Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evan was denied a scholarship...OMG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Evan was denied a scholarship...OMG

Shame on you.
    Evan applied for a scholarship from our local senators office . Please read moms reply to the denial letter he received. Maybe if he was an illegal he could get some help... July 19,2011
    Dear Senator De Grange,
    My son Evan Cronhardt received a denial letter form your office for a Senatorial Scholarship based on his level of financial need, academic achievement and extracurricular activities.
    Evan receives a check form social security in the amount of 1,117.00 per month.They calculate his income for a 6 month period totaling 6,702.00. He then has to pay out of pocket 4,600.00 for the spend amount to meet the required income to maintain his medical coverage. That leaves him with an income of about 300.00 per month. He then pays for his food, prescription co pays, vitamins, gloves, bed pads and numerous personal items. Mom has lost her 50.000.00 a year income as a nurse because I care for Evan at home . Dad has been laid off for several months.
    As far as his academic achievement, Evan carries a 4.0 grade average. I think that is miraculous due to his circumstances.
    And as for extracurricular activities, Due to no fault of his own, Evan is paralyzed from the chest down and has no use of his hands.He was hit by a driver, speeding with no licence or insurance. He had just taken the exam to enter the AAPD when the accident occurred. Judge Paul Goetske is Evans mentor. He has there same level of Spinal Cord Injury as Evan. My son plans to go to law school then into politics to make changes in the law to benefit people like himself. He also attends Kennedy Krieger 3 xs a week for physical therapy and maintains a strict physical therapy program at home. In addition, he has numerous doctor visits , lab work and medical testing and he has maintained a 4.0 grade average which I think is absolutely phenomenal.
    Coming from an elected Government Official I think it is pretty sad when preference is given to an able bodied person who can go out and work for a living as opposed to a disabled person who can;t.

Thank You Very Much For Your Consideration,
    Mrs. Jean Cronhardt

Blog Entries
    Depending on the Senators reply back to me after he reads this letter I may just forward a copy of the denial letter and the communication between the Senator and myself to our local news paper. Again, another way our Government views the disabled. They get nothing.... Have you heard of the dream act????? Its a way for illegals to get out of state tuitition rates where if you are a US citizen you have to pay the full rate. They are going to make Simple come out of me and she is a crazy B---h. When she comes out I have no control. You know Cybil ? The crazy lady with the multiple personalities , I have one inside , I call her Simple. Oh they don;t want to mess with Simple.

Wow, I hope you get a positive response and that this was just someone who didn't actually read all that Evan has accomplished despite his challenges. By all means send the article to your newspaper, or call and do an interview with them, although the case stands on it's own merit and probably would be best presented without the impression of immigrant bashing (just saying...).

Blog Entries

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Wow, I hope you get a positive response and that this was just someone who didn't actually read all that Evan has accomplished despite his challenges. By all means send the article to your newspaper, or call and do an interview with them, although the case stands on it's own merit and probably would be best presented without the impression of immigrant bashing (just saying...).
    Oh I don;t have a problem with immigrants if you are here legally. My hubbies family is from Germany and became US citizens. Thank you for your support.

good response to big dissapointment.

Evansmom: I am disheartened to read that Evan was denied a senatorial scholarship. He is however eligible for FREE tuition as of July 2011 at any Maryland community college.

I am very familiar for the Dream scholarships and will vote for them when they hit the ballot. There is tight criteria for eligibility including paying taxes and being a state resident for 3-4 years. I think you are misrepresenting the program.

Has Evan applied for Voc rehab or other scholarships? I would urge him to do so and see if he can appeal the senators decision. I hope you get a response from his office. I would urge you to contact your Federal congressman as well as federal Senators.

Did Evan submit an application to Swim with Mike? That is another option and many have had their tuition covered at 100%

Just some ideas and suggestions.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Evansmom: I am disheartened to read that Evan was denied a senatorial scholarship. He is however eligible for FREE tuition as of July 2011 at any Maryland community college.

I am very familiar for the Dream scholarships and will vote for them when they hit the ballot. There is tight criteria for eligibility including paying taxes and being a state resident for 3-4 years. I think you are misrepresenting the program.

Has Evan applied for Voc rehab or other scholarships? I would urge him to do so and see if he can appeal the senators decision. I hope you get a response from his office. I would urge you to contact your Federal congressman as well as federal Senators.

Did Evan submit an application to Swim with Mike? That is another option and many have had their tuition covered at 100%

Just some ideas and suggestions.
    Thank you for the information. We applied with our local Voc rehab over 2 years ago. We jumped through all the hoops and still are without funding from them. Evan was fine with the letter. He has a 4.0 GPA so I was not using his disability as a crutch. We have a long history of fighting the state for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by evansmom View Post
    Thank you for the information. We applied with our local Voc rehab over 2 years ago. We jumped through all the hoops and still are without funding from them. Evan was fine with the letter. He has a 4.0 GPA so I was not using his disability as a crutch. We have a long history of fighting the state for everything.
    If VR has not replied/assisted yet, I would be going up the chain of command and filing a complaint. It took my son less than 6 months for an assessment and services.

Swim with Mike is a great option for many with SCI. http://swimwithmike.org/apply/
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    If VR has not replied/assisted yet, I would be going up the chain of command and filing a complaint. It took my son less than 6 months for an assessment and services.

Swim with Mike is a great option for many with SCI. http://swimwithmike.org/apply/
    Where I'm from (NC) and I suspect other places. It really depends on who you talk to. I tried to get into contact with VR when I was doing undergrad, but eventually I gave up because I couldn't get anyone on the phone most of the time, and when I did they would never call me back.

Then when I got into med school I figured they were the only way I'd have a shot at getting some of the equipment I would need. When I finally did get a meeting with one lady, she was super nice and stumbled over herself giving me money for tuition, living expenses, books, supplies, computer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by evansmom View Post
    Quelle surprise!