View Poll Results: Did you have depression after spinal cord injury

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I was not depressed and never took medication.

33 16.50%
  • Yes, I was mildly depressed and took short-term anti-depression medicaation.

23 11.50%
  • Yes, I was depressed and took long-term anti-depression drugs medication

63 31.50%
  • Yes, I was depressed but never took anti-depressant medication.

81 40.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Depression after Spinal Cord Injury

I did not have depression or take any meds. I did have some moments of rage at the sheer timing of it all. A slight change and I wouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Andrew

Yes, but I have struggled with chronic depression since my early teens, long before my injury (and in fact is the cause of my injury). I know where my depression stems from and it is not a matter of chemical imbalance. I therefore choose to forego medication. After my sci I was told I would never walk again and my simple response was, "Okay". No tears, no self pity. Just life. Personally, I don't see how it's possible to be fully aware of your surroundings and the state that we all are in as a global unit and not be at least somewhat depressed. My depression is rooted in my own past, but it extends far beyond and encompasses much more than this tiny, fleeting little existence that is me.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

Still take them, but I think I'm through the worst of it. But I don't want to stop them just in case...

Six months post. This is about as much recovery as you will get, the rehab doc. told me. I don't believe him. But still it leaves out walking and building and lets down a lot of people who were counting on me. People I build for and my wife, for an income. I'm sure you all can relate to the sadness of watching ones large well develop muscles turn into skin and bones Trying very hard to stay positive. But in the background of my brain, there is this voice crying out shit I'm depressed. But I try not to listen, and keep positive. It helps being on CC. reading about every one Else's lives. Its very true about realizing daily more things one can not do, and weekly more things one can do. Every one says at least your alive, but I do not find as much comfort out of that as I should. No antidepressants so far. But the sun is out and its a beautiful day.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I answered A) but I take absolutly no credit.

For some reason those demons never came knocking at my door. I cannot take credit for a war that I never had to fight.
    I cannot claim victory over something that never wanted to fight me.

For whatever reason, I accepted what had happened to me right about the time it happened. This was probably because:
    - I did this to myself, so no recrimination etc
    - I always knew racing motorcycles was like playing with fire

Other factors:
    - Loving family
    - Loving girlfriend who became wife
    - new loving step-children
    - employer who continued to provide employment
    - no lack of $
    - no lack of health insurance
    - no pain
    - otherwise healthy
    - at 34 was not too young and not too old
    - some (limited) return
    - sense of humor

Actually, when I read the list above, I'd be a fool to feel down on myself...... it makes me realize just how lucky I still am.

I think if I started losing any of those factors on that list, then life would be progressively tougher. And who knows whats in my future??? I got alot still to lose.

If I had no family, suffered pain, had no job and struggled with bills.......then those demons would be banging down my door day and (especially) night.

For all those who suffer....you have my sincere sympathies. It ain't your fault; perhaps it's simply how long your list isn't.
    Last edited by MarkB701; 07-21-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Meds

I have taken anti depressiants since I was injuried 4 yrs ago. Mainly for nerve pain but i remember telling the doctor before my surgery that if I cant walk dont bother doing the surgery. I have my moments were when I cant do something and I get pissed and fell useless but it passes and I move on.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I couldn’t resist this thread today, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here. I can agree with much of what tskushi26 said back on the 18th.

Depression is a tough subject and in many of our cases, goes deeper than we even know. I use anger rather than depression because I function day to day with work and life, but shove aside the anger I have when I can’t do all the things I used to. This happens with both the things from before the SCI and even from things in my early SCI days (28 yrs post)

Early on, the big things saddened me for sure, walking, running etc. Then the alternate ways we live, bowel, bladder etc. had a big effect on my happiness. I could overcome these issues for a long time, convincing myself that my life wasn’t all that terrible.

As I aged and my body continued to fall apart, my anger worsened. I am independent to a fault. I live alone and do everything for myself and as a c5-6, it isn’t as easy as it used to be and I now feel like I have nothing more to prove – to myself or anyone else.

At the sight of things I used to do, I crash hard. These aren’t necessarily the AB things from years ago, but the reality that even as a WC user, I’m able to do less and less every year. The little things I did ten years ago from the chair are tougher now and the day is coming when they will be out of reach too.

This is where the anger gets to me. And it’s so true that only we can relate to each other. Believe me, this site helps. Especially right now. I decided to check in here because I’ve recently started to address this anger issue within myself once again. A new relationship is forcing me to hopefully make progress – the person isn’t forcing me, but I’m forcing myself so I don’t screw up yet another relationship.

What a big help this is – looking forward to reading more. Good luck all.

I was majorly depressed basically the first 2 years. I cried every night for almost the first 6 months. I thought once I got out of the hospital and rehab, and got home things would get better. It never did. I finally was put on Cymbalta, it didn't seem to help.

I was a cutter when I was in my teens, and the year after my accident I got back into doing that. It helped more than any pills ever did.

But now 5 years later, I feel only slightly depressed I suppose. I found the perfect thing that drug me out of a dark place. My niece came to live with my parents, which where I lived. She was 3 months old and had a mom that was a herion addict and could care less. And she needed me, and I needed her.

2 years after that little girl moved in, I'm helping raise her, and she truely is the light in my life. Everything I do is for her. And she makes me want to get up in the morning and just be a better person in general. Some days things still get me down, but the days that I"m smiling and just happy to be alive surpass those.

Due to the circumstances surrounding my accident I had a lot of anger, it was the form of depression I prefered, hard as hell on the people in my life though. Never took antidepressants, except in the form of reckless behavior. I lost my anger a few years ago, someone wanted to make it go away, and did. I see it as each of us handle it the best they can in their own way.

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    My SCI will be 4 yrs in Sept. And I have been on and off anti- depressants since then, I take Cymbalta for my nerve pain but spike in Abilify for the depression. I went off the Abilify for 8 months but last month found myself needing to get back on it.

Evonne
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome