Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: hotels annoy me

I have had this problem sometimes when we travel need two beds in a handicap room. Not only do i need to beds but i also need pet friendly due to the fact the i never leave my two four legged babies behind so finding a hotel is very hard. What we do if we are going to stay several days is try to find a microtel they have handicap rooms with roll in showers with two beds and some have ajoining rooms. It was so hard sometimes to find what i needed and wanted we just bought a travel trailer and it is AWSOME. We had it modified to fit our exact needs and its the best thing we have ever purchased. Not only does it fit my disablitiy needs perfectly, its cleaner that a hotel room, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

We are dealing with the sad fact that "cripples" were supposed to stay at home and do nothing, therefore those of us that travel, shop, work, stay at hotels, etc, have to trailblaze the way. Many of us here are doing that, and it entails daily struggle, and daily confrontation with those that do not "get it." But slowly we achieve results. Keep fighting, Addiesue!! I too raise a stink when needed. My last was to refuse to be carried upstairs onto a plane and demand a lift.

I get frustrated with this too. When we go on vacation, it's hard to find an accessible room for me in the chair, hubby, and our 2 kids, because they seem to have only one bed. Putting in cots or a rollaway is not usually allowed, because the room is only "approved" to sleep 2-3. And if we added a cot or rollaway, I wouldn't have enough open area to wheel around. We've had hotels tell us that we can book a second room (at no discount), or we can just stay in a regular non-accessible room. Really??? My kids were 5 and 6 at the time. There's no way I would leave them down the hall in a separate room, and I didn't want my husband to be in the separate room and leave me with no help.

Then occasionally, we end up at a really awesome hotel that has 2 beds in the accessible room and has wonderful bathroom facilities. It would be nice if those ones were the norm! Unfortunately, most often we run into problems - even when we've tried to call ahead to check on possible issues.

Casa marina key west all handicapped rooms located with no view of ocean. Period. Not one. Shower bench too low toilet too low. Bed too high. Needed help getting out of shower bench as chair was soaked as floor was soaked Darn bed was elevated. Seriously what a waste of a out of the way poor location handicapped room section. Boooooo
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

When I worked, my company put us up in better hotels like the Renaissance, Marriot and Wyndham and the accessible rooms had perfect height beds, big rooms to manuever around, big roll-in shower bathrooms. As a quad who's independent with personal care I need all this if I'm going to be able to stay in this room alone. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay 400 bucks a night, so when I travel (pleasure) I book rooms with comfort suites or hamptons inn. I've had good luck with the these two places where the rooms have been fairly accessible.

Although my last trip at a fort worth comfort suites didn't go so smoothly. When we went to check-in the desk guy told me there weren't any accessible room available when earlier he was standing right next to the girl who assurred me she was saving me an accessible room with roll-in shower. After my sister and brother-in-law went ballistic on the guy (that didn't get us anywhere) we took the keys to check out the room he said was hc accessible but not a roll-in shower. I was bummed, but my BIL said he would put my showerchair in the tub and I would just have to do a couple more transfers or he could stay and lift me onto the showerchair and wash me lol (that made us all laugh.) Anyway, the room was in fact a roll in shower the fat fuck (desk guy) didn't read all the way down to get the information for this room. The only big problem for me was the entrance to the bathroom had about a inch lip (is this the right word?) that prevented me from rolling right in. So I used this board that I guess is for your laptop when you sit in bed, and I made it into a little ramp. It worked but was a little scary. For a para this is laughable but I couldn't do it especially with my arm that is giving me trouble.

We need to take pics of the places we stay and give reviews.

I just spent a few days at a motel 6, that was very accessible as far as the room, bed, doors and bathroom, EXCEPT the tub bench. I should have taken a picture, but the tub had a bench designed like a bridge over the very end of the tub. A downhill transfer, which of course meant that the trip BACK to the chair was almost impossible. While on the bench, I could not reach the controls, and there was a very sturdy grab bar on the wall at the end of the tub, poking into my back and forcing me forward on said bench.

I suggested to the manager that she try to shower in the bench. Haven't heard back yet.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I just spent a few days at a motel 6, that was very accessible as far as the room, bed, doors and bathroom, EXCEPT the tub bench. I should have taken a picture, but the tub had a bench designed like a bridge over the very end of the tub. A downhill transfer, which of course meant that the trip BACK to the chair was almost impossible. While on the bench, I could not reach the controls, and there was a very sturdy grab bar on the wall at the end of the tub, poking into my back and forcing me forward on said bench.

I suggested to the manager that she try to shower in the bench. Haven't heard back yet.
    Ya, I had the same setup at a Motel 6 I stayed at last May when I was doing the Marathon up in Vermont. Somehow I made it work, turned on the shower first with the nozzle aimed at the bench and then did a quick transfer to the bench with the water running. Not the greatest setup though. The room like you said was not too bad though for a el cheapo hotel.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by retto76 View Post
    I get frustrated with this too. When we go on vacation, it's hard to find an accessible room for me in the chair, hubby, and our 2 kids, because they seem to have only one bed. Putting in cots or a rollaway is not usually allowed, because the room is only "approved" to sleep 2-3. And if we added a cot or rollaway, I wouldn't have enough open area to wheel around. We've had hotels tell us that we can book a second room (at no discount), or we can just stay in a regular non-accessible room. Really??? My kids were 5 and 6 at the time. There's no way I would leave them down the hall in a separate room, and I didn't want my husband to be in the separate room and leave me with no help.

