Page 1 of 41 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

Anybody looking forward to watching this new reality TV show?

Website http://www.push-girls.com

Description
    Like any sexy, dynamic Hollywood women, Angela, Tiphany, Mia and Auti are four friends who yearn to get the most out of life. But, their lives have taken an unexpected turn. Through accident or illness, these women have been paralyzed from the neck or waist down. But while their legs may be disabled, their spirits remain unbroken. Pushing beyond their handicaps to face life head on, these four fearless women pursue their own claims to happiness, even when their lives threaten to spin out of control. From dating to careers to starting a family, they push themselves – and each other – to the limit. Push Girls is an unfettered, uncensored glimpse into their surprising world – one that will shatter all expectations about what life in a wheelchair can be.

Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Nominate Spirited Women to Push Girl Hall of Fame

PUSH GIRL
    a) A fierce, fearless woman who doesn't let life's challenges get in the way of what she wants

b) Anyone who overcomes adversity with a never-say-die attitude and sense of humor.

Got your own Push Girl in mind? Your friend, your mom, your icon, some random superwoman we need to know about? Submit a photo on our wall, and tell us why she’s got that Push Girl mojo.

https://www.facebook.com/PushGirls/app_382280995156622

"If You Can't Stand Up, Stand Out"

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Watched the first episode this weekend on Hulu Plus and it was off to a good start.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Thanks for that. It was pleasantly surprising. If they keep that pace, it might not turn into an exploitative reality show.

I wonder what the going rate for an ad during Push Girls is?

I can't forget that is the reason TV exists, not to do the disabled community any favors, but there appears IMO for my early suspicious criticisms to have been entirely pre-judgemental, in the wrong ways.

It was a decent convergence of 'reality' with 'TV'...

...but it's still TV.

They may yet make a believer out of me.

After just one episode Ive gone from "Ewwwww!" to "Cautiously optimistic"!

Nicely done, Push Girls!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I've not watched any of it...but.

I suppose that any real-life documentary about HC people has to do two, completely opposing things:
    1) show HC people in a positive light that says "hey! we're not so different - we're just like you, real people who can be competant, fun, sexy, obnoxious" etc.
    2) show the real-life struggles of having something like a spinal chord injury. The public thinks that we just cannot walk, yet it is so much more than that. There are other issues: skin, bowel, bladder, sexual, incontinence, pain etc etc.

If the program ignores 2) and just focuses on 1), then it will piss us off because it is just putting a fake gloss on our suffering.

If the program overdoes the 2) stuff, then it completely undermines any attempt at making point 1) - we are clearly not just like everyone else.

So, to those who have watched it, does it strike a good balance between 1) and 2)...? If so, then I'd probably want to watch it.

I think it did a great job in balancing the two.

I expect the criticism of the disabled community might be that these girls have more advantages than many of us in regards to independence. They also are sponsored with stylish wheelchairs with features most of us can't afford and insurance won't pay for. But they have paid their dues to earn them by representing the companies and working at creating a positive public image.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I've not watched any of it...but.

I suppose that any real-life documentary about HC people has to do two, completely opposing things:
    1) show HC people in a positive light that says "hey! we're not so different - we're just like you, real people who can be competant, fun, sexy, obnoxious" etc.
    2) show the real-life struggles of having something like a spinal chord injury. The public thinks that we just cannot walk, yet it is so much more than that. There are other issues: skin, bowel, bladder, sexual, incontinence, pain etc etc.

If the program ignores 2) and just focuses on 1), then it will piss us off because it is just putting a fake gloss on our suffering.

If the program overdoes the 2) stuff, then it completely undermines any attempt at making point 1) - we are clearly not just like everyone else.

So, to those who have watched it, does it strike a good balance between 1) and 2)...? If so, then I'd probably want to watch it.

it does do a good job at balancing the two. people's criticisms seem to surround the fact that these women are good looking. apparently if you're born good looking, you cannot be good spokespeople. such a bunch of crap! what they had to say in the sneak peak(real full episode is tonight) is the same things people on this forum have been talking about for years. so it's spot on imho
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/