Thread: Pistol shooting competition anybody do it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pistol shooting competition anybody do it?

IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, some kind of practical pistol shooting competition.

I am about to move to a more rural town where there will be more opportunities to do stuff like this, and if you've done it, I'd like to hear any suggestions that you have. Even if you haven't done it maybe you can help me figure out what I need to do.

I have a carry permit, and I carry, and I worked out how to mount a gun on my hip, so that part is down. The big problem I have right now is figuring out how to move once I've drawn the gun. I am not going to reholster the gun on my hip every time I move, it's just too impractical, time consuming and dangerous. I was thinking about mounting something on the side of my chair which would keep the pistol pointing down at the ground while I transition between shooting stations. Towards that purpose I bought a cup holder (one of these http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Caddy-U.../dp/B00024JK9G) not realizing it swivels in just about every direction, meaning a top heavy gun flips the cup holder right over.

Anybody got any bright ideas about a rig to keep the gun safely pointing down. It needs to be easy to drop the gun in and out, I thought about getting a cheap holster to put on my chair leg, but I'd rather have something that would be quicker (I want to drop it in, move and grab it out, not spend 4 or 5 seconds trying to stuff the gun into a cheap nylon holster that is collapsing on itself).

Whatcha got?

BTW, I will be shooting a full size 1911, so the slide/barrel is pretty long.

Funklab
    I love 3 Gun
    I shot a 1911 Kimber, JP AR 15 and FN tactical shotgun in competition.
    This is a tough one and I have been thinking about it for almost a year. I shot IDPA, 3 Gun, and Steel Challenge. I'm a Safety officer as well.
    In IDPA, USPSA we draw the weapon and move to complete the stage for time and score.
    Drawing
    Drawing from a seated position is one of the most unsafe moves made and stages are not often set up to start that way because of it. Too much leg in front of the gun as you draw. We call it sweeping body parts, not good if gun goes off.
    Movement
    The competitor must be in control of the gun pointed down range as we move with finger off the trigger.

How in the hell am I going to do that when I can hardly get a soda to the sofa.
    They are not going to let us set the gun in our lap, put it back in the holster or put it in a cup holder.
    An electric chair is still hard because the controls are out front and the gun has to stay out in front of body parts.
    The ironic part is IDPA is to practice real world situations but it doesn't fit us well anymore. But so are the days of blasting up Red Cone in Colorado or Poison Spider trail in Moab.
    That leaves us the Steel Challenge. We shoot this starting with gun out and down range in the 22 class. Their is little to no movement. Check it out.
    Still check with the local IDPA club and go to a match or two. See what you may be able to do with minor mods. Blackhawk makes a holster Kydex with a finger draw lock. If you could get that mounted onto a post off the front tube of the chair out in front at a 45 angle that may work for some stages. You and I may not shoot for score against the others but I bet they will still let us shoot some. I have not gone back yet, it will be a year since I competed next month. I want to and I don't at the same time. I miss the people the most.
    Good luck and let me know.
    CJ
    IDPA Marksman CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Cjt8 View Post
    Funklab
    I love 3 Gun
    I shot a 1911 Kimber, JP AR 15 and FN tactical shotgun in competition.
    This is a tough one and I have been thinking about it for almost a year. I shot IDPA, 3 Gun, and Steel Challenge. I'm a Safety officer as well.
    In IDPA, USPSA we draw the weapon and move to complete the stage for time and score.
    Drawing
    Drawing from a seated position is one of the most unsafe moves made and stages are not often set up to start that way because of it. Too much leg in front of the gun as you draw. We call it sweeping body parts, not good if gun goes off.
    Movement
    The competitor must be in control of the gun pointed down range as we move with finger off the trigger.

