Thread: Help for pains!!!

Help for pains!!!

My back operation first time in 1996(in pre sakral.) My middle disc weighed to my spinal cord. I wait a operation over 1 y. and after the operation my nervous is damaged.
    2001 & 2003( c5-c6 and c6-c7) my neck operation in same reason and after first operation i have sci. I'm non typical quadriplegia. my right legs work, but left no and my hands work little. Last tree years my pain doctors reduce my pain killers. Earlier I use 200 µg/h. fentanyl plaster. Now I use 36 mg hydro morphine / day. This is about 1/50 what i use earlier. I eat also Lyrica, Clonazepam (Rivotril), paracetamol and Felden (pain gel) Now my every second intervertebral is empty/dry, but doctors don't dare do new operations.

With this medications i can sit only 1 h./day. I'm bed hole day and i cant do anything. Only read, watch TV and internet.
    My pain doctors reduce my painkillers because they say my life time is longer if i use less opioid.

This life is not good. I will do something, but I can't. My all friend life in other towns in Finland and i will meet them sometimes I can do one longer trip /y. but I can't enjoy this because my pains is terrible.
    I don't know what I say my doctor when I meet him next time. I want see my friends and I want travel, but now this is inbossible. My doctor plan put down all my pain killers. Say me, what can I do or say in my pain doctor? This life is not life. I life in small town in Finland and here is only one Pain doctor and other doctors don't give me strong painkillers.

I hope You understand my very bad English
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Terrieri/ Seppo Lindewall
    Finland

Sorry to hear about the challenge you're facing. If you're dealing with neuropathic pain, opiods are generally ineffective. The traditional front-line drugs, often used in combination with others, are Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica (pregabalin).

I can offer a different perspective than David. Although not ideal, opiates are very beneficial and can help with neuropathic pain. I agree that you should try neurontin and lyrica that are more specific for neuropathic pain, but opiates still have a huge role in getting people "through the day" with this problem. If you were to tally up the number of people on this site who use and need opiates to manage their pain, I suspect it would be the majority.

I have to take a combination of Gabapentin, Morphine, and Hydrocone everyday to deal with the pain....you might have to do the same thing. Without it.....I can't function. Good luck.

lyrica & neurontin

i eat lyrica now in full dose. Earlier i eat Neurontin, but they don't help me in af. I need opioids, but now my new pain doctors will stop all opioids for me.

In spring, when Fentanyl drive down I think I die. Then I give Hydro Morphine, But my doctor will stop this also in autumn. I don't know what I do, because after them i can't do anything. In Finnish medical system i can't chance my pain doctor.

Thank's all for answering. I try figure out something.
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Finland

lyrica & neurontin

i eat lyrica now in full dose. Earlier i eat Neurontin, but they don't help me in af. I need opioids, but now my new pain doctors will stop all opioids for me.

In spring, when Fentanyl drive down I think I die. Then I give Hydro Morphine, But my doctor will stop this also in autumn. I don't know what I do, because after them i can't do anything. In Finnish medical system i can't chance my pain doctor.

Thank's all for answering. I try figure out something.
    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by terrieri View Post
    My pain doctors reduce my painkillers because they say my life time is longer if i use less opioid.
    I had this same problem and it took forever to explain and get my doctor to understand that quality of life was more important to me than quantity.

I was almost ready to go on a hospice service just to get some pain relief. He finally got it and asked if I understood that taking more opiates may shorten my life. I told him I understood that and one day without pain was worth a year with it.

I would try to explain how you feel about it one or two times and if he still doesn't understand, get a new doctor.
    c3/c4, injured 2007

I am so sorry you are at this terrible place with your doctor.

When pain gets that bad, life is not worth living so a few extra years is meaningless if the pain makes it so bad you can't enjoy it.

Is there someone else you could possibly talk to? I don't know how your health system works but you said you cannot change pain doctors.

I go out of my mind with pain. Is it possible for your doctor to see you in a physical state like this? When mine gets really bad, I cannot even think enough to function normally. My friends and family have seen it.

If he sees you like that, then maybe he will believe you. What good will living a few extra years be if you are out of your mind in pain.

sending you a (((hug))) I hope your doctor gives you your medications back.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown