept, so that you just assumed I was here saying how horrible everything is and how I have the answers. Sorry you've taken it so personally (and rather immaturely). I'll let you get back to your black and white world where you have all the answers and no one else could ever contribute to your worldview.

Quote Originally Posted by keelee View Post
    ...will be starting my full time job again in November...
    Are you attending a part-time program?

mountain out of a teapot or tempest in a molehill or something

keelee,

There is no reference to race or ‘illegals’ in the text of the letter evansmom wrote to Senator De Grange. The comment “Maybe if he was an illegal he could get some help” is made in her post to the CC forum. You may find that offensive, however the fact is the comment does not appear in the letter. So, your statement indicating that evansmom “was hateful and practically racist in a professional letter” has no factual basis.

I am hopeful, however, that law school will help you learn to interpret what you read more accurately.

Voicing one’s opinion is a good thing. However, being able to do so in a logical and reasoned manner, without unnecessarily alienating or offending others is a requisite skill, both in the lofty academic heights of law school and in the humble world in which the rest of us proletarians reside.

You may find that your zeal and idealism will be most helpful and better warranted when you encounter flagrant abuse of HD parking, blocked ramps, buildings rendered inaccessible due to construction, or similar situations that interfere or prevent you from getting to classes, lectures and exams on time.

I wish you success and happiness in your career and life.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    I suggest you both go to work! Going to school is not a job. We need more people paying their own way. Get up every morning and be at work at a set time and put in 40-50 hrs per week.Who knows,you may become one of those evil,rich persons Obama wants to pay taxes to support his base. Those that breed like dogs,fail to learn a job skill and depend on we working people for everything. Your 32 yr old student was being judgemental since he was criticizing a tax paying mom for in his opinion playing the gimp card something he has mastered.
    Are we really going to play "lets suggest what someone else should do..." because if so, I've a couple of ripe suggestions for you buddy.

and wtf are you talking about, breed like dogs? fail to learn a job skill? If you think you're getting the raw end of the stick, figure it out in your own life, don't take it out on the few people trying to enrich their lives (and fucking job perspectives, genius) and gain higher education.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.