Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belittled for parking in a hc spot

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatayka View Post
    I was belittled for parking in a hc spot
    My husband and I both served in the Army. I am ab but my husband has a L4 sci and bilateral akas (above knee amputations) received on our last deployment. My husband had an appointment at the hospital and the drop off zone was in use. I parked in a hc spot and let my husband out of the van. I walked him into his appointment, it was right inside and the reason why I wanted to use the drop off zone. I walked back out to the van and was yelled at by a man in a wheelchair. When I explained that my husband was in a wheelchair and I had just dropped him off, he scoffed at me and said you are still in a hc spot, then rolled away. I felt bad, but what else am I supposed to do?

If I am faced with something like this again how should I handle it?

Thank you.
    Thank you for your service to our country, both of you. If there is a next time tell them that you husband takes all the complaints in the family and that if they will go inside and tell him that would be great...Tell them you will have no trouble finding him he is the guy that lost most of both his legs in service to this country so you could bitch at his wife.... If it did happen again and you said anything close to this I would give anything to be there...

Great response DJ!

DJ haha me2
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Thank you for your service to our country, both of you. If there is a next time tell them that you husband takes all the complaints in the family and that if they will go inside and tell him that would be great...Tell them you will have no trouble finding him he is the guy that lost most of both his legs in service to this country so you could bitch at his wife.... If it did happen again and you said anything close to this I would give anything to be there...
    Love it!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Sometimes us gimps get angrrrrrry when we shouldn't.

We're just used to getting screwed somehow.

Lord, forgive me for the cars I've tore up purposely to get into my van because they were over the lines......

Blog Entries
    I love scraping my push rims along someone's door so that I can get to the end of my ramp
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The best is when you pull in to a spot... and notice the old ladies that sit in their car... just waiting for you to get out... so they can say something.
    Sometimes I wait them out til they rap on my window: "Excuse me, this is a handicapped parking space." Ugh. "Yes, and this is a wheelchair."
    Busybodies. I would never say anything to someone parked in a wheelchair spot. What if they had MS or something that tires them out.... and we just don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatayka View Post
    I was belittled for parking in a hc spot
    My husband and I both served in the Army. I am ab but my husband has a L4 sci and bilateral akas (above knee amputations) received on our last deployment. My husband had an appointment at the hospital and the drop off zone was in use. I parked in a hc spot and let my husband out of the van. I walked him into his appointment, it was right inside and the reason why I wanted to use the drop off zone. I walked back out to the van and was yelled at by a man in a wheelchair. When I explained that my husband was in a wheelchair and I had just dropped him off, he scoffed at me and said you are still in a hc spot, then rolled away. I felt bad, but what else am I supposed to do?

If I am faced with something like this again how should I handle it?

Thank you.
    First off, thank you and your husband for your service.

You never mentioned if you had a placard, or handicapped tags. No offense, but if you didn't have either, you shouldn't have parked there at all and under those circumstances I can certainly understand why someone would have said something to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    The best is when you pull in to a spot... and notice the old ladies that sit in their car... just waiting for you to get out... so they can say something.
    Sometimes I wait them out til they rap on my window: "Excuse me, this is a handicapped parking space." Ugh. "Yes, and this is a wheelchair."
    Busybodies. I would never say anything to someone parked in a wheelchair spot. What if they had MS or something that tires them out.... and we just don't know?
    Those types are the best, if I'm in no rush, I'll diddle fart around in my vehicle for a few minutes just to make them wait. lol It seems as though a lot of older folks like to think those spots are for them only and they love it when an opportunity comes around for them to pounce on a younger person who parks in those spots, even if they are legally parked there.