Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Montreal

Visiting Montreal

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I am considering flying up to Montreal in 10 days with my brother to check out the Osheaga Festival Musique et Arts.

My main questions are how accessible is Montreal, and how will we fare without being able to speak any french? I really wanna go, but I hear from some people that you get "snubbed" quite a bit when speaking English. I'm limited to VERY BASIC french speaking skills(only a few words, no sentences)

thx in advance!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I am planning to go to Montreal this summer too.....waiting for experience users to post here....
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

There are two very different parts of Downtown Montreal. You shouldn't have any problem getting around the newer areas. But Old Montreal could be difficult. They may be full of cobblestones, rough sidewalks, and unpaved streets. forget about getting into many shops or restaurants in the old areas as the buildings are over 100 years old. Beautiful part of town, though.
    I haven't been there in 8 years - maybe things have changed since then.

You'll get along fine now knowing any french. Most everyone there is bilingual.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    The Able Chef( i think) has posted a sight in a thread about accessibility around Montreal. I was there for a week earlier this summer, accessibility is definitely NOT a priority in Canada. Finding an accessible hotel wasn't easy either. A lot will come down to your ability and how bad you want to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    The Able Chef( i think) has posted a sight in a thread about accessibility around Montreal. I was there for a week earlier this summer, accessibility is definitely NOT a priority in Canada. Finding an accessible hotel wasn't easy either. A lot will come down to your ability and how bad you want to get around.
    Wheelchair Accessibility is DEFINITELY a priority in Canada but NOT in Quebec. As a visitor you can call STM (paratransit) and I think you'll be use it for free while you're there. Finding a washroom may be a challenge as there are NO laws requiring an accessible washroom. The gym I train at only has an accessible washroom for women. Montreal is a great city when you look past all the bullshit. I personally want to move but I've lived here for over 4 years. Your best bet for a hotel is using www.hotels.ca, search for an wheelchair accessible room and then call them directly, ask for pictures. I travel with my padded toilet seat and hope the hotel has a shower bench. If not, I lug mine with me.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    Hopefully someone can help me out here. I am considering flying up to Montreal in 10 days with my brother to check out the Osheaga Festival Musique et Arts.

My main questions are how accessible is Montreal, and how will we fare without being able to speak any french? I really wanna go, but I hear from some people that you get "snubbed" quite a bit when speaking English. I'm limited to VERY BASIC french speaking skills(only a few words, no sentences)

thx in advance!
    Oh you don't speak French.......some people will snub you. I speak French, not fluently, and I still get snubbed. Some people may even tell they don't speak English when in reality they do. The downtown area is English-friendly. I don't care if anyone snubs me though, I'm used to it. You call me if you have any problems and I'd be glad to help. PM me for my number.

When do you plan to go?
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    There are two very different parts of Downtown Montreal. You shouldn't have any problem getting around the newer areas. But Old Montreal could be difficult. They may be full of cobblestones, rough sidewalks, and unpaved streets. forget about getting into many shops or restaurants in the old areas as the buildings are over 100 years old. Beautiful part of town, though.
    I haven't been there in 8 years - maybe things have changed since then.

You'll get along fine now knowing any french. Most everyone there is bilingual.
    Getting into shops even in the downtown area can be a problem. I live in the Plateau and there are many shops that have a few steps. But there are many shops that are accessible also many people who are willing to help. You don't have to ask either, someone will ask if you need help.

Oddly enough France is more accessible than Montreal and its 1000's of years old. Montreal has a lot of catching up to do.
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    Oh you don't speak French.......some people will snub you. I speak French, not fluently, and I still get snubbed. Some people may even tell they don't speak English when in reality they do.
    that tears it. I won't even leave the hotel except to play ball during the Canadian Wheelchair Rugby Championships in Montreal next spring.
    Being from out west I had always heard francophones were some of the most ignorant people this country had to offer, now I've heard it from the horses' mouth. Simply ridiculous.
    Our tourism motto in Alberta is "Smile, you're a tourist attraction." I guess we must seem like a bunch of hillbillies compared to a dignified Montrealer.
    I think I'll wear an American flag around and possibly a cowboy hat, also a bumper sticker on my chair that reads "Everything is bigger in Texas". And a taser to protect myself.

I've spent my entire disabled life in Montreal (10 years). The link in my signature goes to a project I worked on last year, I took about 1700 pics and made 75 youtube clips giving rundowns of different areas. I live downtown. My son is going to Osheaga with my ex to see Eminem.

For inexpensive lodging the McGill residence hall is your best bet:
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/mcgi...ill+residences

They have cheap, accessible rooms and a mall downstairs with a pharmacy and big grocery store.
    Stay the hell away from Old Montreal.

The downtown core is somewhat accessible, with one step sometimds to get into the stores on Ste. Catherine. St. Laurent, St. Denis and Mont Royal are touch and go... if you can't get into a bar/café/resto there will be one a few doors down.

I'm fluent after 17 years, but it's easy to speak English. People that snub you have to get over themselves. Then again, it sounds like the people Tooley's been talking to need to get over themselves too. Alberta will separate before Quebec will.

Able Chef, you're on the plateau? I'm in the McGill Ghetto. We should go for beers.
    Last edited by christopher; 07-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    I've spent my entire disabled life in Montreal (10 years). The link in my signature goes to a project I worked on last year, I took about 1700 pics and made 75 youtube clips giving rundowns of different areas. I live downtown. My son is going to Osheaga with my ex to see Eminem.

For inexpensive lodging the McGill residence hall is your best bet:
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/mcgi...ill+residences

They have cheap, accessible rooms and a mall downstairs with a pharmacy and big grocery store.
    Stay the hell away from Old Montreal.

The downtown core is somewhat accessible, with one step sometimds to get into the stores on Ste. Catherine. St. Laurent, St. Denis and Mont Royal are touch and go... if you can't get into a bar/café/resto there will be one a few doors down.

I'm fluent after 17 years, but it's easy to speak English. People that snub you have to get over themselves. Then again, it sounds like the people Tooley's been talking to need to get over themselves too. Alberta will separate before Quebec will.

Able Chef, you're on the plateau? I'm in the McGill Ghetto. We should go for beers.
    You think Alberta will separate before Quebec? I used to get snubbed from time to time but I've learned to talk to the right people. Montreal is a beautiful city though.

I'm in the Plateau, love the area. Beers? Let's do it!
    Never Give Up!