Then occasionally, we end up at a really awesome hotel that has 2 beds in the accessible room and has wonderful bathroom facilities. It would be nice if those ones were the norm! Unfortunately, most often we run into problems - even when we've tried to call ahead to check on possible issues.
    This is exactly our problem too. We have a young child, and even if he could theoretically stay alone, we don't have the money to shell out for TWO rooms!! That would make virtually every trip we make not affordable enough to be able to take. Not when he could just stay in the same room in the next bed over.

If we are traveling alone, I love the king accessible..... oh wait, we haven't done that since our honeymoon. <--- where Small Boy (who was 4 at the time) joined us after just 2 days LOL
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

My wife and I are both chair users and have been using hotel rooms together since 1972. Back then on the road we would usually use Howard Johnsons and then Holiday Inns, both had actual handicapped rooms but these would often have low toilets, tubs w sliding glass partition doors, etc. We never however encountered the dreaded super high bed. Sometimes we went w/o a morning shower due to dangerous looking tubs but we could always use the bed. This continued over the decades w lots of trips all over the country. It wasn't until after ADA was established law that we encountered the high bed. It has been explained to us that this glitch is due to failure to include a standard for hotel beds in ADA, however, I see it as intentional disregard on the part of hotel chains. How much feedback do they need to be given before they realize that they need to provide a bed less than 25" high in h'capped rooms, one that also allows positioning of a lift base under the bed. I think that hotel chains are mainly seeking to meet the needs of an aging senior population, the folks who take your parking place at the mall then walk apparently unimpaired into the mall where they walk the aisles for an hour for exercise. The wheelchair population represents too much additional effort and potential liability.

I am very happy that they will be compelled to supply lifts for their pools but would love to see some nationwide disability advocacy group lobby for that bed standard because I think the chains have no interest in making the effort otherwise.

We've had great success with Marriott Corporation. They have hotel groups ranging from the inexpensive Fairfield Inns to Courtyards aimed more at midrange business travelers to the full service higher up Marriotts and Marriott Hotels and Spas to the, haven't tried these yet, the suplime Ws. You make reservations at the one you want and then you are connected to their ADA line that confirms that hotel has what you need, when you need it and can actually get you measurements if needed of different things. They normally have the 2 Queens with a roll in shower in the Fairfields although we have run into a couple that required a trip back to the front desk to ask for maintanence to stop by and remove 4 tiny wing nut screws under the sink. Seems whoever the interior decorator was on in a few districts thought the roll under sinks looked 'unfinished' and had that corrected. A few independent places we've been to have had the same problem=great architects and lousy decorator follow through. Marriott will call you after you are home and ask for feedback when that happens while the independent places varied. Courtyards and the main Marriotts have both 2 queens with a roll in or a king and a tub with shower and bench and the reverse. We like the kings with roll in when we can get them. Fairfields offer free breakfast and wifi for free normally. Courtyards vary on how extensive a restaurant they have but all offer some kind of quick breakfast and most have seperate bars. Wifi normally runs $9.95 a night. Marriotts have at least one and normally two restaurants, seperate bar, wifi is about $12.95. All have normal height beds and I'm pretty sure the newer of all 3 have a few non-box bottom beds. All 3 are non-smoking, service dogs free, other dogs run from $75 to $250 for a one time cleaning fee. Their free shuttles when offered are still not close to having an accessible shuttle at each hotel that offers them. All have various degrees of gyms and pools and hot tubs. Haven't seen a lift yet but expect their more vacation type locations won't fight too hard to not install them. Best deal going if you travel a lot is to get their VISA card. Points when staying climb fast and all purchases including grocery stores and gas stations add points. So many stays with a certain period sends you from silver to gold to platinum and the wifi fees disappear and bennies show up. Free stays are not a galaxy away or come with huge black outs. Actually I've never seen a black out date. The Spas require transferring for hair or manicures and I've only been in one to get nail glue and they fixed my nail for free since they only had their stuff and none for resale except actual nail polish. Ws are very individual and a friend who stays at a few when on vacation says he's never seen a wheelchair or a wheeler in one. He pays attention to such things because he sends his employees on work trips and knows his ADA. If I had a complaint about Marriott it wouldn't be access but all their beds now have tempurpedic foam overlays and I have serious problems trying to move on that stuff and find them hot.
    Microtels are supposed to cater to the disabled especially and the few we've stayed at have been so cramped I wonder about those ads. I do remember the last did have 2 queens and a...slide in shower? It had a flip down wooden bench as you enter the bathroom on the left and the shower head aims back toward the door. I prefer using my own shower/toilet travel seat and it would be hard to do a transfer to it in the space allowed. But it has been awhile.
    Ditto other on the newer Holiday Inn Expresses. The norm is 2 queens and a roll in but most also have at least one room with a king and a tub with a bench. And a roll under sink. Wifi and breakfasts are free and many have free weekday afternoon happy hours with fresh popcorn. Also throw in a gym and pool.
    Avoid all old Ramada Inns on the east coast from Baltimore to Daytona Beach. I never met one that was accessile. If the room was then the toilet wasn't. I do need a toilet and the room doors are wide enough but grab bars often block none walkers from getting to the toilet and sink.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.