Thread: Question regarding chem sticks when testing urine.

Question regarding chem sticks when testing urine.

I use these sticks to monitor my urine for infections as I'm prone to reoccurring urinary tract infections. All of the sticks have gone from white to pink, and they are only a few months old. To clarify I'm talking about the leukocytes square, which is generally white before it is dipped into the urine. If leukocytes are present it should turn purple. But before even dipping the stick in the urine, it's pink instead of white.
    I bought the generic sticks, does this happen with the more expensive namebrand also?

Thank you greatly for your input!
    Shamrock

I use Diascreen presently, and Roche Chemstrip 7 in the past, no problem with any of the strips regarding leukocytes or others.
    Craig80

It sounds like they might have been compromised with moisture getting in the container. There is an easy way to tell if they will still respond appropriately, if a somewhat bizzare way. Give yourself the tiniest pin prick and add some cells to urine to see if the stick turns purple as it should. It isn't ideal, but the strips are expensive, so if you are buying them without insurance this is one way to not have to waste them.

Blog Entries
    When I bought mine on Amazon, I read the reviews, and one was by a nurse who gave a list of DOs and DONTs. One was to take the strip out carefully, touching only one strip, and then quickly shut the container tightly. I've had mine for 6 or 7 months, and no problems.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

HI,
    You also should consider calling the products customer service number and asking your question. Evan the generics should have a phone number and they know their product best. I have seen where they sometimes offer to replace the current one's you're using.

AAD

Blog Entries
    I just re-read the box on mine, and they cover their butt by stating that they are only good for 3 months after they are first opened
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thank you all for your input, greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Bayer sticks, and the generic ones?

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock88 View Post
    Thank you all for your input, greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Bayer sticks, and the generic ones?
    My guess would be only in price. Usually the off brand are just as good.