Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New T-12 Complete

Hi there
    Are you sure your incomplete. Try taking your finger and try to feel anything around your anus. If you can feel anything at all you are incomplete.
    Welcome
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by KayRog View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and also a new T-12 patient. My injury was May 7th of this year. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital but am home now attending outpatient therapy twice a week. I have no bowel or bladder control but definitely hope to gain that back. I have hips and ab muscles which helps alot. Just this past friday I was fitted with some leg braces and with the help of my therapists took a couple of steps. My hip muscles are very strong. My question is, I see alot of T-12 incomplete here but no completes: Is is possible for a T-12 complete to regain his bowel/bladder control? I do hope to regain both but its not the end of the world if I don't...I feel lucky to be alive.
    My break included T12 with a crush at L1 or maybe L2 (I think after 23 years and a few drinks last night I am fuzzy this morning) but my function level is more S1 or S2. Your injury level is not necessarily your function level. I have hips like you and I am considered complete because of the anus thing. However, I walk with AFO's which are braces that fit me below the knee. My knees move but my feet/ankles are paralyzed as well as various areas along the backs of my legs/butt. I use my abdominal muscles to power my legs/hips also. I can tell when my bladder is full but I do not have sphincter control to hold it in. I can push the urine out. I have not used a catheter since I left the hospital in 1989 but it has taken its toll on my bladder. Same thing with my bowels. I take anti-spasmodic medications for both bowel and bladder to keep control of them. My legs are flaccid which means I do not have spasms but my internal organs like my bladder and colon are spastic. According to my doctors in the past, I am right the opposite of what I should be so my injury does not match my function. Like you, I am just glad to be alive most days LOL. I do have central pain/neuropathic/nerve pain in my legs. You can read more about that in the pain forum here.

My accident happened on May 5, 1989. May is not a good month LOL. I spent two weeks in a trauma hospital and 6 weeks in a rehab hospital...how creepy is that? 6 weeks must be a magic number?

I hope this helps....ask if I can help in any way.

Get all the exercise you can in the pool...this will be great for you. I learned to walk again and gained back my strength mostly in a pool even in the dark 80's LOL.

Welcome to the forums.......Good Luck in your recovery and keep us updated. There is lots of information here.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Hi there
    Are you sure your incomplete. Try taking your finger and try to feel anything around your anus. If you can feel anything at all you are incomplete.
    Welcome
    I have been diagnosed over the years as complete and incomplete depending on which doctor was examining me. I guess I am just one of the strange ones. I have no feeling there but have it other places. How strange is that? LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

called ZPPs- zones of partial preservation but you can still be considered complete ( per ASIA guidelines) with ZPPs.
    CWO

Complete T-12

Thanks everyone for the comments. Since my accident I have regained to L-1 ...I still have no bowel or bladder control but I can tell if I have to go. For bowel, I usually get a pain in my stomach and for the bladder its a different feeling which I can't describe. Its hard getting used to being paralyzed but I'm getting there. I attend outpatient therapy 3 times a week which include swimming and it all helps...I hope to regain everything back. I'm only 4 months in but I have high hopes to walk in.

I am a t11-12 incomplete and I did walk after 6 month and I had bowel and bladder control. I am atraumatic and still have full controll of my feet and I am able to wiggle my toes and move my ankles. The knee and the hips are my problem.
    TH 12, 43 years post