View Poll Results: Did you have depression after spinal cord injury

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I was not depressed and never took medication.

34 16.19%
  • Yes, I was mildly depressed and took short-term anti-depression medicaation.

24 11.43%
  • Yes, I was depressed and took long-term anti-depression drugs medication

67 31.90%
  • Yes, I was depressed but never took anti-depressant medication.

85 40.48%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Depression after Spinal Cord Injury

Unhappy

Ten years after my injury I found myself unable to cry any more despite the feeling of great sadness.

depression and guilt

I have a L5 nerve root injury and have left leg paresis. It's only been a month so my emotions are still all over the place. When it first occurred I couldn't move from hip down so when I regained use of hip everyone was so excited and kept saying how great I was doing. They would say a week ago you couldn't walk at all and I'd think, yeah but 8 days ago I was fine. I was so angry and still am at times. But now I feel guilty when I read other peoples stories. I am able to ambulate with assistance and hopefully will improve but the uncertainty is the worst of it. I wish a doctor could say take this med or do this treatment and you will get better but no, all I get from Doctors is a look of pity and a I'm really sorry this happened.

when I inquired years ago about depression. to my sci doc, I thank God that she didn't push drugs on me. She explained that I did not need anti depressant drugs for my situation. it was the circumstances I was then, not a chemical problem that the drugs could fix.

I think docs need to think twice about prescribing antidepressants so liberally, especially when there is a lot of evidence that they greatly increase the risk of suicide..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._b_218465.html

I have my good days and my bad days When I was in sheppard i relised yes im paralised and a low injury. I was "not that bad" compared to my buddy that was a quad And I would have to open his coke for him at lunch time. And seeing people with a tbi, I said to myself how dare you get down on yourself yes this sucks be it could be so much worse! I had depression before being shot but i really dont now yes I do have my off day. But looking at the photos of my car where bullits bounced around the inside of it. And relised that 2 other shots should have hit me and killed me.
    If I was not leaned over the second shot would have hit me in the center of the chest, and the third on hit the seatbelt holder and not my head, I joke the seatbelt saved my life and i was not wearing it lol

Living with a spinal cord injury and experiencing depression is an issue for sure. My injury was at c4/ 5, is incomplete and happened 16 yrs ago...I'm now 33. For different reasons I've found it easy to get down and frustrated about where my life is. I haven't ever been diagnosed with depression but I do get down.

I'm a new sci and you can say I'm depressed. Although I'm filled with energy and the desire to do lots of things I'm still getting depressed because since I'm rather new I'm getting into situations where my limitations show for the first time.

Since I never had a trauma this new life came as a shock. I played with my band, went to the gym and did kickboxing 5 / 6 times a week and have ADHD. So one day I woke up with these limitations and that's hard to accept.

I'm not taking antidepressants since I got them in my early twenties from my doc because he was mistaken my complaints for depression. Years later I found out that my complaints had everything to do with my ADHD. When I found out I quit antidepressants and never felt so much alive after that. So I'm not really fond of going down that road again.

Blog Entries

My SCI-ometer is also rolling over to the ten year mark

Quote Originally Posted by suoz View Post
    Ten years after my injury I found myself unable to cry any more despite the feeling of great sadness.
    and I can say certaintude that my depression is about as heavy as it was when I first learned why my limbs weren't moving to begin with. Never goes away. Still would give my left arm just to have use of my left.

I have a 25 y/o son with a T5-6 SCI from Sept. , 2011 that is depressed and discusses he is giving up on life and doesn't know how much longer he can put up withlife. Any suggestions for my son, he did not get out of bed for almost 20 hours when a friend invited him to snowmobile races. His friends have stopped calling, and he says he has given up on them also. He stated he is tired of crying himself to sleep and wish he didn't wake up in the morning.

He is on an antidepressant and just increased the dose about 4 days ago. As a mother I feel helpless. We also have a 28 year old son that has quadraplegia from 19 months ago. The 25 year old will not go for counseling! Please share any ideas!

Soon after the accident which left me paraplegic I fell in deep depression which lasted a couple of years. During this time talking to friends and crying helped a lot and i didn't have to take medication.

I'm sorry for your very unlucky circumstances. I can't imagine how difficult it might be to have two sons with a SCI. Hopefully things will work out for them both.

In the end, it's up to your sons to get going, nobody can do it for them. I wish your family some good luck for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam4Eric View Post
    I have a 25 y/o son with a T5-6 SCI from Sept. , 2011 that is depressed and discusses he is giving up on life and doesn't know how much longer he can put up withlife. Any suggestions for my son, he did not get out of bed for almost 20 hours when a friend invited him to snowmobile races. His friends have stopped calling, and he says he has given up on them also. He stated he is tired of crying himself to sleep and wish he didn't wake up in the morning.

He is on an antidepressant and just increased the dose about 4 days ago. As a mother I feel helpless. We also have a 28 year old son that has quadraplegia from 19 months ago. The 25 year old will not go for counseling! Please share any ideas!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!