How in the hell am I going to do that when I can hardly get a soda to the sofa.
    They are not going to let us set the gun in our lap, put it back in the holster or put it in a cup holder.
    An electric chair is still hard because the controls are out front and the gun has to stay out in front of body parts.
    The ironic part is IDPA is to practice real world situations but it doesn't fit us well anymore. But so are the days of blasting up Red Cone in Colorado or Poison Spider trail in Moab.
    That leaves us the Steel Challenge. We shoot this starting with gun out and down range in the 22 class. Their is little to no movement. Check it out.
    Still check with the local IDPA club and go to a match or two. See what you may be able to do with minor mods. Blackhawk makes a holster Kydex with a finger draw lock. If you could get that mounted onto a post off the front tube of the chair out in front at a 45 angle that may work for some stages. You and I may not shoot for score against the others but I bet they will still let us shoot some. I have not gone back yet, it will be a year since I competed next month. I want to and I don't at the same time. I miss the people the most.
    Good luck and let me know.
    CJ
    IDPA Marksman CDP
    Hey Cjt8 thanks for the reply.

I thought about a holster up front, but I'd really rather avoid that route, just because I don't want to be feeling rushed when reholstering anything. I'd rather have something more like a basket/bucket type of deal that has some give to it (ie I don't have to firmly put it in exactly the right position), but will keep the gun pointing down. If cocked, locked and down in a holster is fine for competition, I think cocked locked and down in some kind of secure contraption would be okay as well for moving around a bit.

I've seen at least one guy run a course (USPSA if I remember right) with the holster on his frame, he just reholstered it after each shooting position.

You make a good point about drawing being the dangerous part, however I think that's true for AB as well. If you've got to use a hip holster, you can't really avoid the fact that the gun is pointing at your leg. However, drawing slightly to the side and being mindful of where the barrel is pointing, I don't think I would end up sweeping myself (or anybody else).

I've even considered moving with the gun in my hand. I can (and would) do it in a real life situation, pushing the pushrim with my fingertips while holding the pistol grip in my hand, and as long as I was moving forward, I would always be in control with the gun pointed downrange. However, if I was doing that, there is pretty much no way I could safely move laterally, or turn very much to the right, which would limit me much in the same way a forward facing holster would (violating the 180 degree rule if you turned away from the targets).

I gotta say, the last part of your post makes me think you really need to get back out there and do some more IDPAing yourself

I don't know where there are any steel matches like you mentioned around me, and to be honest thats not really what I want to do. I carry, and I figure IDPA is the most realistic practicing I can do, even if I have to do some things unrealistically to be safe.

I used to shoot years back with a local club , but since it was local and not a santioned event one of the range officers would push me at almost a running speed between stations while I was able to hold the pistol at a safe direction. But I dont think is allowed at a sanctioned event, but it was fun.
    I mostley got into reloading and bench rest shooting with a 6mm br , nice round for 300-500 yards..
    Gary

Can this cowboy join the discussion? I just want to say they have no comp. that I'm aware of,but I love the range...only 1 chair friendly booth.I don't have great strength in my good hand,so I love the lighter models.Those guys are cool and very helpful at the range( and girls ) Funklab I'm sorry you didn't get lot of responses,but remember where you are.I feel like some won't give me time of day, because of my name,but others are great!I think we should be able to protect ourselves! Gunnslinger8. PULL!!!!!!!!LOL

ever watch the show sons of guns? i bet if you called them up, they would come up with something. might even make the show. that would be cool. good luck.

Well I found a range around here which has some competitions. I shot a PCCA match, which I'm sure no one has ever heard of (as far as I know the range I shot at just made it up), but basically it's a Pocket Pistol competition. You shoot IDPAish scenarios with a max of 5 rounds and a max of 3" barrel. Only about half the stages required reloading. It was pretty fun, even though they had to modify some of the courses for me, because there was no way I was going to push through big chunky, loose gravel with a loaded gun in my hand (or on my lap!).

Gunslinger, you need to check out some Cowboy Action matches! My dad used to do those, and they looked like fun, but I never tried it out.