Thread: Only too comprehensible (based on past experience with this man)

Blog Entries

Only too comprehensible (based on past experience with this man)

So I'm transitioning back to working at the office. And only the State's ADA coordinator would require that I bother my doctor for this letter:

Because of her incomplete tetraplegia, Ms. --- uses a wheelchair that prevents her from functioning at a standard computer desk. Therefore, I recommend she use a keyboard tray suspended to be able to rest on the bar across the front of her wheelchair, which measures 32 inches in height.

Really? I don't think that is legal under the ADA!!! I don't believe you can be required to provide a doctor's letter to request or obtain a reasonable accommodation like this. I would be talking at an advocate from your local ILC, and also the Dept. of Labor.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've learned to pick my battles with them. I just hate to bother my doctor. Because certainly neither I nor any observer would know what I need, but only my doctor – who dedicates her life to office ergonomics, dabbling in spinal cord medicine the side.

And by all means, CYA to justify the $78 expenditure, but certainly there was no cause for concern years ago when I first started using a wheelchair (manual, where I needed two hands) and your answer to my getting out the two ton bathroom door was to wait for someone to help me. That made me feel totally safe in case of fire, and was infinitely practical when I worked later hours. (I did fight for a that one and got door openers installed.)