Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting in and being in the pool?

getting in and being in the pool?

C5/6 Complete. I am going to the lake this weekend and would like to get in the community pool while there. There is not a lift or anyway to transfer directly into the pool, but there are four reasonable steps into the shallow end. Should I transfer to my manual and go down the steps? I'll have two strong guys there to help.

Also, what size weights should I use on my ankles? What kind of floating device do you feel most comfortable using? How can i keep myself from going forward face first into the water constantly?

It would mean the world to me if I can participate with my family and son this weekend.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Blog Entries
    my c5/6 son puts a long slightly oversized noodle snug around his back under his arms. he pushes down on the loose ends in front of him to keep his face out of the water. any small ankle weights keep his feet down. he scares the hell out of me but he prefers the deep end where his feet never drag. he swims backwards and even wins the occasional race.

i am going to get yelled at but, if i had 2 strong guys i would have them carry you into the pool. one from behind through your armpits grabbing your forearms. another in front grabbing both knees together.

have fun and swim with a buddy.

I am a para, so I don't know if there is a difference. I just use one of the pool noodles, it is sufficient. I was in the pool this week, for a kayak clinic (they make sure you can get out of the kayak if it goes over in a pool, before they advance to outdoors) and realized that a life jacket is too much for me in the pool .... it keeps tipping me backwards to float on my back (which is exactly what they are designed to do). It was very difficult to stay upright, and impossible to float on my stomach. Weights might have helped.

The reason I mention a life jacket, is a lot of town pools around here won't let you use any float device other that an official pfd (life jacket).
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

When I take Chad in our neighborhood pool (he is C4/5, nothing below the shoulders), I put him in his manual chair, bump the chair down the stairs (with HELP, at least me + 2 other people) and then I just float him out of the chair and hold onto him with noodles wedged under and around him; I just improvise every time. Getting out is harder than getting in, be warned! But with 2 burly guys, you will be fine. Just remember that a wet quad is a SLIPPERY quad!!!

One time I put a lifejacket on him, the kind where the head cannot tilt back - the type meant for surviving in water for a long time. That was in a lake, and then I put a noodle under his legs, and I pulled him all over the lake, as I am a very strong swimmer. That was a really fun day.

Sometimes, in the pool, I put him in a floaty chair (see photo) - but I am always within a very close reach. In the photo, the PCA who was with us that day ducked quickly out of the photo so that it would look like he was swimming alone, just to be funny.

I have never heard of or thought of ankle weights, but now that I think of it, it is kinda hard to keep ahold of him with his legs floating up all the time. But I'd be too paranoid about him sinking I think!

Don't forget sunscreen!!! (sorry that's the mother in me coming out )

do you have a good arm function? If you do, here is what works for me, first position the lounge chair feet first to the pool like a foot away, transfer onto it, put on a life vest ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Ad...-Vest/16487727 i have almost the same as this ), sit or lay down, hold on to the lounge chair while one person pushes the lounge chair onto the pool, once you half way in the water you slide right in, some one in the pool can assist you so you wont end up face in the water, if you cant balance your self in the water just get some flotation toy to hold on to, getting out is the same way, put the lounge chair half way or so in the pool, lay down and hold on while some one will drag you out. "> "> I float all day. good luck and enjoy.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Should I be concerned of anything? Blood pressure? I haven't been in the standing position in a few years. Pressure soar? It's quite small except for the depth, W=0.5cm, L=0.5cm, D=4cm. It is currently packed with gauze and covered with a 4x4.

Everyone's out on the boat, I'm sitting here thinking of everything that could go wrong because I'm nervous. My brother is a firefighter so that helps ease my mind a bit.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I wouldn't swim in a lake with an open pressure sore unless it had a waterproof covering.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blood pressure should be fine, it may fluctuate a little getting in and out, just have someone aware that you BP could bottom out (probably won't, but just in case) so to put your feet above your heart if so. With your brother though, you should be fine.

But.... didn't know you have a pressure sore. You shouldn't be in the water with a sore - both from a hygiene for others perspective and a healing perspective. Can you put a totally waterproof bandage over the whole thing? If not, I wouldn't go in.

its a salt water pool. no on the water proof bandage.

My Myspace

You said the whole thing is covered w/ a 4X4, right?

What about a tegaderm over that?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005