Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower ideas?

Shower ideas?

Hello. Anybody ever built a roll in shower using interior materials other than tile, stone or a prefabbed stall? I had read on another site a long time back of some kind of polymer/ some different type of material that was used to create water proof shell. It was very low maintenance.

Really appreciate any ideas.

Brent

You are probably thinking of Corian or one of the other solid surface countertop materials. I have considered using that on wall myself. I didn't do a roll in the first time because the special prefab units is horribly expensive and I hate taking care of ceramic tile grout.

Counter top material is durable, attractive and is available in large sheets. Only the corners will need sealing and you can easily recaulk that every couple years if need. Many of them are available in 1/4 thickness which you can glue over a backer to keep cost down. Years ago I built an enclosure with plain old formica (~ $1.50 sq. ft. today). It lasted over 20 years.

Another plus of the Corian over plywood method is that you can fasten bars anywhere. It's difficult to back up fiberglass/plastic molded walls adequately for serious loads.

I would buy a commercial base though. Site fabricated bases are too prone to leak. A good tile person can do it, but then your into grout. My preference would be a Kohler enamel on cast iron shower base but I don't think they make a roll in style.

Thanks MSspouse. That's a great idea. I have a tiled shower. I was just wondering if anyone might have any experience with a coating to apply over the tile to cut down on the cleaning and sealing of the gout. I had thought of something like rhino liner to paint over the wall tile. Just wondered if anybody had tried anything like this.

Appreciate your suggestion.

Rihno liner is a product used to coat truck beds.

I've seen showers coved in Formica or that cheep tub surround paneling that lasts about ten years. Its called anatiby, not sure how to spell that. There is also FRP. FRP is a plastic like sheets used commercially around kitchen and bathroom walls.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Blog Entries
    My first one was built buy a guy who made the base out of wood and then had it coated with fiberglass. The wall surfaces were a laminate. It was still good after 20 years when we moved.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Two types of paint materials come to mind; sailboat paint and swimming pool paint. Used sailboat paint on exterior wood siding on our beach cottage, last forever. Swimming pool paint mixed with sand helps with traction on the wet/dry floor.

Thank you for your ideas. I had thought of pool paint but wasn't sure how well that it would adhere to the tile. I'll look into all of these.

Apreciate it.

Appreciate.

Our tile guy is using a foam material under the tile. Not sure if it goes under, I assume it does, the dry pack or above. I'm just thrilled the same tile is available to turn the one step in shower into a roll in. Oh, and and shelf, bench, etc., make it a solid one piece of granite, marble or corian. Our other place has held up very well except the tile on the corner bench. They now do make a metal bench to use as a base for those intent on tiled benches.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.